• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hypocrites!

Anyone else think it's just a bit hypocritical of these liberals that are for animal rights, ("Oh, oh, you can't hurt the defenseless little animals") to be for abortion of Human Babies?!?!
This has been stuck in my mind since I heard someone bad-mouthing Bill O'Reilly (who's ok in my book, don't love him, don't hate him), for being OK with the Pit Bull ban in several states. I said "Bill O'Reilly's ok, I don't agree with him on this issue, but I do on many others."
They replied with "any man who thinks it's OK to take away my "right" to choose (referring to abortion) will never be on my good list....Yet, she was there to voice her opinion against the "murder" of puppies.....So it's OK to kill unborn Human Babies, but not unborn puppies? I cannot follow this logic, someone please enlighten me!

No. THere is no hypocrisy. A fetus doesn't have moral personhood. A dog has a far greater level of awareness than an early fetus.

Befuddled_Stoner said:
I think you pro-lifers are better off focusing your energies on making adoption more common and on ameliorating the lives of single-mothers, to make the alternative to abortion more desirable.

The same intelligence challenged people that will go over dead bodies themselves to give a lump of cells it's right to muliply are the same that scream murder when a single woman decides she does not want to out her baby in 14 hours of day-care to flip burgers because she's sucking their tax money!

What do they do to help those women?Nothing. Thet are to breed and then see how they get along.But at least the lump of cells got it's right...

Fantasea said:
Many would argue that saving a million and a half children in the womb from dying in abortoriums has far greater value than the lives of 9,000 foolish girls.

Talking about yourself? Weighing lifes here?

Technocratic_Utilitarian said:
No. THere is no hypocrisy. A fetus doesn't have moral personhood. A dog has a far greater level of awareness than an early fetus.
What is moral personhood? What entity confers moral personhood? Who empowers this entity to confer moral personhood?

More Personhood = access to the concept of Rights. When people finally attain the valuable characteristics of mankind, then you FINALLY deserve access to these abstract constructs. Your primary fallacy is that you are treating Rights as concrete entities, not abstract concepts. You cannot be born with Rights, because rights themselves, as much as you might disagree, do not exist. There is no evidence of rights, there never will be, and you cannot;

A. Verify them
B. Test them
C. Falsify them

They are made the hell up and are largely a product of Enlightenment Philosophy. Since they are abstracts, they need to be applied by a rational standards. DNA or Species membership is invalid for 2 reasons:

1. A Human with DNA, but w/out a mind is not worthy of being called human. That human is a meatsack. Meatsacks are not valuable. Autonomous, Sapient beings are. A fetus cannot mentally suffer, because it has no mind; it cannot think it cannot want a future.

2. Because that leaves out many other animals who have intelligence anda wareness equal to or roughly on par with humans. If you don't do this, you are simply Speciesist. Humans are onlly valuable for their characteristics, but this criterion can also apply to non-human creatures. Yours cannot. It's not universalizable and it's compartmentalized ethics.

For example. A severely retarded human baby who will never progress past a level 1 mentality is not more morally valuable than an adult Bonobo Chimpanzee, because that Chimpanzee has the permanant mental capacity of a 3+ year old. (2 in language skills). Your criterion for "personhood" is unjust and not universalizable. You simply choose Humans for personhood becaue they are a member of your Species. This takes zero thought.

Where do people get rights from? Where do people experience justice? Justice is an abstract principle JUST like Rights. Justice no more "exists" than "rights" exist. THey are abstracts. Guess who dispenses justice? Human society.

