• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many genders are there?

Whatever number would trigger cons the most. Every time a con makes a helicopter joke we add another gender.
I suppose you can do what you want. But ask yourself if advocating for two-spirits and demiboys as marginalized communities in need of special protections actually advances the cause of acceptance and civil rights. After all, that's what this is supposedly about, right? Or is it all just in-group signaling and kayfabe at this point?

The fact that you acknowledge it's all about owning the cons, rather than any struggle for tolerance and acceptance, indicates that somewhere along the way this movement lost its way. Once the real battles are won (e.g. marriage equality), the normies typically go home. And the remaining activists have to invent sillier and sillier causes to justify the existence of their movement.

If you believe science, there are two. If you believe the leftist fairy tale, there are unlimited genders with lost souls creating new genders and pronouns every minute of the day.

And you also believe that this is an 8 year old little girl.

2F478CD700000578-3356084-image-m-23_1449847991988.jpg

And so is 'she'

EOU1Ze4WkAAUnHK.jpg

I suppose you can do what you want. But ask yourself if advocating for two-spirits and demiboys as marginalized communities in need of special protections actually advances the cause of acceptance and civil rights. After all, that's what this is supposedly about, right? Or is it all just in-group signaling and kayfabe at this point?

The fact that you acknowledge it's all about owning the cons, rather than any struggle for tolerance and acceptance, indicates that somewhere along the way this movement lost its way. Once the real battles are won (e.g. marriage equality), the normies typically go home. And the remaining activists have to invent sillier and sillier causes to justify the existence of their movement.
Obviously “owning the cons” was a unserious joke to an unserious question.

An injustice to one is an injustice to all. If you are against discrimination you can’t throw certain people under the bud just because you think they are inconvenient.

I was always taught there were only two,
Perhaps you mistake gender with sex. They are 2 different things, but commonly used interchangeably.
but I was in the 8th grade health class in 1966. Have things changed?
Yes, Considerably.
Didn't Captain Kirk make a play for the green woman on Star Trek?
He made a play for every woman on Star Trek. Although, he did tend to keep a professional distance from female crewmembers, Lt. Uhura & Yeoman Rand being exceptions under special circumstances.
I think he kissed Uhura, too, First interracial kiss on TV maybe.
Technically it was not. But it is probably the most famous for its time.
I'm trying to imagine what the health teacher in 1966 would have done if she asked the class how many genders there were and I raised my hand and said "Over a hundred".
Probably send me to the school nurse to make a needed visit to a psychiatrist. :LOL:
You are probably not wrong. You certainly would have gotten some "looks."

Why do you care? Why does anyone care?
I wonder that too? Maybe because some people have no worries except for what they can make or find for themselves?
The only distinction I care about is between nice people and assholes.
A distinction which sometimes has a thin line I think.
Yeah well in 1966 people thought black and white people shouldn't marry, so....
And some people today think gays should not be allowed to marry. Funny how time moves on but seems to stand still at the same time.
Really, because everybody getting their panties all in a twist over labeling seems pretty idiotic to me.
Not just to you. But not the types who seem to get in the twist.

There is no scientific evidence whatsoever that 'gender' exists. The biological sciences, including genetics. recognise sex.

Why drag in religion? Something left over from primitive and ignorant societies which has mostly vanished from advanced countries like mine - except, of course, among Muslim immigrants.
There is evidence that gender is physical. The brains of males and females are different in the hypothalamus. They also respond differently to stimuli. The brains of trans people are physically more similar to the brain of their identified gender. This physical difference proves two things.

A.) Being trans is not a choice and it cannot n be changed by therapy.

2.) Its not just a feeling or an emotion.

Furthermore, we know that the concept of "gender identity" itself is not simple: It has many dimensions, each of which can vary. There is overlap between the classical genders, as there is in physical measures such as height or strength. This means that, even if we find such apparent gender differences in the brain, they might be difficult to interpret. Furthermore, such differences may be related to factors other than gender identity (for example, sexual preference).

So what has been found? A considerable number of gender differences in the brain have been described. Reassuringly, many of them lie in those parts of the brain that we know are concerned with sexuality (though also with other functions). For example, an area of the hypothalamus, part of the brain well known to be concerned with sexuality (but also with eating, drinking, aggression and other means of survival) is larger in males than females, and smaller in male-to-female transgender brains.

What does this tell us? In fact, not very much, though it’s intriguing. First, because the same finding has been reported in gay men compared to straight ones (so is it concerned with sexual preference?) and secondly, the size of a brain area tells us very little about what it does. Why should a larger INAH3 (the relevant area of the hypothalamus) alter any aspect of sexuality? The brain is not a muscle: What matters is the way it functions (that is, its connections and electrochemical activity), not its size.

There have been reports of chemical differences in male and female brains, but no one knows what these mean, or how (or whether) they relate to particular gender differences in brain function (and these are disputed).

There is evidence that gender is physical. The brains of males and females are different in the hypothalamus. They also respond differently to stimuli. The brains of trans people are physically more similar to the brain of their identified gender. This physical difference proves two things.

A.) Being trans is not a choice and it cannot n be changed by therapy.

2.) Its not just a feeling or an emotion.

So you think there have been systematic and unbiased studies of the brains of trans people? I think one would need to be super credulous to believe that.

So you think there have been systematic and unbiased studies of the brains of trans people? I think one would need to be super credulous to believe that.
Yes, there have. There have been physical exams postmortem and MRIs of living trans people, plus a control group. Did you think that transgendered people were just a liberal cause-du-jour of the past decade or so?

The first known sex change surgery was in 1952, in Denmark. The current procedures and transition care is only slightly modified from what happened there. There has been no radical changes. Stanley Beiber began dosing sex change surgery in Trinidad Colorado in the early 1970s.

Nothing is more cringe than seeing middle-aged people, insecure about their advancing age, adopting immature and trendy beliefs in a doomed effort to fit in with the youths.

View attachment 67398480
Middle aged people such as Drs and psychologists?

Yes, there have. There have been physical exams postmortem and MRIs of living trans people, plus a control group. Did you think that transgendered people were just a liberal cause-du-jour of the past decade or so?

The first known sex change surgery was in 1952, in Denmark. The current procedures and transition care is only slightly modified from what happened there. There has been no radical changes. Stanley Beiber began dosing sex change surgery in Trinidad Colorado in the early 1970s.

Middle aged people such as Drs and psychologists?
Oh dear. Embedded in your comment is the false claim that sex can be changed - and that this miracle can be effected by surgery.

Oh dear. Embedded in your comment is the false claim that sex can be changed - and that this miracle can be effected by surgery.
That sex can be changed as much as current medical technology allows. It is not their fault if the current technology is not perfect.

Do you have a better solution to the problem of gender dysphoria?

I was always taught there were only two, but I was in the 8th grade health class in 1966. Have things changed?

It's a free country... so why do you figure everyone else has to fit themselves according to your labels?

Why can't they be free to be who they want to be?

I was always taught there were only two, but I was in the 8th grade health class in 1966. Have things changed?
Intersex people (neither completely male or female) were known about 4000 years ago, so what you were taught wasn't the complete and accuirate history.
Enki answered Ninmah: "I will counterbalance whatever fate – good or bad – you happen to decide.

Ninmah took clay from the top of the abzu [ab: water; zu: far] in her hand and she fashioned from it first a man who could not bend his outstretched weak hands. Enki looked at the man who cannot bend his outstretched weak hands, and decreed his fate: he appointed him as a servant of the king. (Three men and one woman with atypical biology are formed and Enki gives each of them various forms of status to ensure respect for their uniqueness)

...Sixth, she fashioned one with neither penis nor vagina on its body. Enki looked at the one with neither penis nor vagina on its body and gave it the name Nibru (eunuch(?)), and decreed as its fate to stand before the king
Wiki/intersex.

The first sex change surgery was in Denmark in 1952, (Christine Jorgenson) so they are also not new. The vast majority of trans people are male or female in their identified gender and their biological sex, so they are not a new gender or sex.

It is never too late for you to come out of the closet, if you are hiding your true nature in there.

Back
Top Bottom