• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Home Remodeling Esstimates (1 Viewer)

Don’t use Big Box store subcontractors.

Rule #1.

You’re paying a premium because both the subcontractor AND the big box store are taking a profit AND those subcontractors are typically the folks that couldn’t make a business work on their own (meaning the quality of their work isn’t up to the same standards are your local businesses)
He cut us loose after we waffled once he had sent a copy of the contract.

The HD guy wanted 100% deposit and were only going to the point that the glass was needed. We almost agreed until we took a look at the contract on paper. The bath&kitchen business seems very secretive/cuthroat. Everyone guards their contract and design, afraid that the homeowner will use that information to find a cheaper alternative. In our area, mid-Atlantic, there seem to be a large number of people of Caucasus origin in the kitchen/bath remodel business????????
Never ever give 100% up front. Mid Atlantic? How far are you from South Carolina? Absolutely always read the contract. My estimate serves as my contract. Look for scope of work, price, cost for changes or alterations, never agree to arbitration. People confident in their work don’t need arbitration clauses. (I often consider all that can be wrong behind a wall and do a worst case scenario additional costs so my client is prepared for the worst even though it usually isn’t that unless I find termite damage(insanely expensive).
I’m not the cheapest bid usually, but I’m also not the most expensive. Never go with cheapest or most expensive. Go with the guy in the middle whose not afraid to let their work speak for itself

Worse than that sounds like someone that would disappear after it’s paid
Possibly, but out of curiosity, I looked up for a minute what becoming a Home Depot sub is about.
Supposed to be identified, background check, needed insurance/licenses held, etc.
And also, 'depending', jobs may be handled through Depot and paid out through them, or you may handle it yourself.

But 100% upfront period, that's a big 🖕. Something stinks..

It is very difficult to get anyone to come to your home and give you an estimate any more. Everyone is chasing the home run balls, don’t want to do little jobs.

Very true, unfortunately.

I don't currently own and have no expertise when it comes to remodeling jobs. I do know from my limited foray into real estate that bathrooms and kitchens offer the most remodeling bang for the buck. If your kitchen needs a remodeling job, maybe it would be a good time to toss that into the mix as well and thus you'd make your remodel more attractive.

But don't overdo it. Lots of people spend way, way too much money on remodeling with upgrades they don't need and even expanding into other rooms that don't really add value to the home. Things like open concept and other crap you see on HGTV are cyclical trends. They're hip for 5-10 years and then they're out of fashion again.

With the right amount of remodel, you can recoup it upon sale. It's just that right now is a hard time to sell a home. With that in mind, consider whether you even need to remodel at all. If you're going to sell, I would only do what's necessary to make the home more sellable.

Rule #1.

You’re paying a premium because both the subcontractor AND the big box store are taking a profit AND those subcontractors are typically the folks that couldn’t make a business work on their own (meaning the quality of their work isn’t up to the same standards are your local businesses)
I so disagree, I have used Home Depot and Lowes so many times, Why? Because when things go sideways, you have HD behind you to make things right. They have always made things right!! A small contractor will be bleeding a stone if they ghost you or give sub work.

Very true, unfortunately.

I don't currently own and have no expertise when it comes to remodeling jobs. I do know from my limited foray into real estate that bathrooms and kitchens offer the most remodeling bang for the buck. If your kitchen needs a remodeling job, maybe it would be a good time to toss that into the mix as well and thus you'd make your remodel more attractive.

But don't overdo it. Lots of people spend way, way too much money on remodeling with upgrades they don't need and even expanding into other rooms that don't really add value to the home. Things like open concept and other crap you see on HGTV are cyclical trends. They're hip for 5-10 years and then they're out of fashion again.

With the right amount of remodel, you can recoup it upon sale. It's just that right now is a hard time to sell a home. With that in mind, consider whether you even need to remodel at all. If you're going to sell, I would only do what's necessary to make the home more sellable.
This is good advice. You can do minimal things without spending big bucks and update...new paint, removing carpet and adding a hard flooring of some sort (LVP is really popular, but there is also waterproof hardwood now and of course slate or tile). Removing popcorn (a job I absolutely hate) changing trim work up to something more modern and of course showers (never go with these bath fitters places...they are a rip off) Tile is a good option as are wall panels, but I personally prefer tile for showers (if selling stick to neutral colors, because it can be a deal breaker) Another option is to add in a budget to change or upgrade certain things upon the closing. Saves the headache of a remodel and at the same time gives an incentive to the buyer to say 'deal' because they can make it what they want it and use their own taste and colors.

