• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House GOP eyes repeal of Dems' drug pricing law

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
What a surprise. If the GOP takes Congress, they'll seek to eliminate Medicare's ability to negotiate prescription drug prices, throw out the limits on drug price increases, and remove the cap on seniors' out-of-pocket drug costs.

Last I checked, those were all pretty popular policies, so the GOP uniformly voting against them and now vowing to repeal them is an interesting strategy.

Some key House Republicans are calling for the repeal of Democrats' newly-passed drug pricing measure if the GOP flips control of one or both chambers of Congress next year.

Why it matters: The comments show Republicans are not giving up the fight against sweeping measures aimed at lowering prescription drug prices, and give a glimpse of what their health agenda could look like.

What they're saying: "If the courts haven't gotten to it beforehand, yeah we've got to do our job and try to defend the Constitution," Rep. Morgan Griffith (R-Va.) told Axios, saying the law is an "unlawful taking."

• [*Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas), the top Republican on the House Ways and Means Committee, indicated repealing the drug pricing law is a likely agenda item. "Because those drug provisions are so dangerous, by discouraging investment in life-saving cures, I would imagine that will be a top priority for Republicans in the new session," he said.
  • Rep. Buddy Carter (R-Ga.) replied "yes" when asked if he backed repeal of the drug pricing law.[/list

Can't have anything help Americans if Democrats did it.

These are the worst people and it's got nothing to do with "sides". Of course, the worst people will whine and cry that my statement is actually the one that is about "sides" because that sniveling false victim routine is the only fig leaf they've got. They vote for the worst in order to *get* "the left". Another situation where their accusation is projection.

What a surprise. If the GOP takes Congress, they'll seek to eliminate Medicare's ability to negotiate prescription drug prices, throw out the limits on drug price increases, and remove the cap on seniors' out-of-pocket drug costs.

Last I checked, those were all pretty popular policies, so the GOP uniformly voting against them and now vowing to repeal them is an interesting strategy.

Why would they do that?

They are all extremely popular and help regular Americans afford much needed medications.

This is the gop's idea of 'governing', like it. Nothing says patriotism better than a big **** you. Is cruelty becoming the standard operating procedure in the gop?

Why would they do that?

They are all extremely popular and help regular Americans afford much needed medications.
Big Pharma money......

I hope the Dems pound on this one with seniors. That and Johnson's stupid comments about SS.

Why would they do that?

Big Pharma money......

I hope the Dems pound on this one with seniors. That and Johnson's stupid comments about SS.
Yes, Republicans side with big business, but I think this is about getting the Dems. I agree with @Mr Person.

These Reps know such a bill will never pass the Senate, so this is nothing but virtue signaling to the base.

These Reps know such a bill will never pass the Senate, so this is nothing but virtue signaling to the base.
Except I'm not sure what base they signalling beyond seniors!

This is the gop's idea of 'governing', like it. Nothing says patriotism better than a big **** you. Is cruelty becoming the standard operating procedure in the gop?
It focus groups well with the trump crowd. Maybe speaks to some independents.

There are four wings to the Republican vote. Trumpco, bible thumpers, rinos and independents.

They need all four to have any hope of winning.

Things are happening fast. Faster than effective narratives can be crafted and focus grouped. So they’re flailing.

No response yet to yesterdays bombshells. Takes a day or so at minimum to create one. Longer if they have to unwind earlier narratives without giving the game away.

Now they’re ****ing with the old folks. And that isn’t usually a good idea.

For years the Republican politicians have been screwing average Americans... Including their own base..

But their base keeps voting for them.. Their base will happily cut their own throats to 'stick it to the Libs'...

So don't expect this to be any different.. Even the older Republicans, who need help with prescription drug prices, will continue to vote Republican...

The VA is able to negotiate lower prices for drugs. They have been doing that for decades.

Why don't the republicans have a problem with that? Why aren't the republicans saying it's unconstitutional, dangerous and preventing cancer cures?

And speaking of cancer cures, the republicans just threw fits recently when Biden spoke about his plan to find the cure for cancer. They most certainly don't want Biden to follow through with his project to find the cure for cancer. Yet they say lowering drug prices will prevent a cure for cancer?

I find it extremely insulting that the republicans think we are that stupid.

The MAGA base will eat it up. And serious MAGA seniors will find a way to rationalize or avoid it entirely.

The funny thing is that Trump himself was for this before he was against it.

Now the Senate GOP's gotten into the act, and they're not even waiting for next session.

They sure are trying hard to lose next month aren't they?

Anything they can do to help huge/rich companies screw the average Republican they will do.

They can do what they want because they know one thing, GOP voters will never change and vote for a Dem no matter what the GOP proposes. Look at their candidates like Greene and Boebart who will both win reelection and the election deniers, many of whom will also get elected and tell me I am wrong.

I think it has been since Obama won his election. 14 years of solid republican obstruction.

Back
Top Bottom