• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I feel sorry for the younger generation

Grants. Why can you not admit to the hiring culture problem? It is well documented at this point.

Nah, I dont agree. What is your field? Maybe it's specific to your field but one of the jobs I worked at WHILE getting an education was in a Human Resources Dept.

And I've worked for big corps and had to hire people later as well. Create job descriptions, interview people, etc.

I really do.

I had a few over to the house the other day to fish one of the ponds. One of them exclaimed, "You must be rich!" when they looked around my house.

Um no, we aren't, but my generation had better opportunities like better paying jobs and college was much much cheaper! At some point the fact that this younger generation doesn't have the opportunities we baby boomers did, and either can't afford college or are saddled with debt when they graduate is going to hit the fan.

So what happens when the middle class younger generation can't afford a home or even a decent car and has to settle for fast food jobs below minimum wage? And they can't afford to move away from Mom and Dad? I see catastrophe in the making. Or am I wrong?

Red:
If they're smart, they do the same thing any other smart individual who can't "make it" (to his/her satisfaction) where s/he finds him-/herself does: emigrate.

Why should I accept less than half the average salary of that job? I cannot live off that, I have to pay my bills too. All that tells employers is that they can abuse the living **** out of you. Do you not see the problem I am pointing out, corporate culture has turned away from training new people and instead seeks people with more experience for entry-level jobs, that is the problem graduates are facing these days. In the short-term it harms graduates, in the long-term it will harm businesses.

So then dont.

No, corps havent moved away from training...but why should they pay more for someone not yet trained?

And how does it harm businesses long term?

That is pretty much exactly what you described but a key part of those systems is free or nearly free university for those that choose that path.

IMO there's no reason that 2nd part has to be part of it.

Nah, I dont agree. What is your field? Maybe it's specific to your field but one of the jobs I worked at WHILE getting an education was in a Human Resources Dept.

And I've worked for big corps and had to hire people later as well. Create job descriptions, interview people, etc.

Business analysis and information systems I don't want to expand more than as it you could very easily figure out what school I go to form that, I tried applying to an entry-level HR analyst position I could do but apparently they only want people with experience working with HR systems. That is the perfect example of my situation, they want familiarity and experience will all these tools and systems you are not going to get unless you get that job and receive training.

There was a study I found a while back that found that the average experienced asked for in entry-level job positions now is 3-5 years.

IMO there's no reason that 2nd part has to be part of it.

Yes it does, why should a person be forced into another path when they do not have the preparation, interest, or skills to do so? It allows optimal use of people's skills in society.

So then dont.

No, corps havent moved away from training...but why should they pay more for someone not yet trained?

And how does it harm businesses long term?

They have moved away from it, the experience and familiarity demanded for entry-level positions keeps growing. I am not asking they pay more, but they do need to invest if they care about the future of their company. The most common excuse is they will jump ship when they receive it, this is not rue if you actually value our employees and not just lip service, something many corporations still fail to grasp.

Business analysis and information systems I don't want to expand more than as it you could very easily figure out what school I go to form that, I tried applying to an entry-level HR analyst position I could do but apparently they only want people with experience working with HR systems. That is the perfect example of my situation, they want familiarity and experience will all these tools and systems you are not going to get unless you get that job and receive training.

There was a study I found a while back that found that the average experienced asked for in entry-level job positions now is 3-5 years.

Huh. I got promoted to a BA position when someone else had a family emergency. I stepped in, did get a raise, and did get plenty of assistance as someone new to the role.

yeah, there is a ton of software out there on that stuff, and most places have proprietary front ends. You can find those tools (whatever they're using)and learn them and more than that, most of the questions you'd have using those tools are all answered online. Then you can claim to 'know' them.

LOL my first BA project was on 2 teams integrating such tools.

They have moved away from it, the experience and familiarity demanded for entry-level positions keeps growing. I am not asking they pay more, but they do need to invest if they care about the future of their company.

You arent entitled to anything...if you need to be competitive to get those jobs, then you need to do what's necessary. But you arent going to 'change' them (as implied from your earlier post) from where you are now.

If you think what I described doing myself was easy, think again. So if you are just graduating now, in your early 20s, believe me it will be a lot easier then than in your 30s or later.

Grants. Why can you not admit to the hiring culture problem? It is well documented at this point.

Because if I did I would be sitting at my parent’s house idle doing nothing with my life. I got better things to worry about then “hiring culture problems”

I say this out of love, you need to purge this thinking from your mind because it will consume you and stifle you if you let it. This is why I regularly attend mass and keep active in my church, caring my spiritual health makes my career advance faster and with more focus. I make over two times what I did just two years ago. I’ll drop this issue now, won’t bring it up again, but I do believe it’s helped me so don’t dismiss it out of hand.

Also consider other career tracks. Does Canadian Forces take decent college grads for an officer training school?

