• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How did the USA win the cold war???

Comrade Brian said:
Yes many Americans think they won the cold war, but there were way too many factors to say one thing did it.

Americans are often ignorant of this fact because I've noticed a lot of media saying it too.

I hate these crappy "americans are ignorant" thing.

sure we think we won the cold war, and France thinks it invented the internet. No culture is perfect for one thing.

I honestly think its annoying, as an American, who believes in opening ones mind is the only path to success.

I shall now take a deep breathe

Comrade Brian said:
I said many, not all!

I know.

I think you find the same ignorance we have in all cultures. It depends on what ignorance suits your taste.

Comrade Brian said:
Yes, everyone is ignorant to some degree.

its only rational IMO. We'd go crazy if we strived to know every damn little thing.

128shot said:
We'd go crazy if we strived to know every damn little thing.

I do, maybe thats why I'm probably crazy, or at least most people think I am somewhat.

There is so much to this topic its rediculous becasue it span for decades and there was literally so much that inflicted the causes and effects of the outcome of the cold war.

The main points why we won is becasue our defense programs, our prevailment of the Cuban missle crisis, the soviets poor military budget, the soviets problems with internal affairs, the soviets poor outakes in the afghan war, and their lack of pursuit as regime changes occurred. However, there is alot more to it but those are the main points.

In the hieght of the soviet power they were able to take out our whole air force in 17days and then begin an all out invasion on america however that invasion would be very long andhard and the soviets new they would never win a war like that. In our case since we concentrated most of our spending on defense systems the Soviets would never be able to fully tke over the US. And our gov figured the soviets would topple themselves during the effort due to budgetting and will in about 2yrs after they take out all of our offensives and defensives.

SKILMATIC said:
There is so much to this topic its rediculous becasue it span for decades and there was literally so much that inflicted the causes and effects of the outcome of the cold war.

The main points why we won is becasue our defense programs, our prevailment of the Cuban missle crisis, the soviets poor military budget, the soviets problems with internal affairs, the soviets poor outakes in the afghan war, and their lack of pursuit as regime changes occurred. However, there is alot more to it but those are the main points.

In the hieght of the soviet power they were able to take out our whole air force in 17days and then begin an all out invasion on america however that invasion would be very long andhard and the soviets new they would never win a war like that. In our case since we concentrated most of our spending on defense systems the Soviets would never be able to fully tke over the US. And our gov figured the soviets would topple themselves during the effort due to budgetting and will in about 2yrs after they take out all of our offensives and defensives.
Yeah those peski commies felt so intimidated in the end Gorbi decided to become Reagan's lap dog because being down to his last 12,000 nuclear missiles mean't he could only have destroyed the USA fifty times over compaired to the US who were capable of destroying Russia fifty two times over.
Hats off to Ronnie for winning the cold war.
Thank God Nancy's astrologer told him the right things to do & finally I'd like to say... God bless Urmerica :roll:

Last edited:
robin said:
Yeah those peski commies felt so intimidated in the end Gorbi decided to become Reagan's lap dog because being down to his last 12,000 nuclear missiles mean't he could only have destroyed the USA fifty times over compaired to the US who were capable of destroying Russia fifty two times over.
Thank God Nancy's astrologer told him the right things to do & finally I'd like to say... God bless Urmerica :roll:

Yes...yes...yes...We've all heard it before..."Down with America"..."Up with bad teeth and Oompa Loompa slavery." Your hypocritical fondness to point out American mistakes, errors, and dirty laundry is entertaining.:roll:

The Cold War was a war of attrition on so many levels over the decades. The Soviet Union and America competed on Battle fronts, on economics and on technologies. We won..they lost.

Last edited:
GySgt said:
Yes...yes...yes...We've all heard it before..."Down with America"..."Up with bad teeth and Oompa Loompa slavery.":roll:

The Cold War was a war of attrition on so many levels over the decades. The Soviet Union and America competed on Battle fronts and on economics. We competed with technology. We won..they lost.
How is it that the USA is the cause of Gorbi bringing in sweeping forms rather than him bringing them so as to overcome the inherent weekness in communist economies then ?
I mean it was communism that made them poor, not the USA, so how can you take credit for Gorbi's reforms & the subsequent end of the cold war ?
If that's not down to Gorbi then I don't know what is !
Please stop kidding yourselves. What is it about Americans :roll:

robin said:
How is it that the USA is the cause of Gorbi bringing in sweeping forms rather than him bringing them so as to overcome the inherent weekness in communist economies then ?
I mean it was communism that made them poor, not the USA, so how can you take credit for Gorbi's reforms & the subsequent end of the cold war ?
If that's not down to Gorbi then I don't know what is !
Please stop kidding yourselves. What is it about Americans :roll:

Even before Gorbachov, the Soviet Union was in trouble.

