• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Harry Reid forces closed senate session:

aps said:
His own man. ;) I honestly don't know what it makes him. I committed sins of impurity while I was in graduate school, but went to church faithfully, prayed every day, and said the rosary once a week. I don't think the fact that I committed sins of impurity made me a lesser or bad Catholic.

You have a point.......Maybe hypocrite was the wrong word.Being and old country boy sometimes I butcher the english language...........

I guess I just dislike Reid..........He should be careful about obstructionist tactics.........You know what happened to the guy who's place he took...........

Navy Pride said:
You have a point.......Maybe hypocrite was the wrong word.Being and old country boy sometimes I butcher the english language...........

I guess I just dislike Reid..........He should be careful about obstructionist tactics.........You know what happened to the guy who's place he took...........

I do understand what you're saying though about the Reidster. Yes, I am fully aware of what happened to his predecessor.

I love what Harry Reid did yesterday. It's about time he showed some b a l l s. ;)

aps said:
I do understand what you're saying though about the Reidster. Yes, I am fully aware of what happened to his predecessor.

I love what Harry Reid did yesterday. It's about time he showed some b a l l

s. ;)

Well some of us might call it grandstanding to take the play away from the President Bush's judicial nominee....

Navy Pride said:
I personally think Reid is one of the biggest hypocrites in the senate........He is a Mormon and that religion is pro life and yet he is pro choice......How hypocritical is that?

Why is that hypocritical? The Bible does not proscribe abortion.

Navy Pride said:
Well some of us might call it grandstanding to take the play away from the President Bush's judicial nominee....
Well, there is the fact that Libby's indictment is timed with it as well. So, I can see both being the grounds for this action. I believe it to be part timing of Libby and part nominee... and maybe even part just a power play by the minority.

Navy Pride said:
I personally think Reid is one of the biggest hypocrites in the senate........He is a Mormon and that religion is pro life and yet he is pro choice......How hypocritical is that?
Like shooting fish in a barrel...Sen. Reid is NOT pro-choice...but to you MR. Pride anyone who is a Democrat must be because he's a Democrat. Do you ever actually check to see if what you're writing is correct?
Harry Reid on Abortion

* Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime. (Mar 2004)
* Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life. (Mar 2003)
* Voted YES on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions. (Jun 2000)
* Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions. (Oct 1999)
* Voted YES on disallowing overseas military abortions. (May 1999)
* Rated 29% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
* Expand embryonic stem cell research. (Jun 2004)
Source: http://www.issues2000.org/Senate/Harry_Reid.htm
What does CNN say?
The one-time chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission is also a Mormon who stands at odds with most of his party by opposing abortion rights.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/03/senate.democrats/

Shooting fish in a barrel

Navy Pride said:

Hmmmm, which is more important? A nomination to the Supreme Court or whether the Bush Administration exaggerated intelligence to get us into war? That is a no-brainer.

BTW, I support Alito's nomination.

How can anyone watching the situation over the years not see the Democratic Party as a bunch of temper tantrumed babies? First they paraded around touting the notion of filibusting. Now they have imposed a "closed session" of the Sentate. What's next...throw themselves on the ground and hold their breaths?:roll:

One could only hope that they do the ultimate form of defiance....walk off of the job. Then we can be completely free to defend this nation without their interference (as their sole focus behind closed doors is merely about the next presidency.)

GySgt said:
How can anyone watching the situation over the years not see the Democratic Party as a bunch of temper tantrumed babies? First they paraded around touting the notion of filibusting. Now they have imposed a "closed session" of the Sentate. What's next...throw themselves on the ground and hold their breaths?:roll:

One could only hope that they do the ultimate form of defiance....walk off of the job. Then we can be completely free to defend this nation without their interference (as their sole focus behind closed doors is merely about the next presidency.)
Ad Hominem, nevermind the reason for this closed door session. Wasn't the pre-war information from "phase two" due over a year ago?

GySgt said:

Ha ha ha ha. Let's talk about the republicans essentially filibusting Miers. GySgt, the Senate Intelligence Committee had promised it would investigate whether the Bush Admin. exaggerated the intelligence. According to Rockefeller, they hadn't done a thing about it in 18 months. Call it a tantrum all you want. As long as it gets us results, they can do anything they want.

