• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has the Republican Party lost its way?

rjay

Rocket Surgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
One thing I have come to expect from political parties is political strategy. Some cohesiveness in their message and how they are getting the message out. I also expect some cohesiveness on how they go after the other party, highlight the percieved weaknesses and downplay or ignore any strengths.

Two weeks ago Republicans had Democrats against the ropes on the handling of Syria. Had they let Obamacare pass the main political story woould have been the piss-poor rollout of the ACA and all the problems people have signing up for coverage.

The Democrats would still be against the ropes, now looking like incompetents on their own peice of hallmark legislation.

Instead the main thing in the news is the Republicans and their leadership or lack of it. They do not look like a party ready to govern compared to the Democrats. That is not an easy thing to achieve with how the Democrats have been handling things, but the Republicans have managed to do it.

Are there no wise political strategists anymore? With some foreward thinking the Republicans could be sitting way up in all the polls and could use that clout to strengthen their negotiating position. The Republicans look like a bunch of individuals and loose cannons and not like a cohesive political force.

What is going on?

One thing I have come to expect from political parties is political strategy. Some cohesiveness in their message and how they are getting the message out. I also expect some cohesiveness on how they go after the other party, highlight the percieved weaknesses and downplay or ignore any strengths.

Two weeks ago Republicans had Democrats against the ropes on the handling of Syria. Had they let Obamacare pass the main political story woould have been the piss-poor rollout of the ACA and all the problems people have signing up for coverage.

The Democrats would still be against the ropes, now looking like incompetents on their own peice of hallmark legislation.

Instead the main thing in the news is the Republicans and their leadership or lack of it. They do not look like a party ready to govern compared to the Democrats. That is not an easy thing to achieve with how the Democrats have been handling things, but the Republicans have managed to do it.

Are there no wise political strategists anymore? With some foreward thinking the Republicans could be sitting way up in all the polls and could use that clout to strengthen their negotiating position. The Republicans look like a bunch of individuals and loose cannons and not like a cohesive political force.

What is going on?

Same thing that has always went on its a power struggle . I believe this is not very uncommon wait a few months , you will see the change . Both of these party's seem un ready for the government lately it is pick the lesser of two evils . Too bad their is no Neutral party's out their that can combine the best of both of their beliefs and ideas but alas their is not .

The Republican Party is going through a huge upheaval in which the disgusting, Liberal RINOs are being replaced by true Conservatives, who actually do represent their constituents and the American people.

The obvious destruction of our once beautiful country by the shrieking excesses of the Left has finally galvanized Americans into action and while it isn't pretty, on the other end of the pipeline, it will be a good thing and the loons will become much less an influence in America and the American people will have a voice in the governing of the country that Americans built and died for.

Last edited:
They lost me when the Tea Party rabble and the anti science Talibornagains started taking over, and made "moderate" into a dirty word.

The Republican Party is going through a huge upheaval in which the disgusting, Liberal RINOs are being replaced by true Conservatives, who actually do represent their constituents and the American people.

The obvious destruction of our once beautiful country by the shrieking excesses of the Left has finally galvanized Americans into action and while it isn't pretty, on the other end of the pipeline, it will be a good thing and the loons will become much less an influence in America and the American people will have a voice in the governing of the country that Americans built and died for.

:roll:

I left the party when I heard more and more of the hyperbole listed above, instead of any rational solutions. Thoughtful and insightful ways have been replaced by the garbage usually heard on talk radio to make people angry and riled up. The party has become an unfocused angry screed party, without any ideas. The party left me, I don't miss it, proud to be independent.

They lost me when the Tea Party rabble and the anti science Talibornagains started taking over, and made "moderate" into a dirty word.

That's how you know you're right and they're wrong---down right nuts, in fact. IMO, the nutty group that is against teaching evolution in public schools has taken over the Party, and anyone who agrees with the way they do things is probably not quite right either.

So are you saying the Republican party has lost its way. That it is devoid of political strategy, and will continue to be, until all the lifelong Republicans, who are center right, have been drummed out of the party?

What is that noise? Oh, it is the sound of a collapsing tent.

That's how you know you're right and they're wrong---down right nuts, in fact. IMO, the nutty group that is against teaching evolution in public schools has taken over the Party, and anyone who agrees with the way they do things is probably not quite right either.
The want less government, except when it comes to the things they want. Hypocrisy, they are soaking in it. The tea party on the right and code pink on the left is what you get when people listen to hucksters on talk radio (left and right) and let these entertainers whip them up into an angry frenzy...one they were never angry about until someone on the radio needed more ratings. People are easily taken, and using anger is an easy way to hook them.

The want less government, except when it comes to the things they want. Hypocrisy, they are soaking in it. The tea party on the right and code pink on the left is what you get when people listen to hucksters on talk radio (left and right) and let these entertainers whip them up into an angry frenzy...one they were never angry about until someone on the radio needed more ratings. People are easily taken, and using anger is an easy way to hook them.

Except the DNC stopped listening to Code Pink and OWS types long ago. Meanwhile, the RNC is actively embracing the "anti-contraception let's eliminate 3 Departments, but don't ask me to name them" crowd. That's why the GOP has begun losing Senate Seats in states like Alaska, Indiana and Missouri.

Except the DNC stopped listening to Code Pink and OWS types long ago. Meanwhile, the RNC is actively embracing the "anti-contraception let's eliminate 3 Departments, but don't ask me to name them" crowd. That's why the GOP has begun losing Senate Seats in states like Alaska, Indiana and Missouri.