The Reagan presidency of 1981-89 changed the face of the world. The American-led alliance won the cold war, a potentially even bloodier confrontation than the first world war's murderous clash of European nationalisms and the second world war's six-year struggle against would-be Superman Hitler and his friends. By defeating communism, Ronald Reagan ended one of history's most violent centuries and opened the door to the possibility that for at least a few decades ahead war, though it can never be abolished, would be a smaller horror than in the past, and democracy might become available to more of the people who wanted it. In his foreign policy, at any rate, he turned out to be one of the two or three most effective American presidents of the 20th century.

From the moment he took office, he made it clear what he believed: that America stood for a good idea, the Soviet Union for a bad one; that the notion of a balance of power between them—“mutually assured destruction”—was thus morally wrong; and that the Russians' bulging military muscle had no real economic power behind it. Therefore he decided to pour money into America's armed forces, and (pace the Greenham Common ladies) put medium-range nuclear missiles into Europe; that way, Europe's defence would not need an American intercontinental strike. If a rearmed America stood nose-to-nose with its adversary, and firmly but politely refused to budge, he reckoned it would win the day. He was right. By the year Reagan left the White House, the Russians had lost eastern Europe; by the next year, they had abandoned communism.

http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?Story_ID=2747709

"What is it about Americans" - We're better. Even our flag looks better...see? :2usflag: "FREE THE OOMPA LOOMPAS!"

GySgt said:
Even before Gorbachov, the Soviet Union was in trouble. QUOTE]Duhh um uh, I think we know that & besides what bearing does that have on the fact that it was Gorbi that brought in the reforms ?

Trying to argue Reagan's hawkish stance brought an end to the cold war is utter BS. He nearly ****ing started WWIII with his big cretinous mouth.
'A caveman' is Gorbi thought he was when he met him :)

There had been emnity between East & west & hawks on both sides for many decades.

Q) So what was new in the eighties then to change things ?
A) No more soviet hawks like Krushchov, Breshnev & Andropov.

Q)Who instead ?
A) Gorbi.
He was character who brought about big chance.
Not Reagan.. hawkish Cretins like him are two a penny & have been around since time immemorial. Reagan was nothing new. I'd put Reagun in the same category as Brechnev & Krushchov except he had less brains than them.
Charismatic idiot.

Last edited:
robin said:
Duhh um uh, I think we know that & besides what bearing does that have on the fact that it was Gorbi that brought in the reforms ?

Trying to argue Reagan's hawkish stance brought an end to the cold war is bollocks. He nearly ****ing started WWIII with his big cretinous mouth. 'A caveman' Gorbi thought he was when he met him :)

There had been emnity between East & west & hawks on both sides for many decades.

Q)Who instead ?
A) Gorbi. He was character who brought about big chance.
Not Reagan.. hawkish Cretins like him are two a penny & have been around since time immemorial. Reagan was nothing new. I'd put Reagun in the same category as Brechnev & Krushchov except he had less brains.

Well, I'll choose to believe how history and reality is written and you can believe anything that might allow you to bash America and strip away credit (We're used to Europe's need for that.) Only two Presidents in recent years have been bold enough to seek a necessary change on a massive scale for a more peaceful secure future - Reagan and Bush. Cretinous or not, his mouth identified a problem and he commenced to address it head on rather than to continue the status quo.

By the way..my neighbor has a better house. I think I'm going to hate him and his house and point out every crack to make myself feel better.:roll:

Last edited:
GySgt said:
robin said:
Well, I'll choose to believe how history and reality is written and you can believe anything that might allow you to bash America. Only two Presidents in recent years have been bold enough to seek a necessary change on a massive scale for a more peaceful secure future - Reagan and Bush. Cretinous or not, his mouth identified a problem and he commenced to address it head on rather than to continue the status quo.

By the way..my neighbor has a better house. I think I'm going to hate him and his house and point out every crack to make myself feel better.:roll:
Address it head on !!!!
How many times do I have to say reagan could mouth off all he liked. The Soviets had enough missiles, thousands in fact, enough to destroy you dozens of times over & vica versa, so I think what was needed for sake of avoidance of WWIII, was two wise men.
Not one intellectual & wise one (Gorbi) & the other one a big macho mouthed hawkish fool making childish inflamitory remarks. He should have stuck with B movies & the ranch !

Last edited:
robin said:
Address it head on !!!!
How many times do I have to say reagan could mouth off all he liked. The Soviets had enough missiles, thousands in fact, enough to destroy you dozens of times over & vica versa, so I think what was needed for sake of avoidance of WWIII, was two wise men. Not one itellectual & wise one (Gorbi) & the other one a big macho mouthed hawkish fool making childish inflamitory remarks. He should have stuck with B movies & the ranch !

Yes....the Soviet Union has stood the tests of time thanks to the "wisdom" of Gorbachov and his reforms. The Berlin Wall came down thanks to the "intellect" of Gorbachov.:roll:

Aren't you the same individual that said that the victory in Europe in WWII wasn't as a result of America getting involved? Something like, it would have been won anyway? Same story, different war, same old bashing. You're hate is glaring through your posts. Careful...that leads to the Dark side.

Last edited:
robin said:
GySgt said:
Address it head on !!!!
How many times do I have to say reagan could mouth off all he liked. The Soviets had enough missiles, thousands in fact, enough to destroy you dozens of times over & vica versa,
That the US forced the USSR to build these missiles and all of the conventional forces supporting them, the USSR fell when it did.

That's not -all- because of Reagan, but it IS all because of the US.

Not one intellectual & wise one (Gorbi)
So smart and wise that his country completely collapsed.

M14 Shooter said:
robin said:
That the US forced the USSR to build these missiles and all of the conventional forces supporting them, the USSR fell when it did.

That's not -all- because of Reagan, but it IS all because of the US.

So smart and wise that his country completely collapsed.

'Twas my sense of reality as well.

robin said:
GySgt said:
Even before Gorbachov, the Soviet Union was in trouble. QUOTE]Duhh um uh, I think we know that & besides what bearing does that have on the fact that it was Gorbi that brought in the reforms ?

Trying to argue Reagan's hawkish stance brought an end to the cold war is utter BS. He nearly ****ing started WWIII with his big cretinous mouth.
'A caveman' is Gorbi thought he was when he met him :)

Q)Who instead ?
A) Gorbi.
He was character who brought about big chance.
Not Reagan.. hawkish Cretins like him are two a penny & have been around since time immemorial. Reagan was nothing new. I'd put Reagun in the same category as Brechnev & Krushchov except he had less brains than them.
Charismatic idiot.

I have to disagree Robin. Gorbi was a hawk up until the point that his economy could no longer keep pace with the US military buildup. The US economy and the build up forced Gorbi to the negotiating table. But if you look and see beforehand, Gorbi talked tough to the US and was indeed a hawk, no peacemaker. Gorbi was made out to be a peacemaker when in fact he was only somebody who was forced to the negotiating table by Reagans massive military build up and SDI. The summit in Iceland's was Gorbi's attempt to trick Reagan into giving up SDI.

robin said:

Actually there are many nations now with a nuclear strike ability that can reek havoc. However, its not how much havoc you can reek but how much you can without attaining any loses or havoc of your own. The Russians much like the Americans knew that there was no way that any nation could prevail over each other. This is why we ended up winning becasue we had a better economy.

However, now becasue we have come much further than the russians. Our economy is much better than theirs; we have a stable infrastructure and government. Also our military budget is about 10x the amount of the russians. And not to mention we are the only country with stealth technology. If we were to get into an all out war with the russians today we would be able to obliterate Russian in about a month and we would sustain very few casualties.

robin said:
GySgt said:
Address it head on !!!!
How many times do I have to say reagan could mouth off all he liked. The Soviets had enough missiles, thousands in fact, enough to destroy you dozens of times over & vica versa, so I think what was needed for sake of avoidance of WWIII, was two wise men.
Not one intellectual & wise one (Gorbi) & the other one a big macho mouthed hawkish fool making childish inflamitory remarks. He should have stuck with B movies & the ranch !

That may be but look at us now. If Russia decided to get into an all out war with the US then that would be the biggest mistake anyone or country would make in the history of mankind.

Again your whine baby tactics hold no credibility whatsoever. I know you envy me and gunny for what we have but you dont need to make yourself look like an a$$hole becasue of it. What you should be doing is respecting us for what we serve and protect. You see without individuals like me and gunny. The commies would overrun you. And then becasue of your pompous remarks and illegitamate mouth they would torture you to death becasue of it and then you wouldnt be able to whine like you do today. So why dont you just bow down to me and gunny and then kiss our M4A1. Because I would much rather prefer you give credit where credit is due.