Or do they have reserves? Like if you can enlist in a military reserve, your commanding officers and staff NCOs might have connections and employers like military experience as it shows discipline and teamwork skills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes it does, why should a person be forced into another path when they do not have the preparation, interest, or skills to do so? It allows optimal use of people's skills in society.

What force? The kids decide what they want to do. THe career counselors tell them what they need to do to attain that. They also tell them if they can find the jobs locally, what they pay, etc etc.

I only suggested REQUIRING every kid to prepare a career goal and plan and then have the counselor and parents guide them and make sure they follow thru.

Then if they get out of school and dont pursue their goal...they have no one to blame for their minimum wage jobs but themselves.

What force? The kids decide what they want to do. THe career counselors tell them what they need to do to attain that. They also tell them if they can find the jobs locally, what they pay, etc etc.

I only suggested REQUIRING every kid to prepare a career goal and plan and then have the counselor and parents guide them and make sure they follow thru.

Then if they get out of school and dont pursue their goal...they have no one to blame for their minimum wage jobs but themselves.

Well in those countries that is what they do except it is enforced by what kind of school you go to and what classes you take. However what happens when someone who belongs on the university path like many finds school unaffordable? Are they just expected to give up? Forcing students to take out massive student loans only means society pays a much greater cost later. But if university was made free or nearly free that would not be a problem, and every kid with a path destined for university can attend and use their skills to benefit society.

Because if I did I would be sitting at my parent’s house idle doing nothing with my life. I got better things to worry about then “hiring culture problems”

I say this out of love, you need to purge this thinking from your mind because it will consume you and stifle you if you let it. This is why I regularly attend mass and keep active in my church, caring my spiritual health makes my career advance faster and with more focus. I make over two times what I did just two years ago. I’ll drop this issue now, won’t bring it up again, but I do believe it’s helped me so don’t dismiss it out of hand.

Also consider other career tracks. Does Canadian Forces take decent college grads for an officer training school?

It is not a way of thinking it is a fact of the modern job market. I am not giving up, I will do it, but I am pointing out the difficulties people like myself face.

I could not join the Armed Forces even I wanted to. Business people do not make good nor willing soldiers. You get paid less, lose your mobility rights, and not to mention you have to join the army.

It is great religion works for you but it doesn't work for others including me.

Just look at where liberal policies have landed us.

College too expensive? Which administration took over the private college loan industry?

Education system not teaching the young adults what they need to know to succeed in the modern workplace? It's rife with liberal / progressive indoctrination.

Young adults that won't apply themselves? That'd be on their parents not teaching them the value of hard work and doing so.

Young adults that feel entitled? Rude and disrespectful? Again, what they've been taught?

Many claim that immigrants are the salt of the Earth that built the country. They are probably right to an extent.
Did that include teaching the immigrant work ethic that many immigrants exhibited, and taught their children?

Being an immigrant's son I did learn these things, and my wife and I instilled these values in our children as well. They'll succeed. I'm positive of it.

Entitled, rude and disrespectful sloths? Not so much.

I feel sorry for the younger generation that they haven't been instilled with those values, and the absolute political and financial mess that we've allowed the political elite to slide the country into. But then again, the condition of the nation that was handed over to this generation wasn't all the great either in those respects.

It is not a way of thinking it is a fact of the modern job market. I am not giving up, I will do it, but I am pointing out the difficulties people like myself face.

I could not join the Armed Forces even I wanted to. Business people do not make good nor willing soldiers. You get paid less, lose your mobility rights, and not to mention you have to join the army.

It is great religion works for you but it doesn't work for others including me.

See again. First off in the United States many business people were soldiers. The former CEO of McDonald’s was a veteran of Vietnam and he came back from the war and became a shift manager and worked his way up. Actually soldiers can make great business people.

And what do you think a “business person” is? To get to managerial position in a business of any size you have to show ability to produce value for the business. In most successful organizations your attitude is way more important then your credentials. My grandfather became a supervisor at a utility provider after going to college in his 40s, he was a regular worker for the twenty years prior. He was only a layer below the executives in the company. My other grandfather was at the same company and supervised all the distribution electrical lines, he never went to college and he was a utility lineman before that. Both were “businessmen” and they spent years working to get there. You don’t just become a “businessman” you have to show the business you can produce in a certain way or start your own business and make it successful

Well in those countries that is what they do except it is enforced by what kind of school you go to and what classes you take. However what happens when someone who belongs on the university path like many finds school unaffordable? Are they just expected to give up? Forcing students to take out massive student loans only means society pays a much greater cost later. But if university was made free or nearly free that would not be a problem, and every kid with a path destined for university can attend and use their skills to benefit society.

That all comes out during the planning and preparation phase in HS. It's still their choice and the kid and their parents should work together to make good, realistic decisions.

But nothing is guaranteed...no one is entitled to high paying jobs.

I don't think the majority of people living in America have experienced a lot of that stuff....

Yes, and that’s the problem.

