• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Do We Define Smart?

Moderator's Warning:
Moved to Partisan Politics.

From the link:

They're literally prejudiced, they're closed-minded because they are arrogant superiorists

Here, Rush gave a great description of many conservatives.

From the link:

Here, Rush gave a great description of many conservatives.

I hate to have to tell you this, but Rush was talking about liberals, aka "progressives."

This is actually a good description of Ideologues from either end of the spectrum.

Both do exist

But it is easier to be a close minded liberal/progressive than a close minded conservative

Thanks to the massive mainstreamed media, Hollywood, and academia many liberals may go for months if not years without ever being exposed to the conservative viewpoint

But conservatives are assaulted by the liberal message every day everywhere they turn

I hate to have to tell you this, but Rush was talking about liberals, aka "progressives."

Rush was incorrect. His quote described many conservatives to a tee.

This is actually a good description of Ideologues from either end of the spectrum.

Agree 100%. Folks who disagree with your statement can be easily classified as hacks and fit into Rush's description.

Not getting into Rush - not my taste and not going there - but to the question in the thread title, I'd say there are two kinds of smart - there's book smart and there's street smart, each with their own set of aptitudes. I think we can all point to people in our lives who were very good in school and in scholastic endeavors and yet couldn't figure out how to cook pasta. We also can point to people who were terrible in school, always in trouble or getting bad grades, yet went on to start successful businesses or start off low and rise to heights in their careers.

It takes a special person to be both book smart and street smart and those people can be classified as exceptional and brilliant.

Rush was incorrect. His quote described many conservatives to a tee.

I refer you back to post 6.

There are some close minded conservatives because that trait is part of human nature.

But as I explained to you it is easier to hide from reality in lib la la land than conservativeville

And among Tweeners who hate everybody because they think they are smarter the problem is epidemic.

Not getting into Rush - not my taste and not going there - but to the question in the thread title, I'd say there are two kinds of smart - there's book smart and there's street smart, each with their own set of aptitudes. I think we can all point to people in our lives who were very good in school and in scholastic endeavors and yet couldn't figure out how to cook pasta. We also can point to people who were terrible in school, always in trouble or getting bad grades, yet went on to start successful businesses or start off low and rise to heights in their careers.

It takes a special person to be both book smart and street smart and those people can be classified as exceptional and brilliant.

The highly overeducated can often be the most clueless about subjected beyond their soeciality which is what limbaugh is talking about

Some people may know all there is to know about splitting the atom

Because they sre very smart and have studied the subject intensely

So intensely that they dont know anything else

Including how to get a date or what to say or do if they did.

But more importantly than a lack of social skills with the opposite sex is their total lack of knowledge of everyday tasks such as dealing with lying leftwing professors and politicians.

Naturally this is not a blanket condemnation of the highly educated.

some libs do have a clue and some conservatives do not

Again that just human nature

The highly overeducated can often be the most clueless about subjected beyond their soeciality which is what limbaugh is talking about

Some people may know all there is to know about splitting the atom

Because they sre very smart and have studied the subject intensely

So intensely that they dont know anything else

Including how to get a date or what to say or do if they did.

But more importantly than a lack of social skills with the opposite sex is their total lack of knowledge of everyday tasks such as dealing with lying leftwing professors and politicians.

Naturally this is not a blanket condemnation of the highly educated.

some libs do have a clue and some conservatives do not

Again that just human nature

Personally, I don't think all questions need to be highly politicized, and this is one that doesn't need to be, although the OP does refer to Rush Limbaugh's take on the topic.

Educational intellect/aptitude and quickness on your feet - the two types of "smart" I was referring to, aren't the domain of or exclusive to any particular ideology or partisan bent. It's just how people are wired. I could name any number of highly educated and well read conservatives as well as any number of poorly educated yet life savvy liberals to disprove your assertion, but I'm sure you already know that, so nothing would be gained.

Both do exist

But it is easier to be a close minded liberal/progressive than a close minded conservative

Thanks to the massive mainstreamed media, Hollywood, and academia many liberals may go for months if not years without ever being exposed to the conservative viewpoint

But conservatives are assaulted by the liberal message every day everywhere they turn

It is funny, isn't it?

People with conservative views like to be amused by the foibles of the liberal crowd and then step in when the foolishness gets out of hand. I think they accept conservative opinion as the best way to take care of themselves and those they love.

People with liberal views seem to love to spread the good news and enlighten those around them. I think they accept liberal opinion as enlightened truth.

