• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How much are the victims at fault vs police for their interactions/outcomes?

Just curious what people think about the interactions we have seen when it comes to black people interacting vs police.

Every time, or very high percentage of time, when i see one of these videos where a black guy gets killed/shot by police, i never see it as JUST the officers fault, besides very few cases.

It just seems that every time one of these horrible incidents happen, black people refuse to follow the most basic instructions, which then leads to uncertainty and chaos.

Lets use the most recent attention grab of the week, the Blake shooting, watching the video, you can hear the officers screaming their instructions, and Blake refusing to follow them whats so ever, thus trying to get in his car and what ever was to happen after that, thus putting officers in a strange situation which 1. you dont let someone get in a car for 100 different reasons that present danger, and 2. you are letting the person who has now committed a crime(not listening to police orders) into his get away vehicle and we know what happens shortly after.

How much of this entire interaction is Blakes fault and how much of it are the officers faults? How many people here think that Mr. Blake would still have been shot if he listened to every instruction provided by the officers? I believe he would not have been shot at all would anyone dispute this?

Again, time and time again we see the title "officer shoots a black man" sure, its a great cash grab for the media, they get tons of views and its 100% the reason they showing you only these cases that involve cops, usually white cops killing a black guy out of millions of cases they pick out the certain few, anyone with a brain gets that its purely for financial reasons when it comes to the "news" reporting on it if thats what we can call news outlets these days.

For me im just always shaking my head, thinking that like 99% of these deaths, or shootings, or interactions can be prevented so easily... literally in most cases NOT FIGHTING THE OFFICERS and then blaming them when something goes wrong.

The worst part about these interactions, most of the time a bunch of innocent people get hurt further, a person gets shot or killed, and then we have that neighborhood get set on fire, the innocent peoples small businesses burned, other corporations flee that area, and its just bad all around... and all for something that should not even be happening if the most basic and simple instructions were to be followed....

The Daniel Shaver case is the only case that seems to be a pure psycho cop. That case never went super viral. White cop , white victim. Who cares Not CNN.

I was once questioned by police because I was outside my house watering and a neighbor called and thought that suspicious. :lol: It was a fairly friendly encounter but if I’d told the cop to go **** himself and tried running back inside or reaching into my pocket while screaming about how the only good cop is a dead cop, my skin color or bank account would not have saved me (not that I’m rich).

Now what that happened 10 times or 20 times, how would you feel about the police

Her past experience,

Look at her career

That proves nothing. I truly hope no pro police voter just relies on that as an indicator of general support for police. That would be a mistake.

That proves nothing. I truly hope no pro police voter just relies on that as an indicator of general support for police. That would be a mistake.

Tough on crime drugs especially is not exactly taking criminals sides now is it

I was once questioned by police because I was outside my house watering and a neighbor called and thought that suspicious. :lol: It was a fairly friendly encounter but if I’d told the cop to go **** himself and tried running back inside or reaching into my pocket while screaming about how the only good cop is a dead cop, my skin color or bank account would not have saved me (not that I’m rich).

Do you think that all or even most of these encounters start with the suspect? That people who the cops have stopped just start screeching and threatening and resisting for no reason, with no provocation?

Cops have gotten terrible in how they treat people that don't look like they can do anything about it. There is dominance in their training and imposing ones will on others is a potent neurochemical buzz. And some develop a taste for it. Push from maintaining control to bullying.

This isn't all or even most in my experience. But it is real. I have seen cops talk to people and treat people with absolute contempt and disrespect. Often obviously trying to get a rise out of their "perp". Escalating if they do.

It is super offensive to watch and quite chilling to realize that saying something could put you in their crosshairs.

You wouldn't like it. Your wouldn't want to put up with it. You can at least bark back when a civilian starts talking **** to you. But cops get to talk to you any way they want to. And you gotta take it. Or else.

You obviously have never been there.

Nobody who has is as cavalier about this as you are.

I feel it necessary to warn adolescent males to be careful around cops lest they end up dead or in the system for having too smart a mouth.

This sums up my position:

Keeping people safe should never make them afraid.

Police culture in this country makes people afraid. Makes children scream in fear.

How do you think watching that cop pump bullets into their dad right in front of them is going to affect Blake's kids?

You wonder why people have such bad attitudes about cops?

Because people witness this, are victims of it or know those who have. And once you suffer at the hands of an officer of the state and nothing is done about it, the system ignores you or worse looks you in the eye and says they know they did nothing wromg because they asked themselves and told themselves they didn't, it stays with you. Colors your opinion forever going forward.

Because you know different than the narrative that it always goes down the way the cops say it does.

Because you saw it happen.

Maybe to your dad. Maybe got some of his blood splashed on you.

Do you think that all or even most of these encounters start with the suspect? That people who the cops have stopped just start screeching and threatening and resisting for no reason, with no provocation?

Cops have gotten terrible in how they treat people that don't look like they can do anything about it. There is dominance in their training and imposing ones will on others is a potent neurochemical buzz. And some develop a taste for it. Push from maintaining control to bullying.

This isn't all or even most in my experience. But it is real. I have seen cops talk to people and treat people with absolute contempt and disrespect. Often obviously trying to get a rise out of their "perp". Escalating if they do.

It is super offensive to watch and quite chilling to realize that saying something could put you in their crosshairs.

You wouldn't like it. Your wouldn't want to put up with it. You can at least bark back when a civilian starts talking **** to you. But cops get to talk to you any way they want to. And you gotta take it. Or else.

You obviously have never been there.

Nobody who has is as cavalier about this as you are.

I feel it necessary to warn adolescent males to be careful around cops lest they end up dead or in the system for having too smart a mouth.

This sums up my position:

Keeping people safe should never make them afraid.

Police culture in this country makes people afraid. Makes children scream in fear.

How do you think watching that cop pump bullets into their dad right in front of them is going to affect Blake's kids?

You wonder why people have such bad attitudes about cops?

Because people witness this, are victims of it or know those who have. And once you suffer at the hands of an officer of the state and nothing is done about it, the system ignores you or worse looks you in the eye and says they know they did nothing wromg because they asked themselves and told themselves they didn't, it stays with you. Colors your opinion forever going forward.

Because you know different than the narrative that it always goes down the way the cops say it does.

Because you saw it happen.

Maybe to your dad. Maybe got some of his blood splashed on you.

If it’s not “all or even most” than stop trying to convince people their lives are in imminent and immediate danger any time they have contact with police. You’re not doing anyone any favors with that no matter how much it satisfies your hate boner.

wait what? They were there because of a domestic call... why are we talking about expensive suites? What subject are you trying to change here cuz the most basic questions are too hard for you to explain? I asked a simple question, how much is cops fault vs the person thats interacting with them? in this case Blake, would he have been shot if he followed every instruction? Does anyone here, that is not racist, 100% believe that he would have been shot, if he put his hands up, or behind his back, and followed every instruction? besides trolling, you honestly cant sit here with a straight face and tell me that he would of got shot out of the blue just the same.....

This time it was all the cops fault. They shot an unarmed man in the back 7 times. Deadly force is only to be used when the life of the officer or a citizen is on the line. That is not the case here, so shooting the man in the back is all the officers fault. You can argue Blake should have listened to the police, but why was the officer even following him or giving him orders. The two women told the officer that Balke did nothing wrong and only came to break up the fight, which was already over by the time the police arrived. The police had no legal reason to keep Blake there and Blake told them he was leaving had to take his kids to a party. I have no idea what was in the officer's mind when he started shooting and just kept shooting, but this whole thing was the officers fault.

If you get hurt resisting arrest tuff ****.

If you get hurt resisting arrest tuff ****.

Did it look like he was resisting arrest and exactly what would he have been arrested for? You have to have and give a reason to detain a citizen if you are a policeman and you also have to give a reason if you are arresting him. The guy did nothing wrong. He, being black, pissed off the officers and they shot him 7 times in the back.

Just change the requirements for joining the Police department, must be a life-long Democrat, and give preference to applicants with darer skin colour.

Police departments should be 87% Black/dark skinned and 13% white, and white officers should ONLY be allowed to interact with white persons.

Ideally, the police should go on strike Nationwide for a month or two, or until things quiet down or people of colour demand they come back to work.

If it’s not “all or even most” than stop trying to convince people their lives are in imminent and immediate danger any time they have contact with police. You’re not doing anyone any favors with that no matter how much it satisfies your hate boner.

That's a lot of words just to say "Nuh uh".

Just curious what people think about the interactions we have seen when it comes to black people interacting vs police.

Every time, or very high percentage of time, when i see one of these videos where a black guy gets killed/shot by police, i never see it as JUST the officers fault, besides very few cases.

It just seems that every time one of these horrible incidents happen, black people refuse to follow the most basic instructions, which then leads to uncertainty and chaos.

Lets use the most recent attention grab of the week, the Blake shooting, watching the video, you can hear the officers screaming their instructions, and Blake refusing to follow them whats so ever, thus trying to get in his car and what ever was to happen after that, thus putting officers in a strange situation which 1. you dont let someone get in a car for 100 different reasons that present danger, and 2. you are letting the person who has now committed a crime(not listening to police orders) into his get away vehicle and we know what happens shortly after.

How much of this entire interaction is Blakes fault and how much of it are the officers faults? How many people here think that Mr. Blake would still have been shot if he listened to every instruction provided by the officers? I believe he would not have been shot at all would anyone dispute this?

Again, time and time again we see the title "officer shoots a black man" sure, its a great cash grab for the media, they get tons of views and its 100% the reason they showing you only these cases that involve cops, usually white cops killing a black guy out of millions of cases they pick out the certain few, anyone with a brain gets that its purely for financial reasons when it comes to the "news" reporting on it if thats what we can call news outlets these days.

For me im just always shaking my head, thinking that like 99% of these deaths, or shootings, or interactions can be prevented so easily... literally in most cases NOT FIGHTING THE OFFICERS and then blaming them when something goes wrong.

The worst part about these interactions, most of the time a bunch of innocent people get hurt further, a person gets shot or killed, and then we have that neighborhood get set on fire, the innocent peoples small businesses burned, other corporations flee that area, and its just bad all around... and all for something that should not even be happening if the most basic and simple instructions were to be followed....

I can't believe your OP. It is about as disgusting as it gets.

How much are the victims at fault for the police action?

Lots of times they are at fault as the police are there to enforce the laws and they normally have been called for some reason or problem reported that has to do with the victim. Having said that, if the victim is shot and there was no evident risk to the officer, the police are 100% at fault. There is absolutely no reason to ever shoot a victim if that victim does not present a danger to the officer. Case in point and clearly shown in the Floyd and Blake shootings.

No, no, don’t change anything on my account. I don’t believe it anyway. BTW, officers shooting someone unarmed is a very small percentage of officer involved shootings not that that would make any kind of difference to you.

The standard of conduct must be higher for enforcers of the law. Otherwise they become agents of an authoritarian state.

Really? Ok now you have:

biden on the rioting - Bing video
or
Fort Worth Police Officer Shoots, Kills Woman Inside Her Own Home – CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
or
Dallas officer goes home to wrong apartment, kills man inside

The standard of conduct must be higher for enforcers of the law. Otherwise they become agents of an authoritarian state.

Right, they should let themselves be shot.

OK, apparently he just tried to break up a fight. Somebody called the cops on him.

So we all see how the guy that got shot was dressed and what he was driving.

Do you think the guy in a thousand dollar suit with a $100k car would have been instantly subjected to what the one who was, was?

I don't.

We never hear of rich folks being manhandled and mistreated by cops. Ever wonder why?

It's because cops treat rich people with deference, because unlike the poor, the rich might actually be able to have their job.

This is reality.

im with you pal that rich folks should not be able to get away with stuff, but thats a whole different problem im not sure what it has to do with my thread or this specific situation...

You do know that Blake has charges of third-degree assault, trespassing and disorderly conduct? And there was a warrant for his arrest? Thats why the police was there..... Like you dont just let a guy like that fight you and then get in a car and escape... hes a freaking criminal....what has this country come to where we burn cities and kill other people because a thug was shot......Yes, sure, i dont want anyone to die, would i have shot him? Probably not, but then again, im in my comfy chair with the only risk of death is me getting a heart attack from people being so dumb in this country now that they can no longer see what is horrible and what is justified.

