• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

However, I would love to be able to regulate the content of speech. The First Amendment prevents me.

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
"It's a very good point you make," Lieu said. "I would love if I could have more than five minutes to question witnesses. Unfortunately, I don't get that opportunity. However, I would love to be able to regulate the content of speech. The First Amendment prevents me from doing so, and that's simply a function of the First Amendment, but I think over the long run, it's better the government does not regulate the content of speech."
https://freebeacon.com/politics/lie...t-of-speech-but-the-first-amendment-stops-me/

If it's better in the long run... why even say something so stupid?

https://freebeacon.com/politics/lie...t-of-speech-but-the-first-amendment-stops-me/

If it's better in the long run... why even say something so stupid?

He was just pointing out that although he might personally like, as a member of the GOVERNMENT, to get rid of fake news and even regulate Google and other sites for malicious content, the 1A is pretty clear that's not government's role, and in fact government cannot regulate speech by Google or other sites. It's a big deal, and why the whining about Twitter's banning rules or what Google presents with its algorithms is a matter for the firms, and shouldn't be a government concern. If the GOP don't like the Google algorithms, because Googling Steve King brings ups up articles about him being a racist moron, OK, don't use Google, use DuckDuckGo or whatever.

The separate question is whether we've allowed Google and Twitter and Facebook and others to get too big, so that they operate as monopolies, and that is something government can address. What Congress shouldn't do is write laws requiring Twitter, for example, to ban who Congress allows them to ban, and prohibit them banning others.

Oh ****, I forgot that time had elapsed, you earned it.. damn it.

Well up to you, free to change it when ever you wish to

If this person opposes regulating speech, what exactly are you complaining about? The failure of him or her to reach an absolute opinion without bothering with the step that involves thinking?

No reason, I just wanted to mindlessly bitch. I mean, an elected Rep saying "Hey I'd really love to control your speech, but that darn Constitution stops me..." isn't anything to bring up on a Debate forum about politics.

No reason, I just wanted to mindlessly bitch. I mean, an elected Rep saying "Hey I'd really love to control your speech, but that darn Constitution stops me..." isn't anything to bring up on a Debate forum about politics.

same.jpg

Gotcha

Back
Top Bottom