• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hillary Clinton to agree to the TPP?

It's hypocrisy at its finest, but nothing new for Hillary Clinton.

That said, it would be the right policy decision. Unless Clinton, like Trump, is planning to NAFTAExit the US in a coming term in office, the US pretty much has to sign on to the TPP treaty. Canada's new Liberal, and far more liberal than Clinton, government has reversed course since taking office and is now in favour of ratifying the TPP negotiated by the Conservatives while in office. As a result, if the US doesn't agree to TPP, they will be impacted by all the negatives of that move with none of the positives. Pacific nations will use the easing of access to set up shop in Canada and use NAFTA for direct access to US markets without having to allow the US direct access to their markets.

Time to face facts people - the world is too small now for isolationism. Smart liberals will eventually figure that out. In fact, if this is true, it will be one more reason why some conservatives and independents will support Clinton over Trump in the coming election.

It's hypocrisy at its finest, but nothing new for Hillary Clinton.

That said, it would be the right policy decision. Unless Clinton, like Trump, is planning to NAFTAExit the US in a coming term in office, the US pretty much has to sign on to the TPP treaty. Canada's new Liberal, and far more liberal than Clinton, government has reversed course since taking office and is now in favour of ratifying the TPP negotiated by the Conservatives while in office. As a result, if the US doesn't agree to TPP, they will be impacted by all the negatives of that move with none of the positives. Pacific nations will use the easing of access to set up shop in Canada and use NAFTA for direct access to US markets without having to allow the US direct access to their markets.

Time to face facts people - the world is too small now for isolationism. Smart liberals will eventually figure that out. In fact, if this is true, it will be one more reason why some conservatives and independents will support Clinton over Trump in the coming election.

It seems so absolutely off the wall to want to reneg on TTP, TTIP or any other treaties of the kind. True, it would have probably made sense to have more grandfathering clauses and adjustment periods of longer length. But the loss in the country's standing and credibility aside, free markets are so much more productive that staying out, using non tariff or even tariff instruments is absurd.
The solution to the problems from free trade are domestic and can only be dealt with there, if we want to remain a great power.

It seems so absolutely off the wall to want to reneg on TTP, TTIP or any other treaties of the kind. True, it would have probably made sense to have more grandfathering clauses and adjustment periods of longer length. But the loss in the country's standing and credibility aside, free markets are so much more productive that staying out, using non tariff or even tariff instruments is absurd.
The solution to the problems from free trade are domestic and can only be dealt with there, if we want to remain a great power.

I agree - the issues are domestic for all countries. We here in Canada have had growing pains issues as well. Hard for some people to understand and appreciate that it's far better to promote and expand those things you do better and more efficiently than anyone else instead of wasting taxpayer dollars trying to support and promote industries and activities that others do better and more efficiently just because in a simpler time we did those things.

Where all those Sanders fans who were supporting him for backing Hillary and talking about all the good he did by getting the Ds to change their party platform. Sounds like they made quite the changes.
Further proof that he sold out his honor for nothing.

Sanders has already left the building. Bad optic not waiting until at least after Hillarys speech tonight.

Bernie Sanders Leaves the Democratic Party | Heat Street

I agree - the issues are domestic for all countries. We here in Canada have had growing pains issues as well. Hard for some people to understand and appreciate that it's far better to promote and expand those things you do better and more efficiently than anyone else instead of wasting taxpayer dollars trying to support and promote industries and activities that others do better and more efficiently just because in a simpler time we did those things.

That is one of the basic ideas at the hearts of liberalism, statism and the social (democratic) movement you are criticizing there. That is why they do not work but for a few.

I agree but damn wait until after the election. Trump now has this for a soundbyte while campaigning in PA,MI,OH...

I was shocked for the exact same reason. I really assumed she'd wait until after the election. But then again, I was shocked to hear she supported TPP in the first place.

I was shocked for the exact same reason. I really assumed she'd wait until after the election. But then again, I was shocked to hear she supported TPP in the first place.

She could deliver on a lot of promises if TPP was passed. The potential for kickback profit goes up exponentially.

Look up who the DNC chairman was prior to DWS.
Just look it up. :)

I heard that it was someone named Jim Stain. Was that it? No Tim Bane? No but I think I'm getting closer. Oh well whoever it was I bet they'll become Vice Presidential nominee one day!

I heard that it was someone named Jim Stain. Was that it? No Tim Bane? No but I think I'm getting closer. Oh well whoever it was I bet they'll become Vice Presidential nominee one day!

I hate to be all conspiracy theory like, but geesh, as of late some things are hard to distinguish between truth and fiction.

Is there any supporter of Hillary who thinks she will keep her pledge against TPP?

For me its about if it will be within first 100 days
I imagine she will wait a little bit and "renegotiate" it before it passes. There is no way she touches it during the general or within the first 100 days.

I hope we see the last of her when we kick her ass out in 2020.

Didn't you hear? Term limits for presidents will be extended. It will be for our safety.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

You mean she lied about it.

It isn't her fault that the truth doesn't agree with her. Blame that on the truth.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

Back
Top Bottom