• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Huge Republican mistake

Hogwash...they are the party of the Republican Party. All they care about is partisan power. They TARGET the rich and upper middle income...because they have to...because the party of the Democrat party (with the same motivation) intentionally targets all the disenfranschised and crippled and dependent pets.

i am not crippled, dependent or a pet.

so tell us what lack of merit they have inherited

If they stay poor, the lack of merit of making something of themselves. I was born poor, not quite poverty level, but damn near close. The first pair of pants I ever wore my mother had made out of a couple of old cloth flour sacks. I went to school and studied. I graduated HS and went to college, worked my way through doing construction. Arranged my class schedule so that I could work 5 days a week including SAT & SUN. So I know that it is possible to pull yourself up out of poverty if you have the motivation. I did it, and I didn't have the help of minority scholarships or govt grants.

I have no sympathy for those who choose to follow their parent's footsteps and remain in poverty.

I wasn't priveledged
I wasn't "lucky"
I just worked my ass off and made something of myself and it pisses me off to no end that "some people" think that I should now turn around and support those who refuse to do what i did.

i am not crippled, dependent or a pet.

Does not change the undeniable fact that that IS who democrats pander to like it or not. I am not by many peoples standards 'rich' but the conservati e message is no less aimed at me. Democrats pander to the dependent class for votes.

Last edited:
Does not change the undeniable fact that that IS who democrats pander to like it or not. I am not by many peoples standards 'rich' but the conservati e message is no less aimed at me. Democrats pander to the dependent class for votes.

It has always been thus. Think of it as a numbers game. There are way more poor people in this country than rich people most of the elections have historically been pretty close 53% -47%, etc. Given that "rich people" vote republican" and "poor people" vote democrat, the middle class must vote more republican or the dmes would win every election by a landslide.

your math sucks-a 3% rate increase is more like a 10% increase in tax payments and if someone is mostly living on investments the tax will triple

Who lives mostly on investments?

evil, rich, greedy bastards who got their wealth by default instead of merit. :lol:
That isn't much of an answer....
I am a retiree, and most of my retiree friends are living on pensions, social security, and savings, with the latter invested in IRA and/or 401K accounts. Withdrawals from those accounts are taxed at the same rate as their other income.
Only those who live strictly on non tax deferred investment incomes get the preferred rate of 15%.

That isn't much of an answer....
I am a retiree, and most of my retiree friends are living on pensions, social security, and savings, with the latter invested in IRA and/or 401K accounts. Withdrawals from those accounts are taxed at the same rate as their other income.
Only those who live strictly on non tax deferred investment incomes get the preferred rate of 15%.

tis a perfectly good answer. who else is living mainly off investments other than those people who inherited their wealth and continue to live off the income the investment of that inherited wealth provide?

conversely, most of the poorest people in America are poor not by default but by lack of merit.

True, but that's because they spend all their time and effort eking out a living for their families. Don't have the spare time to exert all the extra effort it takes to improve their lot, and even if they could squeeze in the time, most don't have what it takes. The lack or morals and decency he needs to rob and cheat their fellow man.

ricksfolly

The only way for the poor to make a million is to screw a million gullible people out of a dollar...

True, but that's because they spend all their time and effort eking out a living for their families. Don't have the spare time to exert all the extra effort it takes to improve their lot, and even if they could squeeze in the time, most don't have what it takes. The lack or morals and decency he needs to rob and cheat their fellow man.

funny. I managed to find the spare time to go to college and improve my lot. Oh, I forgot to mention that while I was in college I was supporting a wife and two kids as well. And I managed to do it without robbing or cheating anyone.

but you did hit a key point "EXERT THE EXTRA EFFORT" most of them are unwilling to make the extra effort because it is hard and it does take time.

tis a perfectly good answer. who else is living mainly off investments other than those people who inherited their wealth and continue to live off the income the investment of that inherited wealth provide?
I have no problem with those who inherit, many a time I wished that my parents had money, to send me to college if nothing else. But I got it done after 12 years in the Navy, and managed to do well in spite of humble beginnings...
It is the financiers and wall street types that manipulate the market and otherwise do unethical things to enrich themselves at the expense of the middle class that gripes my guts...

funny. I managed to find the spare time to go to college and improve my lot. Oh, I forgot to mention that while I was in college I was supporting a wife and two kids as well. And I managed to do it without robbing or cheating anyone.

but you did hit a key point "EXERT THE EXTRA EFFORT" most of them are unwilling to make the extra effort because it is hard and it does take time.
Extra effort? Twice I had people tell me how lucky I am, without knowing that I started with nothing. Both times I toldl them thay my employer was hiring, but they knew what that meant....riding a bus to work, about 120 miles per day for commute distance. Both said that they didn't want to lose that many hours even if it meant doubling their pay.
I guess they don't really understand the true source of "luck"....

ricksfolly

The only way for the poor to make a million is to screw a million gullible people out of a dollar...
I think that is how it is done on Wall Street....you go to jail if you use a gun to steal, or defraud people out of large amounts of money in an instant.
But steal a dollar or 2 each from millions of clients every month, and you get rich without drawing attention to yourself....

As for extra effort, if there was a basketball game on TV, they couldn't be bothered to go to night classes....

Last edited:

I did as well...while active duty, holding down a second job and providing for my family of 6. Funny...I guess I missed the silver spoons they were handing out...

evil, rich, greedy bastards who got their wealth by default instead of merit. :lol:

older people who no longer have a salary but a 401K or those who worked hard and invested wisely

I have no problem with those who inherit, many a time I wished that my parents had money, to send me to college if nothing else. But I got it done after 12 years in the Navy, and managed to do well in spite of humble beginnings...
It is the financiers and wall street types that manipulate the market and otherwise do unethical things to enrich themselves at the expense of the middle class that gripes my guts...

are you one of those populists who think everyone who makes between 400K and a million a year (the vast vast majority of the top 1 percent of tax payers do all these evil things you think happen

ricksfolly

so you think those who have done well cheat other people?
how did LeBron James make a million dollars? what about Jimmy Page, or Willie Nelson?

Who lives mostly on investments?

just about every retired person I know same with every widow I know who was a home maker

Tsk, tsk. If only conservatives would practice what they preach, the world would be a better place. Please, follow the teachings of Jesus and let me slap your other cheek.

Most of the richest people in America are rich not by merit but by default. Poor people protesting taxes for the rich is laughable and ironic. No, the rich will not like you more for protesting for them. Nor will they be more inclined to hire you to scrub their feet.

this is up there for stupidity. Rich by default Your posts ooze envy

The top 10% of the population controls about 90% of the wealth in the US, yet they only pay about 40-60% of taxes. Do the math.

you do understand we are talking about income tax and the top 1% make 22% of the income and pays 40% of the income tax

grossly unfair

LOL... more republicanazi rhetoric.

The republicans have long been the stooges of business owners and other weathly assholes. You can deny it but it makes you look guilty.

more pyschobabble. you your hatred of those who have done well is pathetic. does your employer know how you feel about him (you do have a job don't you)

I think the issue isnt tax cuts its the system . Arguing over tax cuts is like saying. Dash gom it you republicans better dangle that carrot in front of us or were gonna be mad. Actually if you wanted wealth and you were worried about taxes you would WANT a flat tax. Not cuts that can be taken away in the middle of the night.Elsewise your just doin the same thing over and expectin the rest of us to bite your poison apple.

I think the issue isnt tax cuts its the system . Arguing over tax cuts is like saying. Dash gom it you republicans better dangle that carrot in front of us or were gonna be mad. Actually if you wanted wealth and you were worried about taxes you would WANT a flat tax. Not cuts that can be taken away in the middle of the night.Elsewise your just doin the same thing over and expectin the rest of us to bite your poison apple.

THere should be no taxes on income since that punishes thrift

in the alternative a flat tax prevents congress from grabbing power by appealing to the many with promises to raise the taxes of only the top bracket

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Sole proprietorship -- your business income is your personal income.
Partnership -- the business income is split among partners and then it's their personal income
S-Corp -- the business income is mostly your personal income, and you get the legal protections of a corporation...

A professional consultant that makes $250K/year HAS NO STAFF!! HE WORKS OUT OF HIS HOME. HOW CLUELESS CAN YOU BE?? HE'S NEVER GOING TO HIRE ANYONE.

Small businesses that make this type of money do so because they have low overhead and don't employ that many people. Get it?

98% of small businesses will be getting a tax cut....

Do you know what the average income for that other 2% is??? Can you guess?

8.2 Million.... That means half of that 2% earns more than 8.2 million.

This is not you. You are being fooled into believing that this is bad for you. You are being played for a fool by wealthy people controlling/funding the Tea Party and GOP.

so why are dems leaving Obama and joining GOP

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts « - Blogs from CNN.com

are you one of those populists who think everyone who makes between 400K and a million a year (the vast vast majority of the top 1 percent of tax payers do all these evil things you think happen
I THINK happen?
Enron, savings and loan scandal, dot.com bubble, real estate market meltdown, all precipitated by greed.
Do you ever watch the news? If you are a politician, preacher, pundit, or professional financier and you manipulate people, or stocks, or markets, or laws, to make yourself a multi millionaire, you are probably in need of a prison term.
Betrayal of public trust should net prison time of at least 5 years.
BTW, when did I use the word evil?

Back
Top Bottom