Were there riots in the street after either Obama election? How much property damage was recorded as a result of the riots if there were any? Was there wide spread criticism of the snail pace progress of the Obama Administration in the transition in 2008?

Could be just me on this one: Was the height of bufoonery well demonstrated by the podium with the sign that resembled the Presidential Seal that created for him the Office of the President Elect of the United States?

Has Trump engaged in this kind of idiocy or is he just working?

It is funny, isn't it?

People with conservative views like to be amused by the foibles of the liberal crowd and then step in when the foolishness gets out of hand. I think they accept conservative opinion as the best way to take care of themselves and those they love.

People with liberal views seem to love to spread the good news and enlighten those around them. I think they accept liberal opinion as enlightened truth.

Were there riots in the street after either Obama election? How much property damage was recorded as a result of the riots if there were any? Was there wide spread criticism of the snail pace progress of the Obama Administration in the transition in 2008?

Could be just me on this one: Was the height of bufoonery well demonstrated by the podium with the sign that resembled the Presidential Seal that created for him the Office of the President Elect of the United States?

Has Trump engaged in this kind of idiocy or is he just working?

Allegedly colorblind liberals were bursting with pride over the first black president and they and he could not help themselves

Personally, I don't think all questions need to be highly politicized, and this is one that doesn't need to be, although the OP does refer to Rush Limbaugh's take on the topic.

Educational intellect/aptitude and quickness on your feet - the two types of "smart" I was referring to, aren't the domain of or exclusive to any particular ideology or partisan bent. It's just how people are wired. I could name any number of highly educated and well read conservatives as well as any number of poorly educated yet life savvy liberals to disprove your assertion, but I'm sure you already know that, so nothing would be gained.

We have a very divided society where eveything is politicized by the left.

Conservatives less so but we have been forced to play the game also or get run over by the libs

Allegedly colorblind liberals were bursting with pride over the first black president and they and he could not help themselves

I am amused by many things. One of them is our individual and group blindness as regards self inspection. I think the irony you point out in the reaction of the "colorblind Liberals" is a part of this.

Another is the exposure of Bullies. In this case, I'm thinking of Alec Baldwin and his participation in the SNL skits in the run up to the election.

His portrayal of Trump on SNL was a pretty good one, but seemed to be more mean, intentionally so, than previous SNL presidents. Other portrayals on SNL of Republican candidates over the years were also pretty good, but did not seem to be acted so harshly.

I was looking forward to SNL's follow ups on the episode after the election and Baldwin (and his portrayal of Trump) was not present. Also, the skits showing the comedy of failed expectations was absent. For me this was disappointing.

I think there was a wealth of comedy potential in the upset win and the shock in the liberal community. Alas, the acceptance of the liberal elite did allow this. Perhaps, in this case, their broad minds were not so broad. Is it possible that their minds are actually quite narrow?

Who was the bully that was revealed? Several in fact. The entertainment industry, the cast and writers and editors of SNL, the liberal elite and the community of network folks who aim the message at the expected audience.

SNL responded to the election as a woman widowed in war time would respond. Wailing disbelief and then denial. Anger is on the way and is arriving in the streets and burning store fronts of our cities. Acceptance, in the case of the liberals, will never come.

Is there a 12-Step program they might join?

Conservatives less so but we have been forced to play the game also or get run over by the libs

I appreciate that, particularly on a site like this where politics infuses everything. I was just trying to provide a neutral observation, for what it's worth.

I refer you back to post 6.

There are some close minded conservatives because that trait is part of human nature.

But as I explained to you it is easier to hide from reality in lib la la land than conservativeville

And among Tweeners who hate everybody because they think they are smarter the problem is epidemic.

I would agree that the closed-mindedness of conservatives is harder to hide than that of liberals.

Nah, the divided society has been created by the right. Lefties are the ones who are forced to play that game in order to deal with them.

I would agree that the closed-mindedness of conservatives is harder to hide than that of liberals.

Some liberals - you for instance - need more work on their camoflauge than others do

Some liberals - you for instance - need more work on their camoflauge than others do

Some conservatives, you for instance, need to learn to remove your partisan blinders.

Some conservatives, you for instance, need to learn to remove your partisan blinders.

Merely calling yourself "undisclosed" does not hide your liberal partisanship

Merely calling yourself "undisclosed" does not hide your liberal partisanship

Your comment does nothing to address what I said. Not surprisingly.

Oh I see your liberal point of view clearly

I just dont agree with it

Interesting. The point that I made was not a liberal one in any way.

Back
Top Bottom