ILikeDubyah said:
Anyone else think it's just a bit hypocritical of these liberals that are for animal rights, ("Oh, oh, you can't hurt the defenseless little animals") to be for abortion of Human Babies?!?!
This has been stuck in my mind since I heard someone bad-mouthing Bill O'Reilly (who's ok in my book, don't love him, don't hate him), for being OK with the Pit Bull ban in several states. I said "Bill O'Reilly's ok, I don't agree with him on this issue, but I do on many others."
They replied with "any man who thinks it's OK to take away my "right" to choose (referring to abortion) will never be on my good list....Yet, she was there to voice her opinion against the "murder" of puppies.....So it's OK to kill unborn Human Babies, but not unborn puppies? I cannot follow this logic, someone please enlighten me!
puppies are cuter than babies because they have fur, and dont start big wars or make nuclear bombs when they grow up; therefore puppies are much more virtuous than people

More Personhood = access to the concept of Rights. When people finally attain the valuable characteristics of mankind, then you FINALLY deserve access to these abstract constructs. Your primary fallacy is that you are treating Rights as concrete entities, not abstract concepts. You cannot be born with Rights, because rights themselves, as much as you might disagree, do not exist. There is no evidence of rights, there never will be, and you cannot;

A. Verify them
B. Test them
C. Falsify them

They are made the hell up and are largely a product of Enlightenment Philosophy. Since they are abstracts, they need to be applied by a rational standards. DNA or Species membership is invalid for 2 reasons:

1. A Human with DNA, but w/out a mind is not worthy of being called human. That human is a meatsack. Meatsacks are not valuable. Autonomous, Sapient beings are. A fetus cannot mentally suffer, because it has no mind; it cannot think it cannot want a future.

2. Because that leaves out many other animals who have intelligence anda wareness equal to or roughly on par with humans. If you don't do this, you are simply Speciesist. Humans are onlly valuable for their characteristics, but this criterion can also apply to non-human creatures. Yours cannot. It's not universalizable and it's compartmentalized ethics.

For example. A severely retarded human baby who will never progress past a level 1 mentality is not more morally valuable than an adult Bonobo Chimpanzee, because that Chimpanzee has the permanant mental capacity of a 3+ year old. (2 in language skills). Your criterion for "personhood" is unjust and not universalizable. You simply choose Humans for personhood becaue they are a member of your Species. This takes zero thought.

Where do people get rights from? Where do people experience justice? Justice is an abstract principle JUST like Rights. Justice no more "exists" than "rights" exist. THey are abstracts. Guess who dispenses justice? Human society.
Pardon my obvious density, but your attempts at rationalization remind me of an old Abbott and Costello routine.

Abbot: Lou, I 'll bet you ten dollars that I can prove I'm not here.

Costello: Bud, I know you can't do that. (He takes out a ten dollar bill.)

Abbott: Here goes. Am I in Philadelphia?

Costello: No.

Abbott: Am I in Detroit?

Abbott: Am I in Chicago?

Abbott: So, if you agree that I'm not in Philadelphia, and I'm not in Detroit, and I'm not in Chicago, then you agree that I must be someplace else.

Costello: Right.

Abbott: Well, if you agree that I must be someplace else, then I've proven to you that I can't be here. (He grabs the ten dollar bill and pockets it.)

And by not actually logically addressing the concept, you evaded it and presented a concession. I am done with you; you are unreasonable and not here to debate. You don't have the intellectual faculties to discuss this concept with me, since you cannot even comprehend what a simple abstract concept is.

And by not actually logically addressing the concept, you evaded it and presented a concession. I am done with you; you are unreasonable and not here to debate. You don't have the intellectual faculties to discuss this concept with me, since you cannot even comprehend what a simple abstract concept is.
My concern is not with the abstract. My concern is with the actual; the living, developing human child, peacefully growing in the womb of its mother, yet at risk of a violent death because abortion advocates seek to mask the truth with denials, falsehoods, euphemisms, and arguments designed to appeal solely to the emotion.

Are you able to cite a competent scientific, medical, obstetric, or genetic authority who is able to factually justify the nearly fifty million abortions which have occurred in the US since Roe v. Wade?

If you are, display it for all to see. If you are not, then enjoy your wallow in your empty, abstract, conceptual bliss.

My concern is not with the abstract. My concern is with the actual; the living, developing human child, peacefully growing in the womb of its mother, yet at risk of a violent death because abortion advocates seek to mask the truth with denials, falsehoods, euphemisms, and arguments designed to appeal solely to the emotion.

I will sum up my analysis in one sentence, and then explain.

1. If you are saying you are not concerned with the abstracts, merely the scientific factual, then you ought have no qualms about abortion, murder, rape, incest, or any other concept you dislike, because any and all discussions of wrong, right, good, and bad involve oughts, and oughts are normative, and normatives are abstracts.

Explication:

Since all normatives are and are based on abstract conceptions, and you don't care about them, as you have dircectly stated above, you have no businesses telling me that abortion is wrong. You say you are going for "facts" and "biology," not abstracts--this is all fine and dandy, but it's morally irrelevant. You cannot go from a fact to a normative conclusion. Every normative conclusion must be backed up with at least 1 or 2 normative premises. You cannot go from the Scientific and Factual to the Ethical. To do so is a logical fallacy. I am not making this up, it's not an abortionist argument, it's not anything but pure, unadulturated logic.

Are you able to cite a competent scientific, medical, obstetric, or genetic authority who is able to factually justify the nearly fifty million abortions which have occurred in the US since Roe v. Wade?

If you are, display it for all to see. If you are not, then enjoy your wallow in your empty, abstract, conceptual bliss.

Naturalistic Fallacy = Is/Ought Fallacy. Regardless of how many scientific studies you come up with, they can never justify anything on ethical grounds. You can USE science for the facts that you plug into ethical arguments, but they cannot replace ethical theory, principles, or doctrine. I don't have to cite any scientific, medial, or genetic authority who can justify abortion, because justification ethically is not a matter of fact. As I mentioned above, but I know you won't comprehend, it is a logically fallacy to move from the fact to the normative.

If you want to talk ethics, talk ethics. If you want to talk fact, talk fact. You cannot talk fact and mean ethics. If you don't comprehend that, there's no helping you.

Quote: Originally posted by Fantasea
I will sum up my analysis in one sentence, and then explain.

1. If you are saying you are not concerned with the abstracts, merely the scientific factual, then you ought have no qualms about abortion, murder, rape, incest, or any other concept you dislike, because any and all discussions of wrong, right, good, and bad involve oughts, and oughts are normative, and normatives are abstracts.
A normative equates to a standard which applies to any definite rule, principle, or measure established by authority such as standards of behavior. The authority is mortal and the standards established are, therefore, man-made and are arrived at on the basis of consensus or fiat. In the context of the abortion question, over a period of thirty-two years, the established political standards have swung one hundred eighty degrees, from absolute prohibition to absolute absence of restriction. Who knows, with the changes occurring on the Supreme Court, they may swing back. The point is, there is no constancy, no permanence in norms.

On the other hand, the biological fact involved is constant, is permanent, is not subject to change.

However, as I wrote above, “…abortion advocates seek to mask the truth with denials, falsehoods, euphemisms, and arguments designed to appeal solely to the emotion”, in an effort to alter the perception of the biological process that takes place in the womb.
Explication:

Since all normatives are and are based on abstract conceptions, and you don't care about them, as you have dircectly stated above, you have no businesses telling me that abortion is wrong. You say you are going for "facts" and "biology," not abstracts--this is all fine and dandy, but it's morally irrelevant. You cannot go from a fact to a normative conclusion. Every normative conclusion must be backed up with at least 1 or 2 normative premises. You cannot go from the Scientific and Factual to the Ethical. To do so is a logical fallacy. I am not making this up, it's not an abortionist argument, it's not anything but pure, unadulturated logic.
With respect to logic, one may reason, one may rationalize, one may arrive at conclusions on the basis of analytical thought. This is the abstract. One may not treat facts in the same manner because they are not abstract. Facts are actual.

Naturalistic Fallacy = Is/Ought Fallacy. Regardless of how many scientific studies you come up with, they can never justify anything on ethical grounds. You can USE science for the facts that you plug into ethical arguments, but they cannot replace ethical theory, principles, or doctrine. I don't have to cite any scientific, medial, or genetic authority who can justify abortion, because justification ethically is not a matter of fact. As I mentioned above, but I know you won't comprehend, it is a logically fallacy to move from the fact to the normative.
I may be mistaken, but what I understand you to be saying is along the lines of, “Facts be damned. Just decide on the desired course of action and declare that the facts support it.”
If you want to talk ethics, talk ethics. If you want to talk fact, talk fact. You cannot talk fact and mean ethics. If you don't comprehend that, there's no helping you.
With respect, you have not swayed me. There are facts, which are actual, and there are norms, which are abstract.

I repeat:

“My concern is not with the abstract. My concern is with the actual; the living, developing human child, peacefully growing in the womb of its mother, yet at risk of a violent death because abortion advocates seek to mask the truth with denials, falsehoods, euphemisms, and arguments designed to appeal solely to the emotion.”

I may be mistaken, but what I understand you to be saying is along the lines of, “Facts be damned. Just decide on the desired course of action and declare that the facts support it.”

No. That is not what I am saying. I am saying that you are making an ethical judgement, and in ethical judgements, you cannot go from fact--------> normative conclusion. This is the heart of the Is/Ought---Naturalistic Fallacy. An is does not imply an ought. YOu can list all the facts you want, and it will never MAKE a moral conclusion. You can only use facts WITHIN an Ethical construct.

So I guess you totally disagree with the Naturalistic Fallacy?

With respect to logic, one may reason, one may rationalize, one may arrive at conclusions on the basis of analytical thought. This is the abstract. One may not treat facts in the same manner because they are not abstract. Facts are actual.

My position is regarding the facts as part of an ethical system. THe facts are part of the premises that lead to normative conclusions, but they are not the normative premises or the conclusion themselves. In ethics, if they were, you would be making an invalid argument. I cannot say, for example:

1. babie are human, therefore, I ought not kill them. There must be at least one normative premise for any normative argument, and all ethics is normative, unless you are dealing with Metaethics.

I repeat:

“My concern is not with the abstract. My concern is with the actual; the living, developing human child, peacefully growing in the womb of its mother, yet at risk of a violent death because abortion advocates seek to mask the truth with denials, falsehoods, euphemisms, and arguments designed to appeal solely to the emotion.”

And...this means what? That you don't care about the rules of logic as they apply to ethics?

And...this means what? That you don't care about the rules of logic as they apply to ethics?
As I wrote earlier, I am plainspoken, simple folk. You may characterize my responses any way you wish.

When I read your critiques of me, I am reminded of one of the dictionary definitions of the word, "semantics", which is, "the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings."

It may be a bit off target, but it comes close.

As I wrote earlier, I am plainspoken, simple folk. You may characterize my responses any way you wish.

When I read your critiques of me, I am reminded of one of the dictionary definitions of the word, "semantics", which is, "the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings."

It may be a bit off target, but it comes close.

Maybe the problem we are having here is lack of fundamental communication.
In that light, I will try to see what it is we both understand.

I am no logician, but I just want to know where you stand on logic. Do you even know what it is? Do you understand what Normative Ethics is?
Do you understand what a logical Fallacy is?

From my perspective, you just ignore logical fallacies as if they mean nothing.

Maybe the problem we are having here is lack of fundamental communication.
In that light, I will try to see what it is we both understand.

I am no logician, but I just want to know where you stand on logic. Do you even know what it is? Do you understand what Normative Ethics is?
Do you understand what a logical Fallacy is?

From my perspective, you just ignore logical fallacies as if they mean nothing.
You have not succeeding in convincing me to give up on the differences between abstract and actual.

I doubt that you ever will.

Again, you didn't answer the questions. You're good at evasion, but not answering. Answer the god-damned questions for a change.

Fantasea said:
Many would argue that saving a million and a half children in the womb from dying in abortoriums has far greater value than the lives of 9,000 foolish girls.

Haha! I wouldn't say 'many'. I'd say a few religious zealots living in theocratic 'fantasea'.

Fantasea said:
Pardon my obvious density, but your attempts at rationalization remind me of an old Abbott and Costello routine.

Abbot: Lou, I 'll bet you ten dollars that I can prove I'm not here.

Costello: Bud, I know you can't do that. (He takes out a ten dollar bill.)

Abbott: Here goes. Am I in Philadelphia?

Abbott: Am I in Detroit?

Abbott: Am I in Chicago?

Abbott: So, if you agree that I'm not in Philadelphia, and I'm not in Detroit, and I'm not in Chicago, then you agree that I must be someplace else.

Costello: Right.

Abbott: Well, if you agree that I must be someplace else, then I've proven to you that I can't be here. (He grabs the ten dollar bill and pockets it.)

You ARE very poor at debate. Like nonsensical biblical quotes you pull out Abbott & Costello?? I have to say there were some very valid points there, that you obviously felt threatened by so you refused to acknowledge or discuss them. The religious think that human babies are worth more than any other kind of animal -- it's simple egomania.

Ima Troll said:
puppies are cuter than babies because they have fur, and dont start big wars or make nuclear bombs when they grow up; therefore puppies are much more virtuous than people

"The Sufi's say that dogs have 10 of the most excellent qualities. If man even gained one of these, he would be considered a saint." -- David Valdez

DNA or Species membership is invalid for 2 reasons:

Your reason #1 is invalid because it is arbitrary. You offer no rational reason as to why your criteria matter--specifically, your criteria for value being autonomy, cognizance, and the ability to suffer or desire.

Your reason #2 is invalid because it rests upon the accuracy of your reason #1.

sissy-boy said:

"The Sufi's say that dogs have 10 of the most excellent qualities. If man even gained one of these, he would be considered a saint." -- David Valdez
there are a few men who act like dogs however

Your reason #1 is invalid because it is arbitrary. You offer no rational reason as to why your criteria matter--specifically, your criteria for value being autonomy, cognizance, and the ability to suffer or desire.

1. It's not invalid, and it's not arbitrary. The mind is what makes mankind valuable. W/out it, he is nothing. This is why when you go braindead, you are worthless.

2. It's not invalid, and it's not arbitrary, because it takes a moron to think that you can give rights to something that does not yet exist as a mind.

rational Autonomy, sapience, and suffering are important ethical constructs, because that's what makes humans humans. Most animals don't have the first two. I picked the criteria that separate humans from most other animals. WHen humans don't have those criteria, they are therefore worth no more than other animals.

You think it's perfectly valid to treat a human as more valuable than another animal who is more self-aware as well as more intelligent? Do you? If you do, your immoral. If you don't, then you don't value anything that's valuable in humans.

Felicity said:

I didn't see anything at all arbitrary about it! The point was that a person needs a MIND (and the emotions, nerves and everything else that comes with it) to be considered anything OTHER than a sack of meat. The argument is indeed to the point. There's nothing invalid about it. It matters because those are the traits that MAKE us human. If you can't think feel or have any emotional response whatsoever, how is that human??

Ima Troll said:
there are a few men who act like dogs however

'Dubya' comes to mind. He hunts for profit like a dog in heat. He's also a pathological liar and even a DOG has more honor than him.

1. It's not invalid, and it's not arbitrary. The mind is what makes mankind valuable. W/out it, he is nothing. This is why when you go braindead, you are worthless.

2. It's not invalid, and it's not arbitrary, because it takes a moron to think that you can give rights to something that does not yet exist as a mind.

rational Autonomy, sapience, and suffering are important ethical constructs, because that's what makes humans humans. Most animals don't have the first two. I picked the criteria that separate humans from most other animals. WHen humans don't have those criteria, they are therefore worth no more than other animals.

You think it's perfectly valid to treat a human as more valuable than another animal who is more self-aware as well as more intelligent? Do you? If you do, your immoral. If you don't, then you don't value anything that's valuable in humans.

I believe that some of what you say that is what seperates man from animal...but it is not the "ability of the individual" that makes it valuable--it is the ability of the species--the inherent essence of the species that makes that distinction, not the individual of the species' present ability.

Back
Top Bottom