Im tired of other people getting hurt because of these criminals who fight police and refuse to follow any order and when something happens because of their actions its only the police at fault, no mention of the criminals... If you would have told me that this is what this country is going to become 20 years ago i would have never believed you, its just so insane to listen to, im shocked and really sad of whats happening of this great country.

Did it look like he was resisting arrest and exactly what would he have been arrested for? You have to have and give a reason to detain a citizen if you are a policeman and you also have to give a reason if you are arresting him. The guy did nothing wrong. He, being black, pissed off the officers and they shot him 7 times in the back.

He has charges of third-degree assault, trespassing and disorderly conduct and there is a warrant for his arrest.... Please read up b4 u post like this because ppl like u is whats hurting this country...We got a bunch of clowns running around stealing, burning and hurting other people because some criminal thug was shot for doing what he has done in the past but this time he got shot, and im supposed to feel sorry for him? Idolize him? Protest for him? What is wrong with you lunatics..... honestly... are you all just taking the wrong meds or what?

What is this supposed to prove? That mistakes happen? That there can be bad cops? We learned that during like what? 2nd grade? I dont understand your point... Police get called into MILLIONS of cases a year and you hand pick the few that go bad and try to portray this as some sort of FACT or underlining issue in our society? Please, it does not help your point at all.....I dont see protests when a doctor messes up a surgery and kills someone? He just loses his medical license.....I dont see protests when white people get killed by cops(more percentage of white ppl get killed by officers than black people) we dont have protests for them? Oh i get it, its only a black thing.....Black people went from tough and hard working people to the softest most annoying people to be around, everything and everyone is out to get them, hurt them, and everything and everyone are racist if they dont agree with them, its just sad.

What is this supposed to prove? That mistakes happen? That there can be bad cops? We learned that during like what? 2nd grade? I dont understand your point... Police get called into MILLIONS of cases a year and you hand pick the few that go bad and try to portray this as some sort of FACT or underlining issue in our society? Please, it does not help your point at all.....I dont see protests when a doctor messes up a surgery and kills someone? He just loses his medical license.....I dont see protests when white people get killed by cops(more percentage of white ppl get killed by officers than black people) we dont have protests for them? Oh i get it, its only a black thing.....Black people went from tough and hard working people to the softest most annoying people to be around, everything and everyone is out to get them, hurt them, and everything and everyone are racist if they dont agree with them, its just sad.

You made following statement:
"Every time, or very high percentage of time, when i see one of these videos where a black guy gets killed/shot by police, i never see it as JUST the officers fault, besides very few cases.

It just seems that every time one of these horrible incidents happen, black people refuse to follow the most basic instructions, which then leads to uncertainty and chaos."
I proved that it not true and all were very recent incidents, sorry it destroys your point but It Is What It Is.

You do realize that not all police officer instructions are legal, right? That is, you're not required by law to do them.

It depends on what you are doing and what is going on at the time.
If they legally stop you and or pull you over then yes their order then become legal.

It all depends on the situation and what is going on.

You made following statement:
"Every time, or very high percentage of time, when i see one of these videos where a black guy gets killed/shot by police, i never see it as JUST the officers fault, besides very few cases.

It just seems that every time one of these horrible incidents happen, black people refuse to follow the most basic instructions, which then leads to uncertainty and chaos."
I proved that it not true and all were very recent incidents, sorry it destroys your point but It Is What It Is.

huh? you proved nothing? You proved that there are accidents....or bad people, or bad cops....neither one of them is being argued or debated....You showed us a few cases out of MILLIONS.... bad cop shootings are less than 1% of all their cases....again, are you protesting everytime a doctor messes up a surgery and ends up killing someone? or leaving them permanently injured? Or Lasik eye surgery making you blind instead of fixing your vision? How come i dont see you complaining or protesting about that? Again you literally have no point or argument whats so ever..

Back
Top Bottom