Defend the nation? Yeah, exaggerating intelligence and getting us to invade a country that wasn't a threat to us, causing more than 2000 deaths and more than 10,000 lost limbs (which would make those soldiers unfit to servie their country anymore) is real indictive of defending this nation.

aps said:
Ha ha ha ha. Let's talk about the republicans essentially filibusting Miers. GySgt, the Senate Intelligence Committee had promised it would investigate whether the Bush Admin. exaggerated the intelligence. According to Rockefeller, they hadn't done a thing about it in 18 months. Call it a tantrum all you want. As long as it gets us results, they can do anything they want.

Defend the nation? Yeah, exaggerating intelligence and getting us to invade a country that wasn't a threat to us, causing more than 2000 deaths and more than 10,000 lost limbs (which would make those soldiers unfit to servie their country anymore) is real indictive of defending this nation.

You're right....the threat of terrorism involves all the countries in the Middle East EXCEPT Iraq. We should have invaded Syria, Saudi, and Iran and left Saddam to continue the oppression that bred terrorists in his surrounding countries. Still think that arresting a few terrorists will make you safe...huh? :roll:

People die in war and they lose their limbs. Get over it.

Binary_Digit said:
Ad Hominem, nevermind the reason for this closed door session. Wasn't the pre-war information from "phase two" due over a year ago?

So? It wouldn't have mattered. This is all political grandstanding with the future presidency in full focus.

GySgt said:
You're right....the threat of terrorism involves all the countries in the Middle East EXCEPT Iraq. We should have invaded Syria, Saudi, and Iran and left Saddam to continue the oppression that bred terrorists in his surrounding countries. Still think that arresting a few terrorists will make you safe...huh? :roll:

People die in war and they lose their limbs. Get over it.

My God, you're an a$$. I dare you to say that to the families who have lost loved ones and to the soldiers who have missing limbs. It's one thing to fight in a war that is justified and ethical. It's another thing to fight in a war that was not remotely justified.

Based on what I said, you think that I believe that arresting a few terrorists will make me safe? Let me tell you something--your deduction capability is unimpressive, at best.

aps said:
My God, you're an a$$. I dare you to say that to the families who have lost loved ones and to the soldiers who have missing limbs. It's one thing to fight in a war that is justified and ethical. It's another thing to fight in a war that was not remotely justified.

Based on what I said, you think that I believe that arresting a few terrorists will make me safe? Let me tell you something--your deduction capability is unimpressive, at best.

Losing a limb doesn't mean losing your job
By Patrick O'Driscoll, USA TODAY
FORT CARSON, Colo. — Army Capt. David Rozelle loosens his belt buckle, the one his commander gave him on the eve of the Iraq war, to reveal a 16-word inscription: "Brave Rifles! Veterans!You have been baptized in fire and blood and have come out steel."

He reads it aloud, reciting Gen. Winfield Scott's 1847 address to U.S. cavalrymen during the Mexican-American War.

Less than two months after Rozelle and his troops crossed into Iraq last spring, an anti-tank mine blew off his right foot. In a flash, the inspirational slogan had literal meaning. "I definitely was baptized in blood and steel," he says, referring to his blood and his wrecked Humvee. A bit of shrapnel remains in his leg.

But his limb, which ends 2 inches above the ankle, is now sheathed in an artificial leg and foot. The foot fits into a standard-issue combat boot. Rozelle, 31, is still in the Army — and he intends to return to Iraq.

In today's military, amputation doesn't automatically mean "medical retirement," a discharge because of a disability. High-tech advances in artificial limbs and improved methods of rehabilitation now allow a significant number of amputees to stay in uniform. Some, like Rozelle, may even return to combat. At least 4,400 military men and women have been wounded in action since the United States invaded Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq last year. More than 120 of them have lost a limb. Some have lost two or three.

"We anticipate that up to 40% of all of those injured will be able to return to active duty," says Chuck Scoville, administrator of Ward 57, the amputee wing at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. It is the military's hub for amputation surgery and rehabilitation. "A lot of the guys want to stay. They're just amazing."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-05-05-cover-fit-to-serve_x.htm

What you say serves a purpose...

It shows that you have more pity on our soldiers than the soldiers themselves...

THAT is a pity...

aps said:

At best? Dang. According to what you said...that is exactly what you lead people to believe. By not acknowledging that Saddam's Iraq was every bit a part of the decay in this civilization that has bred terrorism you do those that have died and lost limbs an injustice.

You dare me? Good one. I have been to the funerals of Marines. I, like so many, had to pull burial duty during my time between Iraq deployments and have talked with the families. It doesn't change the fact that people die in war or lose limbs. Maybe my time has desensitized me towards such things. Don't be so dramatic. This isn't Hollywood. By the way, I'm the guy that hands over the flag to the family member.

