• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How would you Americans vote in November ?

?

• Joe Biden / Kamala Harris (D)

• Donald Trump / Kristi Noem (R)

• Robert F. Kennedy Jr. / Tulsi Gabbard (I)

• Chase Oliver (Libertarian Party)

• Jill Stein (Green Party)

• Cornel West (Independent)

• Other independent or other parties

• Write-ins

• Invalid / spoil my ballot

• Wouldn't vote / stay home

Results are only viewable after voting.
It is very likely that Trump will pick Kristi Noem, the South Dakota Governor, as his Vice President:

F5iKwlOXsAABJ0A

Doesn't really matter, nothing much is going to change for the better regardless of who or which party controls the government.

Ask that to the families of hundreds of thousands of dead Covid victims from 2020.

Now that you guys sadly picked Biden and Trump again, what are you doing ?

I (like many others) didn't pick either one. That said, and assuming they'll be the nominees as they very likely will, I won't vote for anybody. Oh, I'll check the box for Biden but it will be a vote against Trump.

Biden.

Trump is just as unfit for office today as he's ever been. We may have had worse presidents in the past, but Trump has got to be the worst *person* to ever hold the office.

The bobble head I'll pick is the one willing to stay that way. Trump is trying to become king of America, who can do whatever he wants. No thanks.

They can and do make a difference in peoples lives, just ask the tons of women who've suffered after Roe was gone. Maybe not yours, but that's just you. A lot of shit changed for me when Trump was president, namely the fact that our air and water got dirtier, and my rights decreased.

I can't vote for Biden.

On the whole I don't think he's been a terrible President. I've agreed, to a point, with more than half of his foreign policy at least.

But on some domestic issues he and I are geometrically opposed, particularly his support for the new, unreasonably-broad Democrat "assault weapons ban". Highly unconstitutional, imo, and not something I can support.

I can't see myself voting for Trump either. Really, I doubt there's enough booze and Pepto in my county for me to vote for either.

I am giving serious thought to voting Libertarian this time. It doesn't really matter what I do though... my state will invariably go to whoever the R candidate is, so whether I even bother to vote is largely irrelevant. I can register my vain "protest" at being forced to do Trump v Biden Part 2, anyway, for what little good it will do.

At least, whoever wins, I could say "Not my circus, not my monkeys, not my fault."

Is what it is.

They can and do make a difference in peoples lives, just ask the tons of women who've suffered after Roe was gone. Maybe not yours, but that's just you. A lot of shit changed for me when Trump was president, namely the fact that our air and water got dirtier, and my rights decreased.
And Biden has fixed all that?

Doesn't really matter, nothing much is going to change for the better regardless of who or which party controls the government.
I think you are missing a key point. One of these candidates can make a lot of peoples lives a hell of a lot worse.

Indeed, and some of them are written to be very hard to reverse but he's still on it.

I'll add that our food safety was way worse under Trump as well. FDA cut backs. Farming issues. https://civileats.com/2020/11/02/how-four-years-of-trump-reshaped-food-and-farming/#:~:text=Federal agencies under Trump have,compared to the previous administration.
I've done equally well under each administration since Reagan.

I think you are missing a key point. One of these candidates can make a lot of peoples lives a hell of a lot worse.
Those who are dependent on government?

Those who are dependent on government?
Those who are dependent on the govt. Those who don't want a broken and divided nation. Those who respect democracy. Those who respect morals. Those who respect laws++ + + .There area whole lot of groups who could see their vision of what they want the country to be badly harmed. Once you elect a highly immoral, authoritarian, narcissist who thinks they are above the law, all bets are off about how much harm he could really cause.

Those who are dependent on the govt. Those who don't want a broken and divided nation. Those who respect democracy. Those who respect morals. Those who respect laws++ + + .There area whole lot of groups who could see their vision of what they want the country to be badly harmed. Once you elect a highly immoral, authoritarian, narcissist who thinks they are above the law, all bets are off about how much harm he could really cause.
Well said but that's not even the half of it. Trump wins...goodbye America as we knew it for the past 250 years.

Democracy does not unite people. Whose morals, laws?
What governing issues need attention?

Democracy does not unite people. Whose morals, laws?
What governing issues need attention?
Morals - just the basics really. Say like - don't cheat on your wife, don't lie endlessly, don't commit fraud, don't sexually assault others (and brag about it), You know, Just simple things really.
Laws - the ones that we have of course. Nothing new, just the ones that are designed to protect society from evil doers.
Governing issues that need attention - where to start? They cut across both political streams. Let's say illegal immigration as one, then the western words most unequal income spread as another. Add in federal debt, and let's have the worlds highest incarceration rate and the highest homicide rate in the developed world. It's a big list, and either party will only address the bits that suit them, while mostly ignoring any additional harm created.

Democracy does unite people when it is implemented well. Outside the US, political division in comparable democratic societies is pretty much constrained to the extremists fringes. In the US however, the political extremists have started to invade the central core of politics. That's not the fault of democracy. That's the fault of people letting themselves be lead by evil.

Morals - just the basics really. Say like - don't cheat on your wife, don't lie endlessly, don't commit fraud, don't sexually assault others (and brag about it), You know, Just simple things really.
Laws - the ones that we have of course. Nothing new, just the ones that are designed to protect society from evil doers.
Governing issues that need attention - where to start? They cut across both political streams. Let's say illegal immigration as one, then the western words most unequal income spread as another. Add in federal debt, and let's have the worlds highest incarceration rate and the highest homicide rate in the developed world. It's a big list, and either party will only address the bits that suit them, while mostly ignoring any additional harm created.

Democracy does unite people when it is implemented well. Outside the US, political division in comparable democratic societies is pretty much constrained to the extremists fringes. In the US however, the political extremists have started to invade the central core of politics. That's not the fault of democracy. That's the fault of people letting themselves be lead by evil.
Applying morals and laws would make it quite hard to find enough people to fill our government offices.
Governing issues, now that's something I've yet to find a political forum that pays any attention to.
Unequal income, that's something I've tried to find two or more people who are willing to discuss what could be done to begin resolving, to no avail.
If we're going to call U.S. government a Democracy, then we need for voters to begin discussing governing issues and hold their elected representatives in our Republic accountable to making changes a great majority of voters can agree need be made.

How, exactly does democracy unite people? When people are united, democracy works well. It's much easier to unite a small group of people than millions.

Applying morals and laws would make it quite hard to find enough people to fill our government offices.
I would like to see a massive cut back in the money allowed in our politics. I believe a huge amount of the corruption that is a constant cause of lack of public trust in the political system. The country I am working in at the moment limits the political spend of all parties and all potential representatives combined during a national election (like our Presidential election) to less than a single wannabe Senator would spend on a campaign in a single state. By a funny coincidence, that country is rated as the 1st or 2nd least corrupt country in the world, and while living here you can see the difference in the stability and logic of their political decision making.
Governing issues, now that's something I've yet to find a political forum that pays any attention to.
For me, political decision making is heavily influenced by economic policy. The economy feeds everything else. A lot of things like say abortion, guns etc are not mt vote deciders if there is a better economic policy of offer, but it needs to be one that doesn't ignore the social needs that create a harmonious and safe society.
Unequal income, that's something I've tried to find two or more people who are willing to discuss what could be done to begin resolving, to no avail.
The US rates poorly among it's peers for equality of incomes. So much that is bad stems from this imo. For me this would be an absolute priority to address, but it needs to be managed over time to avoid sudden impacts on the wider economy. Raising the minimum wage is a good starting point, but not a complete solution.
If we're going to call U.S. government a Democracy, then we need for voters to begin discussing governing issues and hold their elected representatives in our Republic accountable to making changes a great majority of voters can agree need be made.
There is massive tribalism in US politics today. Much more than I have observed in any other country I have lived in. Building the political center and depowering the political extremes needs to be a focus.
How, exactly does democracy unite people? When people are united, democracy works well. It's much easier to unite a small group of people than millions.
To unite people within a democracy you need to start with respect. Sadly missing in US politics today. A good example I can share because I know of it, is what happened here in New Zealand during covid. They had a recently elected liberal govt who had a bit more than the 50% of the vote they needed, so not wildly popular, but both main parties here are reasonably centrist, so no attempted coups etc either. When covid came, the liberal leadership did a fantastic and inclusive job of managing the country. Eventually actually eliminating covid at a time when the rest of the world had millions dying. The govt included experienced, high profile people from the opposition party directly into it's key management committees and decisions. The whole message was that this was a united team response. So, so unlike the US where Trump worked hard to create political division.
There was a national satisfaction survey taken here late in the covid period. The govt polled a satisfaction rating above 90%. So elected with something over 50%, and then a 90%+ satisfaction rating during a period of very high public stress and uncertainty. What was so different to so many other countries was that democracy was respected and partisan politics was put aside. Bring some respect back into US politics and democracy will work a whole lot better than it does today.

Back
Top Bottom