• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How does a single mother make it?

alphieb

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

I have kicked my husband out due to physical and mental abuse. When I was with him money was no object. He is an Attorney. I kicked him out two days ago. I am a Nurse, however I have two small children, 6 and 1....As a Nurse, you work evenings and nights until you reach seniority. I can't work those shifts as I have two small boys. I refuse to depend on him as any self respecting women would? I will endure hard times before I expose my boys to that. What do ya think?

Bummer! Bad news!

You may have kicked him out, but he is still obligated to provide support to you and the kids. Don't let him off the hook! Since he is an attorney, you may have to retain counsel yourself. You should not hesitate to do so in order to assert your rights. BY ALL MEANS, DO ASSERT YOUR RIGHTS!

Best of luck!

oldreliable67 said:
Bummer! Bad news!

You may have kicked him out, but he is still obligated to provide support to you and the kids. Don't let him off the hook! Since he is an attorney, you may have to retain counsel yourself. You should not hesitate to do so in order to assert your rights. BY ALL MEANS, DO ASSERT YOUR RIGHTS!

Best of luck!

I won't let him off the hook, but I will have to retain an Attorney out of town. I can't Even call the Clerk's office due to bias. They will not do anything.

Depending on him? Pffft, it's not depending on him - it's making the bastard pay. :mrgreen: Hope it all works out.

Originally posted by alphieb:
I have kicked my husband out due to physical and mental abuse. When I was with him money was no object. He is an Attorney. I kicked him out two days ago. I am a Nurse, however I have two small children, 6 and 1....As a Nurse, you work evenings and nights until you reach seniority. I can't work those shifts as I have two small boys. I refuse to depend on him as any self respecting women would? I will endure hard times before I expose my boys to that. What do ya think?
Can I apply for the job? I love nurses and hate lawyers.

Did you hear about the guy that stood up in a bar and said, "All lawyers are assholes!" Another guy stood up and replied, "Hey, I resent that!" The first guy goes, "Are you a lawyer?" and the second guy says, "No, I am asshole!"

alphieb said:

I agree with what everyone else has been saying. He needs to pay child support at the minimum. And for two attorney's kids that should be quite substantial. As for your job, try explaining the situation to your supervisor. People are pretty empathetic if you give them a chance.

[MOD MODE] Moved to OTD [/MOD MODE]

Originally posted by Kelzie:
I agree with what everyone else has been saying. He needs to pay child support at the minimum. And for two attorney's kids that should be quite substantial. As for your job, try explaining the situation to your supervisor. People are pretty empathetic if you give them a chance.
Don't listen to her alphieb. Kelzie left me at the alter with our 15 children before we ever had a chance to consumate the marriage. She called me names and I have never said a discouraging word to anyone. Anyone. Anyone. I'm Father Theresa dammit!

being that he is an attorney and has money any legal battle will be a tough one...

128shot said:
being that he is an attorney and has money any legal battle will be a tough one...

Unlikely. The family courts are usually sympathetic towards the mothers and if she gives evidence of physical and/or emotional abuse, it should be quite easy to get child support off of him with little, if any, custody awarded to the father.

vergiss said:
Unlikely. The family courts are usually sympathetic towards the mothers and if she gives evidence of physical and/or emotional abuse, it should be quite easy to get child support off of him with little, if any, custody awarded to the father.

I'll second that. My dad had a better lawyer and more money and my mom still took him to the cleaners.

Geeeeee, you knooowww, I wish I was born with a vagina, then I could get hired over a more qualified person simply because I have a vagina, marry a guy richer than me, take him to the cleaners and take his money as well as keep my own (because when you get married, half of everything between both of you goes to you, so if you are not quite as well off as your husband, you still can get more money than you would if you were single because the net worth of both earnings, automatically half is yours.). Gee, it must be nice to have a vagina. I can even get accepted to schools over more qualified guys and get sympathy from people simply because I have a vagina. I could talk my way out of tickets with a police officer even though I would deserve and anybody else would have gotten the ticket. Gee, wish I was born with a vagina. I would have it on easy street, have it made. Sure am glad I haven't married my girlfriend. I would review my legal options before I get married to be sure their is no way she can take me to the cleaners. That way, I can keep what I have worked for and she keeps what she worked for. And if I can find a way to avoid alimony, I will or I simply won't get married. Just live with her. No problems with accepting responsibility and paying child support but the rest is BS.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Timmyboy:
Geeeeee, you knooowww, I wish I was born with a vagina, then I could get hired over a more qualified person simply because I have a vagina, marry a guy richer than me, take him to the cleaners and take his money as well as keep my own (because when you get married, half of everything between both of you goes to you, so if you are not quite as well off as your husband, you still can get more money than you would if you were single because the net worth of both earnings, automatically half is yours.). Gee, it must be nice to have a vagina. I can even get accepted to schools over more qualified guys and get sympathy from people simply because I have a vagina. I could talk my way out of tickets with a police officer even though I would deserve and anybody else would have gotten the ticket. Gee, wish I was born with a vagina. I would have it on easy street, have it made. Sure am glad I haven't married my girlfriend. I would review my legal options before I get married to be sure their is no way she can take me to the cleaners. That way, I can keep what I have worked for and she keeps what she worked for. And if I can find a way to avoid alimony, I will or I simply won't get married. Just live with her. No problems with accepting responsibility and paying child support but the rest is BS.
Since your a guy, you have to accept the fact that you are going to work until you are dead. And there is a strong possibility that you too, will one day, have to pay vaginamony!

