• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How does $66 advertised fare wind up being $246? Junk & Add-On Fees

Are Flight Charges a multiple of almost four times advertised fares:

• Fraud

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Accepable practice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JBG

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
My wife and I have a wedding to attend in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina over Mother' Day Weekend so we were excited that Breeze Airways (link) was advertising a $66 fare, one way, to Raleigh-Durham airport (RDU) from Westchester County Airport (HPN), about four miles from our house. When we worked our way through the website, the fare escalated to $246.00 each way, or $492 round trip. This included a $55 "technology fee," a "9/11 fee" a seat charge and taxes. Now, we knew we weren't getting into the air for $66, but the charge is more than 3.7 times the advertised fee.

We decided, whatever it is, to drive. Is this fraud, bait and switch, or acceptable business practice?

Yeah, it's a problem. The aggregators are getting better, generally, about advertising an actual price, but it's still frustrating. We priced flights to Denver on Frontier and if you want the advertised price, you can't guarantee a seat or take ANY luggage. No carry on, no nothing. We had to check one bag (we generally don't check anything, even internationally) and by the time the add ons were included, we could fly United, guaranteed seats, one bag, plus our normal carry ons, cheaper. So we went with that. Plus the problem with discounters is they have limited flights, so if something goes wrong, you're kind of screwed. When we retire that might be OK, but for now we can't stay an extra few days somewhere waiting on a seat, and we don't want to have to book on a major airline last minute and get hammered that way.

The discount airlines are helping though. They're struggling now because the big boys decided not to concede that discount market to them, and so are offering similar bare bones seats for competitive prices. I just have to remember when searching to choose the right service for us, which means at a minimum we can see then pick our seats, and two carry ons - for me a backpack plus small luggage that fits in the overhead.

My wife and I have a wedding to attend in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina over Mother' Day Weekend so we were excited that Breeze Airways (link) was advertising a $66 fare, one way, to Raleigh-Durham airport (RDU) from Westchester County Airport (HPN), about four miles from our house. When we worked our way through the website, the fare escalated to $246.00 each way, or $492 round trip. This included a $55 "technology fee," a "9/11 fee" a seat charge and taxes. Now, we knew we weren't getting into the air for $66, but the charge is more than 3.7 times the advertised fee.

We decided, whatever it is, to drive. Is this fraud, bait and switch, or acceptable business practice?
It's called "junk fees." They do it in part to fool customers, and in part to avoid a 7.5% excise tax. Mostly the former.

Biden has been hammering on this for a bit, and the FTC is planning to issue new rules regulating the practice. CPFB is working on blocking banks and credit cards from junk fees. Numerous airlines have already scaled back on the fake fees; Breeze simply isn't one of them. Caveat emptor.

Seems to be standard practice in all kinds of business these days. Whatever can get you to their site or get in contact with them for that 'deal', and then hope you'll still go ahead and give them your business after the price starts going up.

Like the $89 service call for your furnace or whatever. Sure... :rolleyes:
$89 to pull in the driveway.
We have a newer cleaning company around here that advertises on TV, "Book your first cleaning for only 19 dollars!'
Sure thing.. that's probably 19 to 'book it'. The actual cleaning is probably $200.

Sadly, this has become common practice. I travel a good bit and do a lot of overseas travel. Been searching for a trip for April-May and the prices are depressing. Found some good flights to several cities except for the add ons. One asked for $120 extra to pick my seat, another $500 to pick my seat. Both then stated I would also have to pay extra for a checked bag. With out paying the extra fee on one of those flights I didn't pick my seat, didn't get any free baggage not even a carry on, (did get a hand bag) and no meal. You'd think the one fee would cover both.
I'm sure jet fuel is outrageous but the add ons are ridiculous.
Have seen a couple of good flights from French Bee out of NYC and a few other cities. Both departure and destinations are limited. Of course I'd have to get myself to NYC, so that's extra.
Some years ago ( 2008 -2009) I got round trip tickets to London, 5 nights with hotel and breakfast for $368.00 for a couple. Only one local departure city near me and very limited dates available. I sent it around to lots of friends and besides my family going about a dozen friends took advantage as well. It was Virgin Atlantic Air Lines. No fees, no add ons. My wife said what are we going to do if we get to check in and it's a mistake. I said make sure you have your credit card. It was fine. Couple of years late one of my friends who went with us telling everyone about the fare and was accused of lying. I happen to be at the same function and was carrying my back pack and still had the tickets and boarding passes. Guy was stunned.
Those days are far gone I think.

