• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Democrats Add $1 Billion in Border-Related Spending to Measures to Reopen Government

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
House Democrats Add $1 Billion in Border-Related Spending to Measures to Reopen Government

2019-01-18T074345Z_4_LYNXNPEF0G1TW_RTROPTP_4_TRUMP-PELOSI-AB7-450x300.jpg

1/19/19
WASHINGTON — House Democrats have added more than $1 billion in border-related spending to a package of funding bills that would reopen most of the government, even as President Trump said he would have a “major announcement” on Saturday about the border and the shutdown stalemate. The proposal to include more spending on border measures is scheduled for a vote next week, according to two senior Democratic officials. The plan reflects a shift in strategy by congressional Democrats, who have maintained that they would not give the president a counter-proposal until he drops his insistence on a wall and signs legislation to reopen the government. It is an attempt to rebut Mr. Trump’s repeated portrayal of Democrats as opponents of border security and their denunciation of his wall as an embrace of open borders.

About half the money, $524 million, would be for additional infrastructure at ports of entry on the border, one Democrat said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the plans have not been formally announced, while $563 million more would be inserted to fund 75 immigration judges, who adjudicate the claims of migrants who make asylum claims at the border. The funds were incorporated into a package of six spending bills that House and Senate Republicans and Democrats agreed to last year, and which cover funding for all the closed portions of the federal government except for the Department of Homeland Security. Democrats are also considering a new funding bill for the department, which has $1.3 billion allocated for border security. The proposal would include additional border protection measures they have endorsed, such as more personnel and scanning technology to intercept illicit drugs. Over the past two weeks, the House has passed an array of bills to reopen the government, including several Republican-drafted measures, only to be blocked by Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, who says he will not bring up any bill the president will not sign.

It seems the House Democrats have inserted another $1 Billion into House bills for southern border security. These funds would beef up security and technology at the ports of entry where most smuggled drugs enter and for more immigration judges. This additional $1 Billion would increase the Democrat border security funding package to $2.6 Billion until November 2019. Trump and McConnell still refuse to release more than a million economic hostages to their government shutdown.

Unfortunately this is dead on arrival in the Senate, and for the same reason... “border security” is not Trump’s “great great (useless) wall.”

It seems the House Democrats have inserted another $1 Billion into House bills for southern border security. These funds would beef up security and technology at the ports of entry where most smuggled drugs enter and for more immigration judges. This additional $1 Billion would increase the Democrat border security funding package to $2.6 Billion until November 2019. Trump and McConnell still refuse to release more than a million economic hostages to their government shutdown.

This is interesting. Democrats have determined that there is a problem and that they want to address one part of it, but not the whole solution.

The question is, then, is why not address the whole problem? It's not like another $5 billion one way or the other is going to have a real impact on a $22 trillion debt.

In the mean time, the illegal immigration continues, illegal drug trade continues, illegal human trafficking continues and pointless political bickering continues enabling the rest.

Why are we arguing about which parts of a partial solution we want to implement? Why not do it all? Bite the bullet and spend another 1/10th of one percent of the upcoming fiscal year's outlays and do the whole job.

Unfortunately this is dead on arrival in the Senate, and for the same reason... “border security” is not Trump’s “great great (useless) wall.”

Why not do it all?

Why continue to argue about which parts of the partial solution to implement?

This is interesting. Democrats have determined that there is a problem and that they want to address one part of it, but not the whole solution.

The question is, then, is why not address the whole problem? It's not like another $5 billion one way or the other is going to have a real impact on a $22 trillion debt.

I'll admit sometimes I wonder how self-aware folks on the right are.

But watching you stealth edit your sentence from the original "It's not like another $5 billion one way or the other is going to have a real impact on anything," presumably because you quickly realized that admitting the truth obliterates the point you were trying to make, convinces me you do have self-awareness. If the mission is to criticize Dems for not going all in, you sure as hell can't admit that $5B ain't building the wall!

Why not do it all?

Why hold the entire government hostage for just one of those parts? (Trump will have to explain that in 2020 and it is stupid to think the voter is going to forgive all this.)

This NYT article illustrates the current habit of the news media to ascribe to the "LOOK!! A squirrel!!" method of news reporting. I mean, they ended the article with Graham's trip to Turkey...something that has nothing to do with the funding bills. If they had left out all the unrelated stuff, that article would have been half the length and would be nothing but relevant fact.

In any case, Trump won't accept this and McConnell won't let the Senate vote on it. Since everyone already knows this, this is nothing more than political posturing.

In the mean time, the illegal immigration continues, illegal drug trade continues, illegal human trafficking continues and pointless political bickering continues enabling the rest.

Why are we arguing about which parts of a partial solution we want to implement? Why not do it all? Bite the bullet and spend another 1/10th of one percent of the upcoming fiscal year's outlays and do the whole job.

Why not? Simple...because that's what Trump wants to do. The Dems cannot be seen supporting anything that Trump wants to do.

I think that if a deal is to be made it will be adequate money for the wall and a resolution of DACA. Do remember that DACA people have no legal right to be in the USA, let alone work. So if Trump want to be a dick, he can enforce the law as written and deport them. So there is that. If he want to crank up the pressure on the Democrats, he only needs to put that out there.

Economic hostages. Cute.

I'll admit sometimes I wonder how self-aware folks on the right are.

But watching you stealth edit your sentence from the original "It's not like another $5 billion one way or the other is going to have a real impact on anything," presumably because you quickly realized that admitting the truth obliterates the point you were trying to make, convinces me you do have self-awareness. If the mission is to criticize Dems for not going all in, you sure as hell can't admit that $5B ain't building the wall!

Stealth edit? What is the difference between a garden variety edit and "stealth" edit?

Proof reading sometimes reveals that the most accurate meaning was not written. That is why the change was made. Why do you make edits, if you do so? Is every thought you write perfect and complete in its first writing?

Anyway, are you saying that $5 billion one way or the other WILL have a dramatic effect on the $22 Trillion debt? That is, I think, 2/100's of 1 percent of the debt. With respect, that's about nothing.

That's 2 cents out of $100.00. Even on my paycheck, 2 cents out of $100.00 is a rounding error.

This NYT article illustrates the current habit of the news media to ascribe to the "LOOK!! A squirrel!!" method of news reporting.

Yes we all know. The pain our government employees are going through because of Trump and McConnell isn't squat until Trump gets his $5.6 Billion vanity wall demand.

America won't forget this Trump/McConnell pain in 2020. Trump is toast and the GOP will hopefully lose the Senate. History will also not be kind to Trump and his enablers.

Why hold the entire government hostage for just one of those parts? (Trump will have to explain that in 2020 and it is stupid to think the voter is going to forgive all this.)

Care to name the slaves sold in the human trafficking trade just aren't worth our effort to save? Which addicts to be are just not worth our efforts to save?

Which women raped on their trek to the Southern Border just aren't worth our efforts to save?

You seem anxious to pick and choose who is worth saving. Why is this?

If we can do it all, and we can, why not do it all?

Stealth edit? What is the difference between a garden variety edit and "stealth" edit?

Proof reading sometimes reveals that the most accurate meaning was not written. That is why the change was made. Why do you make edits, if you do so? Is every thought you write perfect and complete in its first writing?

I have no problem with edits! I've just never seen one so revealing of the author's inner thought process play out in real time.

Normally I'd have to wonder whether deep down you know the money Trump is torturing Americans to secure is deeply insufficient for its stated purpose. But now not only do I know you know, I know you know that you can never openly acknowledge it (particularly when trying to kick Democrats for their overtures).

Why not? Simple...because that's what Trump wants to do. The Dems cannot be seen supporting anything that Trump wants to do.

Hate is a powerful motivator and it is moving the Democrats every day in everything they do and think.

Care to name the slaves sold in the human trafficking trade just aren't worth our effort to save? Which addicts to be are just not worth our efforts to save?

Which women raped on their trek to the Southern Border just aren't worth our efforts to save?

You seem anxious to pick and choose who is worth saving. Why is this?

If we can do it all, and we can, why not do it all?

Not to burst your bubble here, but the wall does not all of a sudden stop all this. We have no real evidence it would even slow these things down.

Yes we all know. The pain our government employees are going through because of Trump and McConnell isn't squat until Trump gets his $5.6 Billion vanity wall demand.

America won't forget this Trump/McConnell pain in 2020. Trump is toast and the GOP will hopefully lose the Senate. History will also not be kind to Trump and his enablers.

Were you typing with one hand, eyes rolled back in your head when posting this?

Trump doesn't want another billion for border security? Why does he oppose border security?

I have no problem with edits! I've just never seen one so revealing of the author's inner thought process play out in real time.

Normally I'd have to wonder whether deep down you know the money Trump is torturing Americans to secure is deeply insufficient for its stated purpose. But now not only do I know you know, I know you know that you can never openly acknowledge it (particularly when trying to kick Democrats for their overtures).

What overture is that?

If I ask a person to provide one thing and they offer something entirely different, why on Earth would I accept the thing I don't want and did not ask for?

Take your comment here. You are obviously seeking something that I did not offer.

Why have you not accepted the thing that I offered in its entirety as being satisfactory for your needs?

Not to burst your bubble here, but the wall does not all of a sudden stop all this. We have no real evidence it would even slow these things down.

There are various problems. Trump wants the wall. The Democrats want enhanced security at the ports of entry.

WHY NOT DO BOTH?

Both are obviously needed.

Perhaps. His poll numbers have been steadily declining, but if he can bounce back from Charlottesville then he can bounce back from this.

Ports of entry are not the issue. it is places that are not ports of entry where people are crossing the border that is the issue.
there are no hostages or you don't know the definition of a hostage which wouldn't surprise me.

Pelosi knows what it will take to open government and she could easily get what she wants.
5b for DACA legislation.

that would do it.

Ports of entry are not the issue. it is places that are not ports of entry where people are crossing the border that is the issue.
there are no hostages or you don't know the definition of a hostage which wouldn't surprise me.

Pelosi knows what it will take to open government and she could easily get what she wants.
5b for DACA legislation.

that would do it.

Have any data to back that up? Illegal drugs are mostly smuggled at ports of entry...

I’m still confused as to why the entire federal government is being held hostage by Trump to build his wall, I’m sorry barrier, I’m sorry border security, when someone else was supposed to pay for it?

Given the verisimility of "C through H," a billion to fund an assortment of border security techniques is fine. Hell, they could appropriate $5B for such, and I wouldn't gripe much, even perhaps not at all, about it. What I won't acquiesce to, given "C through H," is new physical barrier structures because in addition to "C through H," there is also the matter that the approach area to a barrier must yet be monitored using the very same tools we'll use to monitor that area were there no barrier there.

Why not do it all?

The addition of 220 miles of the Great Wall Of Trump is nowhere near "doing it all" - it simply adds about 25% more to the existing physical border barriers which can be (and often are) gone over, under or around. IMHO, the best bang for the buck would be changing the federal income tax code to allow employer deduction of direct labor costs for only those (W-2 or 1099) employees who have current (annual) E-Verify certification. As it stands now, we allow employers (job creators?) a 100% deduction of the cost of using illegal immigrant (undocumented?) labor which is a primary draw for illegal immigration (both border jumpers and visa overstays).

Back
Top Bottom