Good luck with your decision, I pray you and yours are making the right choice, as you only get one shot, live life well.;)

I can't address how to make it on your own, but a nurse can do well for him, or herself, I think you'll do just fine. I worry more about your mental state, not your financial one, good luck.

Billo_Really said:
Since your a guy, you have to accept the fact that you are going to work until you are dead. And there is a strong possibility that you too, will one day, have to pay vaginamony!

Heh, I am going to be smarter than that. I don't mind accepting what is legitimately my responsibility, but I don't agree with alimony payments or the fact that a woman can take half of everything no matter what. And really, I think a guy should have every right to know where every penny of child support goes that he pays. That's just my view and I don't mind taking full custody of my kids (I don't have kids and I am no rush to have them). But I don't mind female companionship, just have to be careful that if you marry, she signs some legally binding agreement where she cannot collect alimony or take half out of the net worth of everything. What she earns and recieves is hers, what I earn and receive is mine. I don't mind equal rights for women, just want to be smart enough to where I am not put into a position where I can be taken. If the woman doesn't like those stipulations then don't marry. Heck, it's fun being single and you can make all kinds of money being single. Female companionship is easy and you don't have to marry and put yourself in a position where you can be taken, to get it. Women can be very calculating and creul while you have done no wrong to them. It's not necessarily the nature of a woman as it is human nature.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Timmyboy:
Heh, I am going to be smarter than that. I don't mind accepting what is legitimately my responsibility, but I don't agree with alimony payments or the fact that a woman can take half of everything no matter what. And really, I think a guy should have every right to know where every penny of child support goes that he pays. That's just my view and I don't mind taking full custody of my kids (I don't have kids and I am no rush to have them). But I don't mind female companionship, just have to be careful that if you marry, she signs some legally binding agreement where she cannot collect alimony or take half out of the net worth of everything. What she earns and recieves is hers, what I earn and receive is mine. I don't mind equal rights for women, just want to be smart enough to where I am not put into a position where I can be taken. If the woman doesn't like those stipulations then don't marry. Heck, it's fun being single and you can make all kinds of money being single. Female companionship is easy and you don't have to marry and put yourself in a position where you can be taken, to get it. Women can be very calculating and creul while you have done no wrong to them. It's not necessarily the nature of a woman as it is human nature.
Do you want to know where your money is going? It's going to her new boyfriends drug habit before he goes back to prison. Because women dig dangerboy!

Nobody should be married more than four days a week anyway.

TimmyBoy said:

Now wait a minute here, you must be her husband......come on now, admit it, you're her disgruntled old man, are you not?:rofl

What an ass, how does this rant work it's way in to this thread?:roll: :confused:

Billo_Really said:
Do you want to know where your money is going? It's going to her new boyfriends drug habit before he goes back to prison. Because women dig dangerboy!

Nobody should be married more than four days a week anyway.

See, I know these things, hear people talking about these kinds of things all the time. Most guys, work hard and put themselves on the line for their woman and their kids and what does he get in return? He gets TAKEN. That's human nature. Women are more scornful and hateful than men. But men are capable of doing some evil things as well, I just think that women are more capable of evil than men. Sorry girls! Just my honest opinion. That's why, when you deal with a woman, no matter how nice and sweet she maybe, you still watch your back.

Deegan said:
Now wait a minute here, you must be her husband......come on now, admit it, you're her disgruntled old man, are you not?:rofl

What an ass, how does this rant work it's way in to this thread?:roll: :confused:

I couldn't help it. It was my dry sense of humor with some element of truth. Gee, I wish I was born with a vagina. See, in the real world when I give this speech I use the other word for vagina, but given this is a public forum, I'll be polite.

Deegan said:

Yeah I second that. Why a person would come onto a thread about a women's problems at home and bitch about women is beyond me. :roll: Got turned down one too many times if you ask me...

Originally Posted by TimmyBoy
See, I know these things, hear people talking about these kinds of things all the time. Most guys, work hard and put themselves on the line for their woman and their kids and what does he get in return? He gets TAKEN. That's human nature. Women are more scornful and hateful than men. But men are capable of doing some evil things as well, I just think that women are more capable of evil than men. Sorry girls! Just my honest opinion. That's why, when you deal with a woman, no matter how nice and sweet she maybe, you still watch your back.
Its a known fact:

"Women are evil, Men are stupid"

Originally Posted by TimmyBoy
Most men are stupid. Not all.
My girl loves me. You know how I know? Because she told me so!

TimmyBoy said:
I couldn't help it. It was my dry sense of humor with some element of truth. Gee, I wish I was born with a vagina. See, in the real world when I give this speech I use the other word for vagina, but given this is a public forum, I'll be polite.

I appreciate that, and thanks for clearing that up sir, I can call you sir again, that makes me happy, believe me when I say so.;)

Originally posted by Deegan:
I appreciate that, and thanks for clearing that up sir, I can call you sir again, that makes me happy, believe me when I say so.
What about me, Deege, you want to sir me too?

Back
Top Bottom