The tea party doesn't get demographics, the country is not producing a whole lot more white male christians, so they are chasing a dwindling demographic.

The tea party doesn't get demographics, the country is not producing a whole lot more white male christians, so they are chasing a dwindling demographic.

Personally, I think they are playing those angry old white guys as suckers--getting their money by telling them what they want to hear and gathering just enough votes to win primaries in safely Red Districts. Throwing eye-candy like Sarah their way hasn't hurt either.

Here's a scary read...at least it's scary for anyone not crazy.

The National Memo » Why The Tea Party’s Power Keeps Growing

While moderate Republicans want their leaders to seek what they call “middle ground,” they form only one quarter of today’s Republican voters. The most conservative factions in the party — evangelicals and Tea Party adherents — now comprise more than half of Republican partisans. These folks do not worry that Republican leaders’ intransigence has led to this kind of shutdown politics in Washington. Instead, they worry that current Republican leaders are too compromising:

And, what these nutjobs are saying is absolutely crazy
The problem is there’s not a party that thinks like us. We don’t have a voice in Washington. Or where else? The Republican Party? They might as well just have a D beside their name, as far as I’m concerned. (Evangelical man, Roanoke)

I would say that our greatest strength is…we do have a lot of rednecks in our country, and we have a lot of people who are stepping out and saying things now. (Evangelical woman, Colorado Springs)

I think it’s a good thing, because [the Tea Party represents] core Conservatives…So you’ve got the Republicans against the Conservatives, and they said, “You need to be more Conservative if you’re going to win the elections and get more people.” (Tea Party man, Raleigh)

The tea party doesn't get demographics,
the country is not producing a whole lot more white male christians, so they are chasing a dwindling demographic.

Well after the two last elections its clear what's being produced.

And its far from a knowledgable voter.

As the left appeals to the lowest common denominator the Tea Party appeals to the people that understand the premise of our Constitution.

It sounds like you've allowed yourself to be influenced by the liberal definition of a group of individuals that had enough influence to turn the 2010 elections.

And regardless of who Consrvatives are "chasing" after nearly 5 years its clear the alternative to the Tea Party equates to rising poverty and a highly corrupt Government.

Independants are never truely objective individuals.

Here's a scary read...at least it's scary for anyone not crazy.

The National Memo » Why The Tea Party’s Power Keeps Growing

And, what these nutjobs are saying is absolutely crazy

There is NOTHING nuttier than 5 years in blaming everything on the previous president and the minority party.

There is NOTHING crazier than being a shill for a incompetent President who's only produced misery and pain for the average middle class families since his election in 2008.

Glass houses calamity

What is going on?

That's not the way I see it. The way I see it is we finally have people standing for principle and holding their ground. I applaud the Republicans for standing firm while the Democrats shutdown the government and character assassinate the Republicans with lies.

What is going on?

I agree, by tying the ACA with the budget or CR in this case, all the bad news and scandals taring the Dems have faded into oblivion. The Democrats know how to play the political game, it beginning to seem the republicans don't even know how to dress to take the field.

That's not the way I see it. The way I see it is we finally have people standing for principle and holding their ground. I applaud the Republicans for standing firm while the Democrats shutdown the government and character assassinate the Republicans with lies.

When I saw your name attached to the my 'notification' of your reply - I knew one thing. The response I would get would not be very analytical.
I was right.

So, what strategy are they following and under who's leadership? What is the underlying thought process in allowing the Democrats to go back on the offensive after having them on the defensive for the last few weeks

When I see the fools that the Tea Party puts up, in AK, NV adn DE, all I can say is..they are killing the party. The party has fallen into the hands of the rabble.

Temporary problems in the short-term, requiring a bit more cohesion, purpose, and the inevitable decline of their political foes.

I'm thinking the Democratic Party during the Bush administration, before 2006-2007.

The ACA needs to be dealt with... shutting down the government is not the way. I respect the House for standing strong in the face of attacks upon attacks from the POTUS and media, but they can only last so long, and they know it. Playing the blame-game isn't going to fix anything, just give Democrats more excuses and examples to claim that the right-wing is an anarchist group that should be tried for treason. (Yes there are people who believe this.)

I didn't really expect anything different, unfortunately. The Republicans were on the right track representing the people by opposing Obamacare... now they're endangering any progress they've made at showing how incompetent Obama is.

You need those kind of Republicans to seriously undermine the strength of the Democratic Party. Shooing them out just makes the party isolated in areas needing serious growth. The argument for dominance is one thing (Republicans had a good, long debate about that during the 1970s), "purifying" (even though I seriously have qualms with such a definition of "true conservative") has its own pungent weaknesses (something Tea Partiers are too inept to understand).

This is just recycled fluff that you could have found scouring newspapers from the 1790s onward. It's cute, sometimes it is good fluff to put up in a short speech...but it's fluff.

This is just recycled fluff that you could have found scouring newspapers from the 1790s onward. It's cute, sometimes it is good fluff to put up in a short speech...but it's fluff.

This posted reference to what was said is so far out of touch and divorced from present reality, it seems incredibly naive. Perhaps agenda driven? Who the hell could say. SMH.

This posted reference to what was said is so far out of touch and divorced from present reality, it seems incredibly naive. Perhaps agenda driven? Who the hell could say. SMH.

The Right is going to HAVE to reach out to more groups to survive... That's why I think Republicans need to be more open to Libertarians. The group is growing in popularity and could help pull in a lot of independent voters.

Back
Top Bottom