Enjoy Breeze while you can, they are losing money at a horrific pace. I've been following them closely since they started, and they really are poorly run. They introduced a lot of flights in Phoenix, on some really thin routes (San Bernadino, Charleston, Richmond, Hartford, Provo), and they are already dropping all but Provo. They are like Frontier, they start a route that doesn't make sense, run it for a few months then drop it. They are getting rid of their smaller Embraer E190 planes and will be all Airbus A220 planes, which is a good plane, but too many seats for many markets. Spirit is also doing really badly financially, even worse now that the merger with JetBlue was called off last week (much to JetBlue's relief).

The pricing models of the Ultra Low Cost Carriers (ULCC) like Breeze, Allegiant, Frontier, Avelo, Sun Country and Spirit is to offer incredibly low fares, and then slam you with fees. Allegiant will charge you to make a reservation by phone or online the dreaded "technology fee" (if you schlepp down to the airport and wait in line, and make a reservation, you won't be charged). Some of the ULCC's will charge you more for an aisle seat, or a seat near the front of the plane. Also, the ULCC airlines don't always fly a full schedule 7 days a week, so if there is a cancelled flight, you might be out of luck for a few days, since most of them don't have interline agreements with other carriers.

So, what do you do? First of all, join the frequent flier program of any airline you are considering flying, they can offer perks like reduced charges or no charges, like going stand-by on an earlier flight. Next, if you can, sign up for the credit card of the airline you fly. I have an American Airlines card, I get frequent flier miles for every dollar spent, plus more if I book on AA, or eat at participating restaurants. With an airline credit card, you usually get a free checked bag on your flight, it adds up, even if the card has a fee. AA has a few cards, there is no fee for the first year, so, you could sign up for a card, and get a FF bonus miles (more if you spend a certain amount of $$ in the first few months), and, then before the fee comes up, get the other card and the FF Bonus. If you are on a flight, and they offer a credit card during the flight, it usually has extra bonus FF miles on it, and, if you sign up and get the card, that flight attendant will get a cash bonus.

The fees suck, but they aren't going away, as for the visibility of the charges, that has gotten better. I am obviously biased to the big airlines as I worked for the airline that eventually took over American, but there are advantages to flying on American, United, Delta, Southwest, you get much better frequent flier programs, credit cards, better schedules and interlining.

This ends my Ted talk on the airlines, thank you for reading.

Yeah, it's a problem. The aggregators are getting better, generally, about advertising an actual price, but it's still frustrating. We priced flights to Denver on Frontier and if you want the advertised price, you can't guarantee a seat or take ANY luggage. No carry on, no nothing. We had to check one bag (we generally don't check anything, even internationally) and by the time the add ons were included, we could fly United, guaranteed seats, one bag, plus our normal carry ons, cheaper. So we went with that. Plus the problem with discounters is they have limited flights, so if something goes wrong, you're kind of screwed. When we retire that might be OK, but for now we can't stay an extra few days somewhere waiting on a seat, and we don't want to have to book on a major airline last minute and get hammered that way.

The discount airlines are helping though. They're struggling now because the big boys decided not to concede that discount market to them, and so are offering similar bare bones seats for competitive prices. I just have to remember when searching to choose the right service for us, which means at a minimum we can see then pick our seats, and two carry ons - for me a backpack plus small luggage that fits in the overhead.
It's tough if you travel with kids. My wife and I travel and even overseas we can get away with carryon and back packs as the personal bag. Once in a while we check one large back depending on how low we are staying. I personally like getting on and off without a carry on. Too many people take up the spaces that don't belong to them and I end up cramming mine under the seat and takes up my leg room. I'm a fairly tall guy so I like my leg room. I remember when we used to checkin and ask for better seating and were usually able to move to bulkhead or exit row. Not anymore unless you want to pay for it.

Enjoy Breeze while you can, they are losing money at a horrific pace. I've been following them closely since they started, and they really are poorly run. They introduced a lot of flights in Phoenix, on some really thin routes (San Bernadino, Charleston, Richmond, Hartford, Provo), and they are already dropping all but Provo. They are like Frontier, they start a route that doesn't make sense, run it for a few months then drop it. They are getting rid of their smaller Embraer E190 planes and will be all Airbus A220 planes, which is a good plane, but too many seats for many markets. Spirit is also doing really badly financially, even worse now that the merger with JetBlue was called off last week (much to JetBlue's relief).

The pricing models of the Ultra Low Cost Carriers (ULCC) like Breeze, Allegiant, Frontier, Avelo, Sun Country and Spirit is to offer incredibly low fares, and then slam you with fees. Allegiant will charge you to make a reservation by phone or online the dreaded "technology fee" (if you schlepp down to the airport and wait in line, and make a reservation, you won't be charged). Some of the ULCC's will charge you more for an aisle seat, or a seat near the front of the plane. Also, the ULCC airlines don't always fly a full schedule 7 days a week, so if there is a cancelled flight, you might be out of luck for a few days, since most of them don't have interline agreements with other carriers.