I so disagree, I have used Home Depot and Lowes so many times, Why? Because when things go sideways, you have HD behind you to make things right. They have always made things right!! A small contractor will be bleeding a stone if they ghost you or give sub work.
I don't think he was actually using Home Depot and the 100% deposit is a big, red flag. The one thing about a big box store, is you know the person is insured....but that is no guarantee their work will be high quality. You said they have always made it right...that tells me they aren't always of high quality, even though HD stands behind their name....and makes it right...it should be right the first time.

Rule #1.

You might think that, BUT, they have constant work, no advertising, etc. Again, I have used them so many times and in my opinion it is a good choice. Now, Lowes, recently switched to thumbtack, and I cancelled my last plumbing job when I found out. I had a really bad experience with thumbtack.

I don't think he was actually using Home Depot and the 100% deposit is a big, red flag. The one thing about a big box store, is you know the person is insured....but that is no guarantee their work will be high quality. You said they have always made it right...that tells me they aren't always of high quality, even though HD stands behind their name....and makes it right...it should be right the first time.
Better to have Home Depot make it right then NO one. Yes, Home Depot has been hit or miss, but, I always got things done, and usually with some compensation.

Yeah, that surprised me. I never had HD ask for full payment up front.

Better to have Home Depot make it right then NO one. Yes, Home Depot has been hit or miss, but, I always got things done, and usually with some compensation.
That is why you look at your contract and cover your bases. You also never pay more than 50% deposit, never ever ever....Always keep 10% until job is complete and any inspection or your final approval occurs. So, if a job is 10,000, it is normal (now that materials are so expensive) to ask for a $5000 deposit and increments on the rest, leaving 10% at the final. Hire local.....the local guy has more to lose than HD does.

Yeah, that surprised me. I never had HD ask for full payment up front.
I think it may be allowed in some states, because they sell it to you as a product and not as a remodel or installation....they sell the product in their books...it's a loophole...but I don't care who it is, especially Home Depot and Lowes I am not giving up 100% of money upfront for a job. (yes, I occasionally hire out work. on my home, because I do this all the darn time and prefer not to work on my own home on my few precious days off.

That is why you look at your contract and cover your bases. You also never pay more than 50% deposit, never ever ever....Always keep 10% until job is complete and any inspection or your final approval occurs. So, if a job is 10,000, it is normal (now that materials are so expensive) to ask for a $5000 deposit and increments on the rest, leaving 10% at the final. Hire local.....the local guy has more to lose than HD does.
But what if "local guy" ghosts you with your $5000 deposit. Hard to bleed a stone.

But what if "local guy" ghosts you with your $5000 deposit. Hard to bleed a stone.
That is when you ask for a contractor's license, bond information, contract and their insurance, before handing that deposit....if they disappear with your deposit, that is a crime, especially if they never start the work as agreed....you can report to police and report it to the bonding company for a refund

Home Depot demanded 100% under their contract heading stating that they would dole it out to the contractor on a scale.

1715348439580.png

Home Depot demanded 100% under their contract heading stating that they would dole it out to the contractor on a scale.

View attachment 67508980
Hmm.. Suppose this is how, HD, being the 'middle man', ensures they don't get stiffed when they pay out to sub but you haven't paid them in full.
But no thanks!

Many years ago, remodeling estimates were detailed. Material was going to cost this much, labor this much and any incidentals were specified.

The missus wants to gut the master bath and I don’t think it is economically sound, given we are near selling and downsizing. Next few years. I have negotiated done to redo/replace the shower and replace a light and a fan/heater/light assembly.

The company that she has picked provide an overall price with no details about how they arrived at the number.. In this age, the total isn’t that outrageous, but they require 30% at signing, 30% at tear out, and another 30% when the tile work is done. To my thinking this leave us very little leverage if something goes sideways.

Plus they want two weeks to replace a custom corner shower stall, replace the overhead light, exhaust fan unit, patch and paint the ceiling. That seems awfully long to me?

Anyone have any recent experiences with this type of thing?

It is very difficult to get anyone to come to your home and give you an estimate any more. Everyone is chasing the home run balls, don’t want to do little jobs.

I think there are a few contractor typed her as well, how do you guys do it?
Good luck, at least bathroom work almost always gets you more than it costs. I, on the other hand, am getting ready to drop a big check to replace a water main...

That is when you ask for a contractor's license, bond information, contract and their insurance, before handing that deposit....if they disappear with your deposit, that is a crime, especially if they never start the work as agreed....you can report to police and report it to the bonding company for a refund
Sure, all sounds good, but good luck with that recovery. I think I will stick with what I have learned is the safest route.

View attachment 67508980
OK, so Home Depot is holding your money. They also have many forms of payment through them. They offer 10% military discount on parts, not labor. They have financing. At least you know your money is safe with them. Hiring contractors is a crap shoot out there... I hope you find one that shows up, let alone finishes the work.

Update:

Me and the missus have been at this for two and a half months. We thought we had settled on an outfit and I went along to see their mock up of a neo-angle shower. I wanted to see how the panels were sealed and mounted. I had installed a box store angle shower thirty years ago and haven’t kept up. We were a little late and the secretary called us as we were approaching the showroom/office. Their display was impressive until I started touching the panels. One panel was not sealed to the adjacent one and there was no header. This was 3/8” thick glass and it should have had a little more work done on it. The hardware was of various types and finishes to show what is available. The young lady on duty wasn’t able to answer a few basic questions and when the missus inquired about their glass sub, she clammed up like we were asking about nuclear codes.I told her we wouldn’t be signing just now and 24 hours have passed and there has been no contact. This outfit was the most reasonably priced estimate that we have gotten, but there are some questions that they can’t/wont answer.

Kitchen/bath remodeling must be a dog eat dog business, most contractors we have dealt with are very protective of their pricing and design. I have a relationship with a local glass outfit that does shower enclosures and there is a well reviewed local contractor coming on Tuesday next to have a look. This process is exhausting and I can’t imagine what people that have no clue what is involved must feel like when faced with some of these choices…….

Update:

Me and the missus have been at this for two and a half months. We thought we had settled on an outfit and I went along to see their mock up of a neo-angle shower. I wanted to see how the panels were sealed and mounted. I had installed a box store angle shower thirty years ago and haven’t kept up. We were a little late and the secretary called us as we were approaching the showroom/office. Their display was impressive until I started touching the panels. One panel was not sealed to the adjacent one and there was no header. This was 3/8” thick glass and it should have had a little more work done on it. The hardware was of various types and finishes to show what is available. The young lady on duty wasn’t able to answer a few basic questions and when the missus inquired about their glass sub, she clammed up like we were asking about nuclear codes.I told her we wouldn’t be signing just now and 24 hours have passed and there has been no contact. This outfit was the most reasonably priced estimate that we have gotten, but there are some questions that they can’t/wont answer.

Kitchen/bath remodeling must be a dog eat dog business, most contractors we have dealt with are very protective of their pricing and design. I have a relationship with a local glass outfit that does shower enclosures and there is a well reviewed local contractor coming on Tuesday next to have a look. This process is exhausting and I can’t imagine what people that have no clue what is involved must feel like when faced with some of these choices…….
I’m hoping you find someone. I can say reasonably a shower like you want shouldn’t cost more than $8000

Almost two weeks ago, I thought we had found our guy. The missus was walking the dog in the area and there was a lawn sign on a neighbor’s property. One of those “Ace Remodelers is Working Here” with contact information. I gave them a call and the owner showed up on an agreed afternoon. He is local in the county and came dressed from working. He sized up the job and stated he would be in touch. After a few days, I went to the website and made sure they had the contact email and phone number. A few days became over a week and I got his wife, the president, on the phone and asked if they had any information. She had been OOT for a family matter, but would get with he husband when he got home and she would get back to me. This was last Thursday, I even texted her my email address because she wasn’t sure she had gotten it.
With the holiday weekend approaching, I didn’t expect much, maybe, “hey, we’ve been busy, we haven’t forgotten you….” Tuesday will be two weeks after the owner left the house and went home. Am I expecting too much?

Article in the paper this morning that people are putting off “remodels” because of the exorbitant pricing. We’ve had a 10K spread between the highest and lowest estimates to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom