• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How about a law that makes it a crime (treason perhaps) to question the outcome of duly administered elections?

Shrink726

The tolerant left? I'm the intolerant left.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Because, in essence, to do so is an attempt to subvert our very system of governance.

To preserve reasonable free speech rights there would have to be a governmental authority that would investigate (and prosecute, if required) any specific claims of fraud or malfeasance, but if their determination is that there has been none, then any claims of this thereafter shall be viewed as a direct attempt to subvert the government of the United States with the appropriate criminal penalties to follow any such seditious claims.

This is, in my mind, no different than screaming "fire" in a crowded theater. For those who doubt this, I'd point them towards January 6th, 2021.

Because, in essence, to do so is an attempt to subvert our very system of governance.

To preserve reasonable free speech rights there would have to be a governmental authority that would investigate (and prosecute, if required) any specific claims of fraud or malfeasance, but if their determination is that there has been none, then any claims of this thereafter shall be viewed as a direct attempt to subvert the government of the United States with the appropriate criminal penalties to follow any such seditious claims.

This is, in my mind, no different than screaming "fire" in a crowded theater. For those who doubt this, I'd point them towards January 6th, 2021.
Questioning our government is "in essence... an attempt to subvert our very system of governance???"

Please, tell us this is a joke.

Would violate the 1st amendment... I vote no...

So demanding a recount would be a crime now?
If there was reasonable evidence of such a need (to be determined ONLY by the governmental agency set up to look into such concerns) then sure. But there has never, ever, been evidence of any significant fraud in any election in the United States.

Questioning if you have substantive evidence is no problem and should be ENCOURAGED.

Questioning under false pretense or with false evidence is TREASON, not just the already existing "false allegation".

I would prefer instead to have a federal SLAPP statute... Make it very expensive to file bullshit lawsuits...

Questioning under false pretense or with false evidence is TREASON, not just the already existing "false allegation".
This is a perfect example of why the meaning of words is so important.

What's apparent here, and with the OP is that Democrats are getting tired of having their elections questioned and they want all such questioning to stop - under the threat of making it not only illegal, but treasonous if people don't.

(and they have the temerity to accuse anyone right of them of being fascist and dictatorial)

No thx. The problem here is repeatedly insisting an election was fraudulent and affirmatively trying to install the loser in office without any evidence

To those who find my suggestion extreme, please be aware of just how friggin' stupid about 35% of the American public is. They appear to be incapable of even the most basic of critical thinking skills, or, in fact, thinking at all. All it seems to take to convince them of anything is some fat, orange blowhard to tell them 2+2=5. If we could count on the average American to roundly dismiss such nonsense there would be no need for anything further.

But the level of gullibility and plain stupidity of far too many Americans suggests that something more than appeals to logic need to be put in place.

If mass fraud is possible it happened. It is not treason to point that out. It is absolutely the political speech protected by the first ammendment.

No thx. The problem here is repeatedly insisting an election was fraudulent and affirmatively trying to install the loser in office without any evidence
Yes, that is the problem and those idiotic, specious claims almost ended our system of governance on January 6th.
We need criminal penalties for knowingly and wantonly making claims like this without compelling evidence.

If mass fraud is possible it happened. It is not treason to point that out. It is absolutely the political speech protected by the first ammendment.
No such thing occurred and it never has in our entire history as a democratic republic.

You have no right to make such a claim absent compelling evidence. And there is none.

What's apparent here, and with the OP is that Democrats are getting tired of having their elections questioned and they want all such questioning to stop - under the threat of making it not only illegal, but treasonous if people don't.

(and they have the temerity to accuse anyone right of them of being fascist and dictatorial)
AMEN

To those who find my suggestion extreme, please be aware of just how friggin' stupid about 35% of the American public is. They appear to be incapable of even the most basic of critical thinking skills, or, in fact, thinking at all. All it seems to take to convince them of anything is some fat, orange blowhard to tell them 2+2=5. If we could count on the average American to roundly dismiss such nonsense there would be no need for anything further.

But the level of gullibility and plain stupidity of far too many Americans suggests that something more than appeals to logic need to be put in place.
You can't legislate common sense. The MAGA's are losing steam. I think you can relax a little, if the Pink Ripple is any indicator.

I would much rather have federal voter registration and federal election infrastructure and voting laws.

So let's make this fraud much tougher to commit by having federal voter registration and federal voting infrastructure and regulations. Make it consistent across the country with steep penalties for fraud and interference.

I like the idea.

That's the point of certifying an election. Once it is certified it is certified. Done deal. Move on.

Claiming the certification is in error is undermining the basis of democracy, chipping away at the foundation of American government and the Constitution. It is not protecting and defending the Constitution. It is attacking it.

No.

That flies in the face of the basis for freedom of speech.

So demanding a recount would be a crime now?
Not within the period between the election and the certification.

There is a time for this. After all the objections have been addressed it is then time to move on.

Yes, that is the problem and those idiotic, specious claims almost ended our system of governance on January 6th.
We need criminal penalties for knowingly and wantonly making claims like this without compelling evidence.
People walk around daily claiming SO much random, incorrect stuff.

They can SAY whatever they want. That’s protected by the 1st.

If anyone takes ACTIONS, such as Jan 6th when they breached the Capitol, THEN it becomes a crime.

Even chanting and protesting on the lawn wasn’t a crime - as distasteful and disgusting as it was to have a gallow there.

That’s part of what sets the US apart from other countries.

Back
Top Bottom