• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I feel sorry for the younger generation

The problem counselors are usually very detached form reality, after all they do not work outside in the real world. I had to explain to one of mine that commuting 3 hours to work for near minimum wage is not a viable option. Then parents are often not much more knowledgeable, unless they work in the same industry their child wants to work in.

My parents really only know about jobs in retail, construction, a few trades in my local area, things I had no interest in.

I studied something in high demand as well and am currently looking for a job but I keep getting passed over because I do not have enough experience for an entry level job apparently. The biggest problem is that companies are no longer interested in training employees, they expect you to have multiple years of skill in everything they need right out of the gate.
Looking for work is rough. Nothing worse for negotiations than feeling like you hold no cards. The Technology sector is extra difficult as there are so many specialties and hiring firms often have no clue what the tech people actually do.

I am partnered up in a firm out of Calgary making custom analytic software in this space and that hires people across the country. I’ve seen the type of response to a job posting of this type. Its competitive even if in demand, quality being the main issue.

I guarantee your handholding approach though is going to get you underemployed. Stop betting the resume - job board is anything more than a gamble. Know how to learn any new thing and just express your confident you can complete their demands in timelines provided. Speak to them about what you think they need not what you have done. You don’t need to qualify yourself. You need to assure them you are a sure bet to get the job done. People like to ask about old work sure but its not what picks the hire - if you shrug it off so will they.

My three suggestions: get networking app on your phone linked to a website of your portfolio, business cards for in person, spruce up your linkedin and spend it around to HR managers and headhunting/employment companies, search and approach any tech startups/small business in your area. Look for temp work adgencies to get more in and stay busy.

Stop focusing on resume(you) and research smaller firms to approach with simple emails (if bigger letters given to sectary with decision makers names on front) - outline what you want to do for them. Keep it short, realistic, to the point and vague on details. Their business needs are likely on their websites - they likely are not posting all employ opportunities unless required by policy.

Your most likely to get work with a startup with such an approach, insist on getting paid right when they do in this case. (Startups are a different type of gig). In this space you can get the experience you need. Get lots of roles and generally living wages although taxes get annoying as generally your a subcontractor and it’s certainly more chaotic. From here though you can get work well already employed. That is what employers prefer and may be your end game.

The corporate culture you refer is because established-brands can hire those they know or are lower risk. Understanding your unknown high risk - you can lower those critical factors quickly. Be in the space and you’ll befriend the right people. Keep assuming your are seen as a proven harding asset worthy of investment and I always guarantee you’ll be underemployed and underpaid the rest of your career regardless of field.

I know you’re not seriously trying because of your attitude.

No I was not instantly hired the first place I applied. In fact I moved 1000 miles from where I lived for the first job I had and then came back several months later when a position nearer came up. Adversity is sometimes part of growing up.

Your challenges read like excuses. You won’t take work you consider beneath you, you want take work you think pays to little even on a temporary basis, you wont do anything “with no guarantee of success” I remember years ago you were arguing the Government had to restrict home prices in Toronto so you could get a cheap house, so obviously commuting or moving to a community you perceive as undesirable isn’t an option. I don’t know what else there is here, you also called me a delusional libertarian wage slave (this term is an oxymoron btw, because by definition slaves don’t receive wages) so what I see here is a fundamental lack of humility and willingness to sacrifice. And this is what older people mean when they stereotype millenials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am applying to every job I think I can do in my field, contacting people I know, and going to career events, mostly in Montreal. I cannot help the fact that my network is in Montreal and I am most familiar with companies in the city I live in. I have no connections elsewhere, so I am limited to what little I can find online for those places. How is that not trying?

You may not know this but I have to bills and rent to pay, I cannot work a job that pays less. Like I said before religion works for you, it does not for other people, I am not a religious individual.

Last edited:
You refuse to acknowledge that there there are external contributing problems in how companies hire new grads. It is not just me experiencing this, it is almost all new grads, regardless of specialization.

I'm familiar with your industry and still disagree with you.

I am applying to every job I think I can do in my field, contacting people I know, and going to career events, mostly in Montreal. I cannot help the fact that my network is in Montreal and I am most familiar with companies in the city I live in. I have no connections elsewhere, so I am limited to what little I can find online for those places. How is that not trying?

You may not know this but I have to bills and rent to pay, I cannot work a job that pays less. Like I said before religion works for you, it does not for other people, I am not a religious individual.

Well I am puzzled as to how you will pay bills and rent with no job at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the millennial generation doing in Canada OlNate?

Pretty much the same. :shrug: I guess we're just a bit better about acknowledging the reality of it, and there are fewer people suggesting a populist "solution". Not to mention that we have been tied to your economy for a long time now, so we're a little at the mercy of whatever you have going on down there. Your president isn't doing anything that is going to help millennials. He's not thinking that far out. There's nothing about his economic policy that suggests sustainability or long term strategy.

Back
Top Bottom