• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to Save Baseball

Not saying this stands a chance of happening, but if it did, baseball would become popular again.

Shorten the season. Rather than start in April and end in October, schedule the World Series around Labor Day weekend, a week before the NFL gets rolling. It would me must see TV.

Start the Season closer to June. No one wants to see baseballs and snow flying together. Memorial Day would be an ideal starting date.

Play two separate half-seasons, one in June and the other in July, to determine playoff teams. Make the playoffs an all of August thing, leading to that WS on Labor Day Weekend

For real. Baseball can't compete with basketball and hockey playoffs. So, why try? Also, baseball cannot even get attention once the NFL kicks off. So, avoid competing with it at all costs.

No one gives a crap about baseball now. So, what have they to lose?

You should have named your thread how to kill baseball because that's what your suggestion would do

Baseball's biggest problem is it is SLOW. There's no way to fix that short of reinventing the whole game.

Yes the average person has the attention span of a golden retriever these days

You should have named your thread how to kill baseball because that's what your suggestion would do
Actually, it matches what our Pony league was like back in the day. Two short seasons, one long "lose go home" playoff. No one was bored. All the games mattered.

I went to my first game in years last night. Boring as hell, but it was in a party suite, very nice.

Not saying this stands a chance of happening, but if it did, baseball would become popular again.

Shorten the season. Rather than start in April and end in October, schedule the World Series around Labor Day weekend, a week before the NFL gets rolling. It would me must see TV.

Start the Season closer to June. No one wants to see baseballs and snow flying together. Memorial Day would be an ideal starting date.

Play two separate half-seasons, one in June and the other in July, to determine playoff teams. Make the playoffs an all of August thing, leading to that WS on Labor Day Weekend

For real. Baseball can't compete with basketball and hockey playoffs. So, why try? Also, baseball cannot even get attention once the NFL kicks off. So, avoid competing with it at all costs.

No one gives a crap about baseball now. So, what have they to lose?

Personally, I do not like these changes. For me, one of the charms of baseball is how much it merges with everyday life. A 160 game season is a big part of that.

Personally, I do not like these changes. For me, one of the charms of baseball is how much it merges with everyday life. A 160 game season is a big part of that.
6 months of games, six days a week. Three-game series, where even the best teams rarely sweep. It takes a lot of patience to give a shit about any particular game.

Think just about everyone recognizes some change is needed to improve MLB. The problem you have at the moment are too many competing interests who can't agree on the changes. All invovled, fans, ownership, and players have differing ideas on what should change or kept the same. Some changes are coming, but doubt it's going to change enough for those who see the game through a negative lens already.

Personally, i'm not concerned about the future of MLB nor do I care if someone doesn't understand the appeal the game has for current fans.

That’s another gripe I have. I used to be a huge Dodgers fan in the day. I’d get a woody every time I walked into Chavez Ravine. There’s just something out that place……..

Oh the gripe? Quit stepping out of the batters box after every pitch to adjust the glove, tap the cleats and tuck the cup. Then settle the batting helmet down as you step into the box.

Hurry up every chance you get slugger

Cricket has rules about slow play.
Bowlers that slow down deliberately can get the team penalized.

6 months of games, six days a week. Three-game series, where even the best teams rarely sweep. It takes a lot of patience to give a shit about any particular game.

Thats true. I tend to focus on the series.

Probably my fondest memories of baseball are when, in my twenties and thirties my team was a pennant contender. And when we played a close competitor, I'd attend all of the games. Watching a whole series, one really got to see where each player in both sides was at. It was an endurance test. Each game like a set in a tennis match..

We'd party in the stands Friday and Saturday night while watching the games. Then I'd limp in on Sunday for the final game and slake that hangover with a fresh cold one. Good times!

Thats true. I tend to focus on the series.

Probably my fondest memories of baseball are when, in my twenties and thirties my team was a pennant contender. And when we played a close competitor, I'd attend all of the games. Watching a whole series, one really got to see where each player in both sides was at. It was an endurance test. Each game like a set in a tennis match..

We'd party in the stands Friday and Saturday night while watching the games. Then I'd limp in on Sunday for the final game and slake that hangover with a fresh cold one. Good times!
I was a bleacher bum at Wrigley when the tickets were $3. Talk about the good old days.

I was a bleacher bum at Wrigley when the tickets were $3. Talk about the good old days.
Just curious what that $3 would be now in inflation adjusted dollars.

Wrigley used to be all day games. In August, you went to them in a pair of shorts, no shirt and drank beer. In the bleachers, the sun kicked your ass. Burned you, if you were fair-skinned. Those of darker complexion just cooked...and drank more beer.

Good times.

I miss the old Yankee Stadium. The new one doesn't have the same feel. I'm not saying it isn't nice because it does have a lot of better features like the concourse and such.
The new Yankee Stadium is a joke. I've been in Little League parks that had bigger dimensions...
Old Yankee Stadium? Now that was a baseball park. Terrific stadium..

And yeah I remember the $3-4 tickets at Shea. Shea was a dump, but it was our dump...

Speaking of Shea. Maybe the coldest I've ever been was being at a Jets game in December at Shea.. Sitting way up in the top deck, nothing to block the wind coming off the water...

Thought it was going to die... Lol

Back
Top Bottom