You don’t just become a “businessman” you have to show the business you can produce in a certain way or start your own business and make it successful

Funny story.
At university my kid sister invented a new type of biofuel and started a company to sell and develop it further.
She was completely inundated by offers from graduates of various business schools wanting to be her new CEO. What they all had in common was that they had absolutely nothing to offer her company. There simply existed a culture where these people believed they should get a piece of cheese for having graduated, and never mind what they actually had to offer. Worse, since there us an established dogma supporting this kind of thinking, many other academic startups actually believe it, and waste money on hiring these people, consequently failing because of the added expenses.

Funny story.
At university my kid sister invented a new type of biofuel and started a company to sell and develop it further.
She was completely inundated by offers from graduates of various business schools wanting to be her new CEO. What they all had in common was that they had absolutely nothing to offer her company. There simply existed a culture where these people believed they should get a piece of cheese for having graduated, and never mind what they actually had to offer. Worse, since there us an established dogma supporting this kind of thinking, many other academic startups actually believe it, and waste money on hiring these people, consequently failing because of the added expenses.

Doesn’t surprise me.

No executive at any company I have worked for, including ones worth over 100 million dollars have had MBAs

One was in part owned by the founder who had no college education

I see catastrophe in the making. Or am I wrong?

You are 100% correct.

Because of voting trends in our country, an economic and social catastrophe is a-coming.

I’ve seen and know a lot people my age and younger that are super hard workers, engaged in their future, they don’t walk around with a sense of entitlement, and just all around are cool people, and I’ve also seen a lot of people my age and younger that are walking cliches and stereotypes of what older generations perceive as the millennial generation.

I thought I’d be doing something else with my college education but instead I teach people of all ages how to ski. The pay kind of sucks but I wake up in the morning pretty stoked most of the time since I get to do stuff outside pretty much all year. I also have a couple of side passions that help pay bills and that I enjoy. My college education is basically a bust but I thankfully wasn’t saddled with massive debt like so many people my age are.

I don’t really have a point here but it does bother me sometimes when people generalize my generation as lazy or unprepared since we really aren’t. Times change and so do the hardships that generations experience, but that’s cool, and kind of how it should be.

Last edited:
I really do.

I had a few over to the house the other day to fish one of the ponds. One of them exclaimed, "You must be rich!" when they looked around my house.

Um no, we aren't, but my generation had better opportunities like better paying jobs and college was much much cheaper! At some point the fact that this younger generation doesn't have the opportunities we baby boomers did, and either can't afford college or are saddled with debt when they graduate is going to hit the fan.

So what happens when the middle class younger generation can't afford a home or even a decent car and has to settle for fast food jobs below minimum wage? And they can't afford to move away from Mom and Dad? I see catastrophe in the making. Or am I wrong?

Yes.

During WWII the state was forced to get lots of tax in. It needed people to work hard as well. That meant that it could not tax work so hard that people would not do it so much, it had a maximum it could take in income tax. So it had to tax property/wealth. It had to tax the rich.

Thus after the war the taxes took a long time to be bent by the rich to be back to taxing the poor and to tax anybody who might try to climb the ladder.

Today the idea of taxing pensions or property has a massive reflex opposition from those who benefited most out of post war economics.

I’ve seen and know a lot people my age and younger that are super hard workers, engaged in their future, they don’t walk around with a sense of entitlement, and just all around are cool people, and I’ve also seen a lot of people my age and younger that are walking cliches and stereotypes of what older generations perceive as the millennial generation.

I thought I’d be doing something else with my college education but instead I teach people of all ages how to ski. The pay kind of sucks but I wake up in the morning pretty stoked most of the time since I get to do stuff outside pretty much all year. I also have a couple of side passions that help pay bills and that I enjoy. My college education is basically a bust but I thankfully wasn’t saddled with massive debt like so many people my age are.

I don’t really have a point here but it does bother me sometimes when people generalize my generation as lazy or unprepared since we really aren’t. Times change and so do the hardships that generations experience, but that’s cool, and kind of how it should be.

It has to be said that the young people I meet are generally the nicest generation I have ever encountered. Just like you.

It has to be said that the young people I meet are generally the nicest generation I have ever encountered. Just like you.

There are definitely times when I get embarrassed by my generation over some of the stuff they focus on and turn into a big deal but because those are the ones that get the media attention it gives the false impression that they are the norm. Of course I’m 25 and not a teenager or college student anymore and so I can’t totally speak for all of the “young” generations but I’m close enough.

Last edited:
There are definitely times when I get embarrassed by my generation over some of the stuff they focus on and turn into a big deal but because those are the ones that get the media attention it gives the false impression that they are the norm. Of course I’m 25 and not a teenager or college student anymore and so I can’t totally speak for all of the “young” generations but I’m close enough.

If the biggest problem with a generation is a tendancy to over worry about giving offense then that's not bad.

Back
Top Bottom