So, what do you do? First of all, join the frequent flier program of any airline you are considering flying, they can offer perks like reduced charges or no charges, like going stand-by on an earlier flight. Next, if you can, sign up for the credit card of the airline you fly. I have an American Airlines card, I get frequent flier miles for every dollar spent, plus more if I book on AA, or eat at participating restaurants. With an airline credit card, you usually get a free checked bag on your flight, it adds up, even if the card has a fee. AA has a few cards, there is no fee for the first year, so, you could sign up for a card, and get a FF bonus miles (more if you spend a certain amount of $$ in the first few months), and, then before the fee comes up, get the other card and the FF Bonus. If you are on a flight, and they offer a credit card during the flight, it usually has extra bonus FF miles on it, and, if you sign up and get the card, that flight attendant will get a cash bonus.

The fees suck, but they aren't going away, as for the visibility of the charges, that has gotten better. I am obviously biased to the big airlines as I worked for the airline that eventually took over American, but there are advantages to flying on American, United, Delta, Southwest, you get much better frequent flier programs, credit cards, better schedules and interlining.

This ends my Ted talk on the airlines, thank you for reading.
:);)

We are flying to Dallas on Saturday, returning Sunday for a family party on my wife's side. We can fly for free as standby's as I am a retiree of the airline, but we are below the active employees on the priority list, and flying from hub to hub (PHX-DFW) is always a bitch and the flights are mostly overbooked, the ones that still had seats will fill up if there is any flight cancellation. We also get a 20% discount if we buy tix on American, but even that was really high (blame the leaving and returning dates, spring break, etc). My wife pulled up Frontier and found a really cheap fare, she was pretty excited about it, until she saw the final cost, and that she had to pay to enroll us in a Frontier program at an additional cost, to get the savings. So, I reluctantly dug into my frequent flier miles and used those, it took a big chunk out of what I had saved up, but, the good news is that, as a retiree of the airline, I will get 20% of those miles rebated back to my account. The moral of the story is: Happy Wife, Happy Life.

We are flying to Dallas on Saturday, returning Sunday for a family party on my wife's side. We can fly for free as standby's as I am a retiree of the airline, but we are below the active employees on the priority list, and flying from hub to hub (PHX-DFW) is always a bitch and the flights are mostly overbooked, the ones that still had seats will fill up if there is any flight cancellation. We also get a 20% discount if we buy tix on American, but even that was really high (blame the leaving and returning dates, spring break, etc). My wife pulled up Frontier and found a really cheap fare, she was pretty excited about it, until she saw the final cost, and that she had to pay to enroll us in a Frontier program at an additional cost, to get the savings. So, I reluctantly dug into my frequent flier miles and used those, it took a big chunk out of what I had saved up, but, the good news is that, as a retiree of the airline, I will get 20% of those miles rebated back to my account. The moral of the story is: Happy Wife, Happy Life.
I used to compare driving costs to flying costs and if the destination wasn't too far I'd drive. Harder to do that now. When gas hit $5+ it seems airlines had some deals for a while, now nobody does thanks to the Junk fees.

Sadly, this has become common practice. I travel a good bit and do a lot of overseas travel. Been searching for a trip for April-May and the prices are depressing. Found some good flights to several cities except for the add ons. One asked for $120 extra to pick my seat, another $500 to pick my seat. Both then stated I would also have to pay extra for a checked bag. With out paying the extra fee on one of those flights I didn't pick my seat, didn't get any free baggage not even a carry on, (did get a hand bag) and no meal. You'd think the one fee would cover both.
I'm sure jet fuel is outrageous but the add ons are ridiculous.
Have seen a couple of good flights from French Bee out of NYC and a few other cities. Both departure and destinations are limited. Of course I'd have to get myself to NYC, so that's extra.
Some years ago ( 2008 -2009) I got round trip tickets to London, 5 nights with hotel and breakfast for $368.00 for a couple. Only one local departure city near me and very limited dates available. I sent it around to lots of friends and besides my family going about a dozen friends took advantage as well. It was Virgin Atlantic Air Lines. No fees, no add ons. My wife said what are we going to do if we get to check in and it's a mistake. I said make sure you have your credit card. It was fine. Couple of years late one of my friends who went with us telling everyone about the fare and was accused of lying. I happen to be at the same function and was carrying my back pack and still had the tickets and boarding passes. Guy was stunned.
Those days are far gone I think.
French Bee is a very odd airline, they are very low cost, but they also have some of the worst seat pitch and seat width in the industry. The put a lot of people on their planes. They fly the excellent A350-900 and they jam 411 pax on it (35 in premium, 376 in economy) versus other A350-900 operators like British with 331 seats (56 Club World, 56 World Traveler, 219 economy) or Delta with 306 seats (32 Delta One, 48 Premium, 226 Economy).

I used to compare driving costs to flying costs and if the destination wasn't too far I'd drive. Harder to do that now. When gas hit $5+ it seems airlines had some deals for a while, now nobody does thanks to the Junk fees.
When we go to San Diego or Los Angeles, we usually drive, plus, we can bring our bikes. From time to time, we will go standby to San Diego for an overnight weekend trip. Back in the old days, I flew everywhere I could for free, I'd go to Oakland for a baseball game and fly back afterwards, many 3 day weekend trips to Hawaii for diving, a few 4-5 day weekend trips to Europe. I had my fun, we will be doing a lot of standby travel once we retire, no big deal if we get bumped...

That's really ridiculous. I was thinking of trying them from Stewart which is only 25 minutes from me. Good to know. I just booked flights to Louisville. Under $300 a ticket RT with insurance.

Is this fraud, bait and switch, or acceptable business practice?
Unfortunately, it's all three. Corporate power and lobbying prevents any kind of reasonable regulation on this kind of thing, especially in the US.

Acceptable business practice. They are a ultra low cost carrier which charges fees based on choices you make.

Seat charge if you want to choose your seat for example. You can always just pay more for a regular carrier where its all included. End result is the same.

Here's what's going on: There is a tax on your plane ticket. That tax is based on the price of the ticket. So . . . . they reduce the ticket price to incredibly low and then, add in all those other 'fees' which do not have taxes associated with them. Baggage fees, 9/11 fees, seat fees, etc. Those fees increase the profit margins by cutting out the taxman.

Here's what's going on: There is a tax on your plane ticket.
It's only a 7.5% excise tax. The tax on a $500 ticket will be less than $40 -- which is paid by the customer, not the airline.

That is not the main reason to hide 50-75% of the total ticket price from consumers.

Here's what's going on: There is a tax on your plane ticket. That tax is based on the price of the ticket. So . . . . they reduce the ticket price to incredibly low and then, add in all those other 'fees' which do not have taxes associated with them. Baggage fees, 9/11 fees, seat fees, etc. Those fees increase the profit margins by cutting out the taxman.

But also allow some people to get very low prices for not doing things that are included for 'free' from other carriers. The tech fee for example is for buying tickets on the site and getting digital qr codes and check ins and wifi etc. You can bypass it by going to the ticket counter and buying the ticket. You actually can get the super low advertised fee by jumping through hoops. But ultimately its a bait and switch, because they know people will bring a bag and have to pay for it. No real different than getting a FREE BURGER (when you buy one at regular exhorbitant price).

Its clever marketing.

Seems to be standard practice in all kinds of business these days. Whatever can get you to their site or get in contact with them for that 'deal', and then hope you'll still go ahead and give them your business after the price starts going up.

Like the $89 service call for your furnace or whatever. Sure... :rolleyes:
$89 to pull in the driveway.
We have a newer cleaning company around here that advertises on TV, "Book your first cleaning for only 19 dollars!'
Sure thing.. that's probably 19 to 'book it'. The actual cleaning is probably $200.
Most states consumer was prohibited “bait and switch” pricing. I think airlines are exempt from those laws.

That's really ridiculous. I was thinking of trying them from Stewart which is only 25 minutes from me. Good to know. I just booked flights to Louisville. Under $300 a ticket RT with insurance.
What airline?

Acceptable business practice. They are a ultra low cost carrier which charges fees based on choices you make.

Seat charge if you want to choose your seat for example. You can always just pay more for a regular carrier where its all included. End result is the same.
I think they make you pick your seat before they let you check out. Therefore, I don’t think skipping the seat charge is an option.

I think they make you pick your seat before they let you check out. Therefore, I don’t think skipping the seat charge is an option.

They dont. I checked. Its an option and they give you a price for each seat or you can skip it and theyll assign it.

I haven't flown in over 4 years and I don't care if I ever do again. I've been on the receiving end of the baggage fees scam before, and on international flights they really have you by the balls. You show up with suitcases loaded with souvenirs and you're basically ****ed.

Last trip by air I flew from DC to San Jose with a stop in Atlanta and both ways, it took a day for my legs, ass, and knees to recover. The way they cram you into planes these days, I feel like I can relate to sardines in a can, except for the being dead part, and toward the end of that experienced, I envied the dead.

I haven't flown in over 4 years and I don't care if I ever do again. I've been on the receiving end of the baggage fees scam before, and on international flights they really have you by the balls. You show up with suitcases loaded with souvenirs and you're basically ****ed.

Last trip by air I flew from DC to San Jose with a stop in Atlanta and both ways, it took a day for my legs, ass, and knees to recover. The way they cram you into planes these days, I feel like I can relate to sardines in a can, except for the being dead part, and toward the end of that experienced, I envied the dead.

I would literally fly in a pressure suit duct taped to the outside of the fuselage before I would set foot in that cesspool known as third class.

Back
Top Bottom