• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Historically Low Number Of People Identifying As Democrats, Poll Finds

SkyChief

USN Veteran
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
In the past, democrats had a leg up over republicans with regards to percentage of the electorate, however that is not the case anymore. Dems are now tied with repubs - - each group constitutes 27% of U.S. adults, which is a new low for democrats.

Also the study found another unexpected shift - - Independents who lean Republican now outnumber those who lean Democratic. In the past, the opposite was true - more indies leaned left than right.

source: https://www.analyzingamerica.org/2024/01/742950/

Independents are the largest voting bloc of the electorate with 43%

I think a lot of the people who switched to independent are Progressives at heart. It's a protest statement because things are not going their way as much as they would like.

I do think there is much voter enthusiasm for either party. Just for Trump.

I'm curious if most independents are actually radicals on either side of the spectrum who no longer identify with the neoliberal stasis represented by most Republicans and Democrats.
I don't know about most but I think a significant portion are.

I'm curious if most independents are actually radicals on either side of the spectrum who no longer identify with the neoliberal stasis represented by most Republicans and Democrats.
Most independents were born independents - i.e., they were never aligned with either Party.

The remaining number of independents are walkaways from the democratic or republican parties. MOST of these walkaways describe themselves as moderates.

So it would seem that most independents are not radicals - most are moderates. (IMO)

In the past, democrats had a leg up over republicans with regards to percentage of the electorate, however that is not the case anymore. Dems are now tied with repubs - - each group constitutes 27% of U.S. adults, which is a new low for democrats.

Also the study found another unexpected shift - - Independents who lean Republican now outnumber those who lean Democratic. In the past, the opposite was true - more indies leaned left than right.

Not surprising. Who would want to hitch their wagon to the Biden Progressive Democrats.

The Independent voting block has been increasing for years.
imo, people are tired of both parties putting Party first over people.

It might be interesting if they produced a link to the Gallup poll they purport to be referencing. What is it with the right and unsourced claims?

Democrats mean well but their ideology is too simplistic and doesn't address real human behavioral issues.

If you don't like the poll results, then ignore them. 🙂
It's easy to do since the poll numbers they use are unsupported. I don't believe your source. It may be correct, but if it was, why wouldn't that poll be sourced?

Assuming this information is correct, I suspect to some degree this works both ways. Ever more bringing up politics even among friends or family is considered rude. The reason the polls were so wrong in 2016 election is because a lot of people would just as soon not say they're voting for Trump. People in the family might be angry with that answer.

Because of the more benighted positions of the left that are nonsensical, folks would prefer not to say they are democrats or liberals because they don't want to have to defend the more absurd positions the far left promotes.

because the cult is scaring them

I identify as European center left, which puts me to the left of some Democrats. I like stuff like labor rights and not going broke because you get sick. If I shouted my policy preferences on a street in Europe, the average person would think that I was a nutter or a time traveler from the mid-20th century. Either that, or they would think that I was an American who got lost.

I identify as European center left, which puts me to the left of some Democrats. I like stuff like labor rights and not going broke because you get sick. If I shouted my policy preferences on a street in Europe, the average person would think that I was a nutter or a time traveler from the mid-20th century. Either that, or they would think that I was an American who got lost.
Dental healthcare is obscene in the USA. Do you identify because you are European?

Dental healthcare is obscene in the USA. Do you identify because you are European?
Are you criticizing my crooked smile? I don't use it more often than necessary.

Ok, that wasn't totally true.

i'm not registered as a Democrat.

Most independents were born independents - i.e., they were never aligned with either Party.

The remaining number of independents are walkaways from the democratic or republican parties. MOST of these walkaways describe themselves as moderates.

So it would seem that most independents are not radicals - most are moderates. (IMO)
The Quinnipiac poll of Independents only, in November, found K Jr with 36% of all Independent voters, 31% for Trump and only 30% for Biden. This polling of Independent voters only has been consistent by the polling organizations when they focus on Independents only.

Indeed, poll after poll of Independent voters only have found K Jr and Trump dominating the total vote of Independents only. In the Quinnipiac poll for instance 67% of all Independent voters favor either K Jr or Trump.

This states clearly and unmistakably that the vast majority of Independents are radical whackjob voters. It also makes clear why the notorious MAGAs of The Big Lie would call this equally depraved gaggle of voters "moderates."

And if Trump is elected again it will be these dissolute Independent voters who do it. Delivered to the polling stations by cheery MAGAs.

N.B. The 22% for K Jr in this link is of ALL voters. Next up high in the story however, the poll found the data I am citing in this post, ie, K Jr. with 36% of Independent voters only and so on.

The source of this poll is worthless. Analyzing America is just another crazy right wing extremist source. It has no validity. Their main focus is coming up with conspiracy theories with no validity.
Check them out for yourself. No serious person would use them as a source.

With Independent voters comprising 43% of the electorate it is clear that if Trump is elected again it will be the Independent voters who will have done it. That would be the strong majority of Independent voters who are whackjobs.

The current Quinnipiac poll of Jan. 31st has 56% of Independent voters going for one or the other of Trump, K Jr or Jill Stein of the Green Party who is a Putin cutout, same as Stein and the Green Party were a Putin cutout in 2016. Indeed, the total vote Stein got in PA, MI, WI exceeded Trump's hairbreadth total margin of victory in those three states. So the fact is too many Independent voters, the clear majority of 'em, are certified whackjobs.

Trump won Independents in 2016 which set the country off on this madhouse chaos and drumbeat of self destruction. Ignoring Independents this time or thinking the mass of Independent voters are "moderates" invites allowing Independent voters to execute their coup de grace against the United States.

Because in this election it is on the voters to decide between Liberal Democracy or Fascist Dictatorship. The candidate's gait has never been a valid basis of voting and in the present national circumstance -- enabled by Independent voters in 2016 -- it remains banal.

In 2000 Ralph Nader in Florida got enough votes to throw the election from which he himself and the nation itself have never recovered. Nor will either ever recover from that disastrous fiasco by which Nader + the Supreme Court drove the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom