• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How To Talk To Anti Gun People

DebateChallenge

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Here is how to talk to anti gun people.

If this tedious man started talking to me I would suddenly remember an urgent appointment elsewhere and make my escape. The same goes for anyone foolish enough to accept his advice.

Here is how to talk to anti gun people.

Johnny B is great, informative and entertaining. This message is so simple at its core and the truth: when we encounter scary things, we are 100% okay with calling for someone else to handle the problem using whatever force they need to. I personally disagree with this philosophy and choose to be my own first line of defense while waiting for backup.

Some of us are sick of gun culture and are smart enough to know how criminals get guns, (straw purchases.) We think it's ridiculous to buy a gun, to protect yourself from the guns criminals get from you in the first place. You create this little war and enjoy playing the character.

I don't. I'd just get rid of the guns. Therefore I'd get rid of the need for one.

Shit happens occasionally, but in America, we create a bigger problem, and we could fix it but we have this 2nd Amd that will guarantee you an excuse to not fix it.

Death and fear from our high gun ownership seem worth it to the majority in this country. Therefore the best one can hope for is some gun legislation to cut down the gun death totals.

I don't think the police need guns either.

I watch those militias and know that if they practice that much, and have all the gear they will "start" an "opportunity" to use it eventually. Hence Jan.6th. There will be more of this, I'm sure.
The statement on his T Shirt says enough. Americans think drawing blood and a person's last breath is necessary for protection. It's not.

So no, this guy in the video doesn't convince me of anything.

Some of us are sick of gun culture and are smart enough to know how criminals get guns, (straw purchases.)
Criminals get guns from the illegal market, or they make the guns themselves.
We think it's ridiculous to buy a gun, to protect yourself from the guns criminals get from you in the first place.
If you were faced with criminals you would no doubt call people with guns, the police.
I don't. I'd just get rid of the guns. Therefore I'd get rid of the need for one.
And yet you rely on people with guns, police, soldiers, ect.

Criminals get guns from the illegal market, or they make the guns themselves.

If you were faced with criminals you would no doubt call people with guns, the police.

And yet you rely on people with guns, police, soldiers, ect.

You can clearly see the difference between our gun culture and the lack of one in England. The police are calm, and confident in England compared to the U.S.

This is the difference between a country that demands the right to carry guns and a country that has strict gun laws. We choose this danger, and the majority of criminals get their guns from straw purchases. That's just the facts. There is no debate there.
You get a gun to protect yourself from the guns you allow criminals to purchase. It's a stupid cycle, and it continues because you want it to.

In fact, there are a number of sources that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands, with gun thefts at the bottom of the list. Wachtel says one of the most common ways criminals get guns is through straw purchase sales. A straw purchase occurs when someone who may not legally acquire a firearm, or who wants to do so anonymously, has a companion buy it on their behalf. According to a 1994 ATF study on "Sources of Crime Guns in Southern California," many straw purchases are conducted in an openly "suggestive" manner where two people walk into a gun store, one selects a firearm, and then the other uses identification for the purchase and pays for the gun. Or, several underage people walk into a store and an adult with them makes the purchases. Both of these are illegal activities.
The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers.

You can clearly see the difference between our gun culture and the lack of one in England. The police are calm, and confident in England compared to the U.S.
And yet in England police do have guns, police in special divisions.
This is the difference between a country that demands the right to carry guns and a country that has strict gun laws.
Strict gun laws would go against the 2A in the United States.
We choose this danger, and the majority of criminals get their guns from straw purchases.
Wrong.
They get them from the illegal market.
That's just the facts.
Your facts, not the real facts.
There is no debate there.
There's no debate that you're wrong, yes I know.
You get a gun to protect yourself from the guns you allow criminals to purchase.
No we don't allow criminals to purchase guns. When you get something off the illegal market whether it be guns or whatever else, that means its not allowed, that's why its called the illegal market.
It's a stupid cycle, and it continues because you want it to.
Nope, some of the most gun friendly states are also some of the states with the lowest crime rates.
In fact, there are a number of sources that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands, with gun thefts at the bottom of the list. Wachtel says one of the most common ways criminals get guns is through straw purchase sales. A straw purchase occurs when someone who may not legally acquire a firearm, or who wants to do so anonymously, has a companion buy it on their behalf.
And when the gun is traced back to the companion who bought it, the companion gets in trouble.
According to a 1994 ATF study on "Sources of Crime Guns in Southern California," many straw purchases are conducted in an openly "suggestive" manner where two people walk into a gun store, one selects a firearm, and then the other uses identification for the purchase and pays for the gun. Or, several underage people walk into a store and an adult with them makes the purchases. Both of these are illegal activities.
Most gun stores don't allow this and they've got surveillance set up to stop it.
The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers.
I will admit there are some bad apple dealers but they make up the vast minority of gun dealers.

Lets face it, you're all fine and dandy with guns if they're in the hands of people who work for the government (police, military, ect.)

You think a made for TV event reflects real life?
This is the difference between a country that demands the right to carry guns and a country that has strict gun laws. We choose this danger, and the majority of criminals get their guns from straw purchases. That's just the facts. There is no debate there.
In "Source and Use of Firearms Involved in Crimes: Survey of Prison Inmates, 2016", the DOJ reported in Table 5 where criminals get their guns. We see that vast majority of guns in the hands of criminals come from straw purchases, family transfers, theft and the underground market (Illegal sources of firearms that include markets for stolen goods, middlemen for stolen goods, criminals or criminal enterprises, or individuals or groups involved in sales of illegal drug). A total of 0.8% come from gun shows. Purchases from "good guys" in private sales don't even show up.

You get a gun to protect yourself from the guns you allow criminals to purchase. It's a stupid cycle, and it continues because you want it to.
You do realize that straw purchasers pass a federal (and sometimes state) background check, right?
In fact, there are a number of sources that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands, with gun thefts at the bottom of the list. Wachtel says one of the most common ways criminals get guns is through straw purchase sales. A straw purchase occurs when someone who may not legally acquire a firearm, or who wants to do so anonymously, has a companion buy it on their behalf. According to a 1994 ATF study on "Sources of Crime Guns in Southern California," many straw purchases are conducted in an openly "suggestive" manner where two people walk into a gun store, one selects a firearm, and then the other uses identification for the purchase and pays for the gun. Or, several underage people walk into a store and an adult with them makes the purchases. Both of these are illegal activities.
I'd trust the FBI data over this, but look at what you're saying. Someone who legally can buy a gun buys one and then sells it to a criminal. How do you prevent that without making it illegal for actual lawful people to buy a gun?

How do you prevent legally licensed sellers from acting illegally, unless there are no legally licensed sellers?

What would it take to get to "no guns" in the US, given that we have 400 million guns and the Bill of Rights?

How do you prevent the police from having guns?

And yet in England police do have guns, police in special divisions.

Strict gun laws would go against the 2A in the United States.

Wrong.
They get them from the illegal market.

Your facts, not the real facts.

There's no debate that you're wrong, yes I know.

No we don't allow criminals to purchase guns. When you get something off the illegal market whether it be guns or whatever else, that means its not allowed, that's why its called the illegal market.

Nope, some of the most gun friendly states are also some of the states with the lowest crime rates.

And when the gun is traced back to the companion who bought it, the companion gets in trouble.

Most gun stores don't allow this and they've got surveillance set up to stop it.

I will admit there are some bad apple dealers but they make up the vast minority of gun dealers.

Lets face it, you're all fine and dandy with guns if they're in the hands of people who work for the government (police, military, ect.)
LMAO, you do a better job as you're own debater than I would. All the facts are an easy search, don't assume people aren't smart enough to do the research because they are.
Watch the videos I posted, and you'll find out just how many people are shot by cops in a year there compared to America.

You've just created a life you want to live in but selling it to people who know darn well it doesn't have to be that way is a stretch. Good luck with that. ;)

Last edited:
You think a made for TV event reflects real life?

In "Source and Use of Firearms Involved in Crimes: Survey of Prison Inmates, 2016", the DOJ reported in Table 5 where criminals get their guns. We see that vast majority of guns in the hands of criminals come from straw purchases, family transfers, theft and the underground market (Illegal sources of firearms that include markets for stolen goods, middlemen for stolen goods, criminals or criminal enterprises, or individuals or groups involved in sales of illegal drug). A total of 0.8% come from gun shows. Purchases from "good guys" in private sales don't even show up.

You do realize that straw purchasers pass a federal (and sometimes state) background check, right?

I'd trust the FBI data over this, but look at what you're saying. Someone who legally can buy a gun buys one and then sells it to a criminal. How do you prevent that without making it illegal for actual lawful people to buy a gun?

How do you prevent legally licensed sellers from acting illegally, unless there are no legally licensed sellers?

What would it take to get to "no guns" in the US, given that we have 400 million guns and the Bill of Rights?

How do you prevent the police from having guns?
Listen, I just answered the question posed. That excuse that you have to call armed police therefore you agree with gun ownership doesn't apply to me because I think cops shouldn't be armed like they are here either. I want a ban and a turn-in. So, that excuse doesn't work for me. I showed you it's a choice, and it's not only something Americans choose to live with but also promote, like said little video up there. ^^

You can debate my opinion all you want, and have fun, but it doesn't change the facts. America doesn't have to be this way, we choose it, and if it's up to me and my vote I will not and I'm not the only one here in this country that thinks that way. I answered the question, no, that wouldn't convince me to buy a gun.

Is he saying "yams" or am I having a stroke?
Yes. He will often substitute random words for those sensitive topics that the youtube algorithm has a field day with.
You can’t talk to anti gun people. Well, I mean you can talk all you want but the haters won’t listed.
I think you can most times in real life, but not here in internet land though. There are teams and personas to uphold and yams aren't on the menu.

Some of us are sick of gun culture and are smart enough to know how criminals get guns, (straw purchases.) We think it's ridiculous to buy a gun, to protect yourself from the guns criminals get from you in the first place. You create this little war and enjoy playing the character.

Shit happens occasionally, but in America, we create a bigger problem, and we could fix it but we have this 2nd Amd that will guarantee you an excuse to not fix it.

Death and fear from our high gun ownership seem worth it to the majority in this country. Therefore the best one can hope for is some gun legislation to cut down the gun death totals.

I don't think the police need guns either.

I watch those militias and know that if they practice that much, and have all the gear they will "start" an "opportunity" to use it eventually. Hence Jan.6th. There will be more of this, I'm sure.
The statement on his T Shirt says enough. Americans think drawing blood and a person's last breath is necessary for protection. It's not.

So no, this guy in the video doesn't convince me of anything.

The numbers of officers taking down this one man exceeds many, many police departments.

Listen, I just answered the question posed. That excuse that you have to call armed police therefore you agree with gun ownership doesn't apply to me because I think cops shouldn't be armed like they are here either. I want a ban and a turn-in. So, that excuse doesn't work for me. I showed you it's a choice, and it's not only something Americans choose to live with but also promote, like said little video up there. ^^
You can wish for the impossible all you want, and not even the UK has done what you desire.

You can debate my opinion all you want, and have fun, but it doesn't change the facts. America doesn't have to be this way, we choose it, and if it's up to me and my vote I will not and I'm not the only one here in this country that thinks that way. I answered the question, no, that wouldn't convince me to buy a gun.
I don't want you to have a gun.

If, as you state, we want this, then your vote doesn't matter.

The numbers of officers taking down this one man exceeds many, many police departments.
So guns save on staff? Is that the point? Shooting people does use fewer resources.
I mean, you have a point I guess.

I think the main point is it is possible to deal with criminals without the use of firearms and in a calm way.
The problem seems to be that many US cops feel only total obedience by the public is acceptable and any pushback, however slight will cause them to escalate the encounter.

Many US police tactics would be completely illegal in the UK as we have far less acceptance for overly agressive police and we don't have qualified immunity for them to hide behind.

You can wish for the impossible all you want, and not even the UK has done what you desire.

I don't want you to have a gun.

If, as you state, we want this, then your vote doesn't matter.
Well, I'm an anti-gun person, and this thread is directed to people who want to convert us. So I answered with the result regarding me, with my opinion.

But, my vote does matter. Everyone's vote matters. There might not be enough until there is. The Constitution can be amended, it's not a bible.

Regarding the UK, it's reasonable there IMO. I stated before nothing is 100%. I'm not wishing for anything more than they do. So, no need for that ridiculous statement, I think you just feel good saying it. Your right. Says more about you than me though.

I think the main point is it is possible to deal with criminals without the use of firearms and in a calm way.
The problem seems to be that many US cops feel only total obedience by the public is acceptable and any pushback, however slight will cause them to escalate the encounter.

Many US police tactics would be completely illegal in the UK as we have far less acceptance for overly agressive police and we don't have qualified immunity for them to hide behind.
Yes, and places like England show our society that it's possible to have a system not reliant on firearms. Not saying they're never used, or there is no crime in England just to clarify but the reliance on guns both by police and civilians isn't the same.

This man in the video thinks that because I would call the police, I condone their use of firearms because I will see their necessity. That simply isn't true, and I don't see their necessity.

Back
Top Bottom