What exactly "justifies" a war for you and what exactly do you not find ethical? Are you one of those that think abuse, mass murder, and oppression is OK, because the individual performing such acts within his borders is "sovereign" and it doesn't affect you? Because you are unable to identify the causes of Islamic extremism and are unable to understand the sacrifices necessary to safe guard a terrorist free future does not mean that your opinion on what is and is not justified is true. "Let me tell you something--your deduction capability is unimpressive, at best.":2wave:

Last edited:
GySgt said:
What exactly "justifies" a war for you and what exactly do you find ethical?
Oh Gunny...you set yourself up!....

You're not going to get an honest answer...

You're gonna get a whole bunch of answers that start with, "Let me tell you what it's NOT!", followed by a GWB tirade...

I personally think the whole investigation is just and attempt by the dems to say "I Gotcha." Every politiical pundit and politician said that Saddam had WOMD prior to the war and most believe he was and imminent threat............The Senate voted almost unanimously to give the president the authority to invade Iraq..........That is the final line........

We are in Iraq now and we need to finish the job and we will not leave until that is done no matter how much people on the left whine.........

We will not have another Viet Nam where millions of innocent people died after we left.......

Get over it already...........

GySgt said:

The Democrats?

Republican Senator Frist: “Since I’ve been majority leader, I have to say, not with the previous Democratic leader or the current Democratic leader, have I ever been slapped in the face with such an affront to the leadership of this grand institution,” Frist said. “For the next year and a half I can’t trust Sen. Reid,” he added.

Boo hoo hoo

Iriemon said:
The Democrats?

Republican Senator Frist: “Since I’ve been majority leader, I have to say, not with the previous Democratic leader or the current Democratic leader, have I ever been slapped in the face with such an affront to the leadership of this grand institution,” Frist said. “For the next year and a half I can’t trust Sen. Reid,” he added.

Boo hoo hoo

Yes..he is a baby. Now all you need is the entire party or at least a vast majority of them to start whining and you can compare.:roll:

Navy Pride said:
We are in Iraq now and we need to finish the job and we will not leave until that is done no matter how much people on the left whine.........

We will not have another Viet Nam where millions of innocent people died after we left.......

Get over it already...........

I agree with Navy. We will not leave while the Bush admin is impower because that would undiputeably expose this mistake as the biggest foreign policy disaster since the Bay of Pigs.

Bush will stick it out because he's not man enough to admit a mistake. The next president will pull the troops out and then Bush apologists can say it's all his or her fault.

Iriemon said:
I agree with Navy. We will not leave while the Bush admin is impower because that would undiputeably expose this mistake as the biggest foreign policy disaster since the Bay of Pigs.

Bush will stick it out because he's not man enough to admit a mistake. The next president will pull the troops out and then Bush apologists can say it's all his or her fault.

We will be out before Bush leaves. We're looking at pull outs next year. I've said all of this before. Remember I said it.

Bush apologists. I love that. The term is "terror's apologists". This is a term that goes way back before Bush became President. It refers to individuals that would rather apologize to terrorists and look for ways to pull blame onto themselves rather than place blame where it belongs and make the terrorists "angry." ...Bush apologists...Bwahahaha.

GySgt said:
Yes..he is a baby. Now all you need is the entire party or at least a vast majority of them to start whining and you can compare.:roll:

They are all a bunch of whiny babies IMO! LOL

GySgt said:
We will be out before Bush leaves. We're looking at pull outs next year. I've said all of this before. Remember I said it.

Bush apologists. I love that. The term is "terror's apologists". This is a term that goes way back before Bush became President. It refers to individuals that would rather apologize to terrorists and look for ways to pull blame onto themselves rather than place blame where it belongs and make the terrorists "angry." ...Bush apologists...Bwahahaha.

Thanks! :)

GySgt said:
How can anyone watching the situation over the years not see the Democratic Party as a bunch of temper tantrumed babies? First they paraded around touting the notion of filibusting. Now they have imposed a "closed session" of the Sentate. What's next...throw themselves on the ground and hold their breaths?
How can you write this? Have you already forgotten that during the Clinton years when the Republicans had a majoprity in the Senate they would never let his judicial nominees ever get out of committee and to the floor for that oh so precious "up and down vote"? Remember now?

That was a tactic used by Republicans to stop judicial appointments. I find it remarkeable that you just wrote what you did...seems a whole lot one sided, you know? The Republicans manipulated the rules and that's OK? The Democrats do the same and you call them cry babies and advocate the overturning of the minority voice that our Constitution created so that it takes more than a simple majority to "win."

PLEASE!

Back
Top Bottom