GySgt said:
Yes....the Soviet Union has stood the tests of time thanks to the "wisdom" of Gorbachov and his reforms. The Berlin Wall came down thanks to the "intellect" of Gorbachov.:roll:

Aren't you the same individual that said that the victory in Europe in WWII wasn't as a result of America getting involved? Something like, it would have been won anyway? Same story, different war, same old bashing. You're hate is glaring through your posts. Careful...that leads to the Dark side.
"Aren't you the same individual that said that the victory in Europe in WWII wasn't as a result of America getting involved?" No.

America didn't bring about the end of the cold war. US didn't win the cold war. It still has the absurdly high level of arms dept & spending as before, thanks to arms companies lobbying in the Pentagon for excessive spending on defense & in favour of the Iraq war, so US hasn't reaped the rewards it could have from the end of cold war. In fact you lost an ally against Islam.
The victor is supposed to reap rewards aren't they ?
All you got out of it was your old anti Soviet allys, the Taliban, turning on you instead.
Why... because Bush Snr or Reagan, ignored Gorbi's suggestion that Afganistan be jointly policed by Russia & USA because Gorbi could see the area as a future source of trouble.

"His economy could no longer keep pace with US military build up"
I don't think that's the case is it ?
More like it couldn't feed itself because of centralisation & loss of incentives due to communism. Thus the incentive for Gorbi's reforms were there, regardless of Reagan. So stop harping on about reagan bringing all this wonderful change & ending the cold war.
Still there was no way the USA could ever make itself safe from the USSR. If you read on you will see the USSR was hardly crumpling at the knees militarily as reagan saw for himself........

"Reagan noted the depth of Soviet economic stagnation. "The dimensions of this failure are astounding," he said. "A country which employs one-fifth of its population in agriculture is unable to feed its own people. . . . Overcentralized, with little or no incentives, year after year the Soviet system pours its best resources into the making of instruments of destruction."

The Westminster speech, one of the most important of Reagan's presidency, was denounced by the Soviet authorities. But what Reagan had described was no secret to some Communist Party officials. One of them was Gorbachev, then a high-ranking party official, who recalled in his memoir that he was familiar with the "disastrous picture" of Soviet agriculture -- millions of acres wasted, villages abandoned, soils ruined by pollution.

Gorbachev's swift ascension on March 11, 1985, was a critical moment on the road to the end of the Cold War. Accounts of the Politburo deliberations suggest that the chief reasons Gorbachev was chosen were a desire for generational change and the press of Soviet internal problems. But the choice was also made at a time when some Politburo members were worried about the country's stagnation, especially in comparison to the West. A CIA analysis concluded that the Soviets did not have a single scientific supercomputer, that their technology lagged the United States by 10 years and that the best Soviet scientific computers were slower than their Western counterparts by a factor of 20.

As Gorbachev's ally Eduard Shevardnadze said, "Everything had gone rotten."

The Soviet Union was still, however, a nuclear-armed superpower, and it was in nuclear weapons that Reagan and Gorbachev then took important steps toward ending the Cold War.

Events accelerated when Gorbachev took office. In 1986, Reagan and Gorbachev met at Reykjavik, Iceland, for a summit at which they discussed eliminating all nuclear weapons. The goal eluded them as Reagan refused to slow research on the ballistic missile defense system. But the summit paved the way for the 1987 treaty on intermediate-range nuclear force missiles, the first to actually eliminate a class of nuclear weapons, and a later treaty that limited strategic arms.

In his first term, Reagan took part in a secret exercise that may have influenced his later pursuit of arms reductions with Gorbachev. The exercise, said former aide Thomas C. Reed, simulated a nuclear attack and how the president would make decisions. Reagan watched a screen in the White House situation room showing red dots where Soviet missiles would strike. The first one annihilated Washington.

"Before the president could sip his coffee, the map was a sea of red," Reed recalled. "In less than an hour, President Reagan had seen the United States of America disappear."

Now tell me Reagan ended the cold war... Utter nonsense. The end of the cold war came about because of a whole complex set of circumstances. Not least of all the need for reforms, regardless of the USA.
Makes me laugh the way Reagan went on at Reykjavic about.. 'If there are less & less missiles then star wars isn't needed.' Yet he scuppered the talks by his insistance on keeping them !

The title of this topic... "How did the USA end the cold war" serves as testament to the arrogance of the kind of American that thinks it was America that ended the cold war.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom