• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Haley out!

She needs to concede and endorse, not just drop out.
There is definitely a symbiotic relationship at play here. Donald cannot afford to alienate non-MAGAs, and so long as he has the GOP completely cowed Haley will have to show fealty if she wants to remain viable in the party.

I wouldn't have voted for her in the general because I believe the GOP is too far gone in all its ranks. But she was at least a bit more pragmatic than MAGA. If I had one hope it would be that she won't sell out (which I fully expect her to do) and would still oppose the continuing slide of the GOP toward Trumpism. Maybe even defecting to a more centrist and logical third party.
A candidate like her might have served to help swing things around in the party, since she represented more of the old brand Republicans. Her losing in the grand fashion she did makes it pretty clear where the GOP is heading and where its base is on a wide variety of issues. I don't think we'll be seeing more establishment GOP candidates for a good while; not until some rise from the ranks. It's important to remember that the Trump aligned candidates for congressional seats didn't fare that well, so I don't think all hope is lost for the party.

I wouldn't have voted for her in the general because I believe the GOP is too far gone in all its ranks. But she was at least a bit more pragmatic than MAGA. If I had one hope it would be that she won't sell out (which I fully expect her to do) and would still oppose the continuing slide of the GOP toward Trumpism. Maybe even defecting to a more centrist and logical third party.
Trumpism's triumph over American conservatism/Republican party is complete.

There is definitely a symbiotic relationship at play here. Donald cannot afford to alienate non-MAGAs, and so long as he has the GOP completely cowed Haley will have to show fealty if she wants to remain viable in the party.
The modest sport Haley had in the election in several states were from democrat spoilers. In the end I do not see her support as significant. It's now head to head with Biden. It's going to be: "are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?"

This is going to be a real concern for the Biden camp as well. I've mentioned this before, but the charity work I do gives me the opportunity to talk to young people and whenever the election comes up in conversation, the expression of sitting it out is pretty prevalent.
Agreed.

I'm sorry to see it.

There is not only potential harm in Trump being re-elected, there is also significant potential harm in him even being the nominee. He needs to leave the political scene completely.

No one else seems to be within miles of him now. One can only hope that the Republicans will find a plausible reason to disqualify him. But that seems pretty unlikely.

I'm sorry to see it.

There is not only potential harm in Trump being re-elected, there is also significant potential harm in him even being the nominee. He needs to leave the political scene completely.

No one else seems to be within miles of him now. One can only hope that the Republicans will find a plausible reason to disqualify him. But that seems pretty unlikely.
Unfortunately it's been clearly demonstrated that there is no path for non MAGAs within the party. If one expects to remain viable within it then kissing Trump's ass (or at least quietly going along) is the only option.

Unfortunately it's been clearly demonstrated that there is no path for non MAGAs within the party. If one expects to remain viable within it then kissing Trump's ass (or at least quietly going along) is the only option.

I don't see that that has been "clearly demonstrated", although it does appear likely. Unfortunately, there are no counter-examples at the moment.

She never had a chance. Money kept her going, but reality finally sunk in.....at least she has some memories.
Now the reality of just how weak Trump is within the Republican core can set in ..... 1/3 of people willing to vote in the primary (generally the hard core) are seemingly never-Trumpers. That is not going to win you an election when you are doing nothing to expand your base.

Thanks Nikki for exposing another of Trump's election weaknesses and providing video for future campaign ads.

I don't like her or her politics, but if she went head to head with Joe and I was convinced she would move Republicans away from Trump, I would have voted for her in the general. That is not an indictment of my support for Biden, but a testament to how I feel about two strong (and sane) political parties in American politics.

I don't see that that has been "clearly demonstrated", although it does appear likely. Unfortunately, there are no counter-examples at the moment.
I beg to differ, but it's neither here nor there.

A non-MAGA Republican is hamstrung within the Trumplican Party.

She needs to concede and endorse, not just drop out.
It would be a stupid move for Haley to endorse Trump. She just galvanized the never-Trumpers within the core of the Republican party. It would be hypocritical to now endorse Trump as she would expose herself as a hypocrite and fraud for no gain. She is weak, so she may do so; but at this point its foolish.

Yea, Trump will never let us forget what a moron he is.
What an idiot he is. He can not win if he can not expand his base. If he refuses to expand that base, he is toast. He does not have the luxury of telling Republicans they are not welcome in his tent.

It would be a stupid move for Haley to endorse Trump. She just galvanized the never-Trumpers within the core of the Republican party. It would be hypocritical to now endorse Trump as she would expose herself as a hypocrite and fraud for no gain. She is weak, so she may do so; but at this point its foolish.

Not trying to be the word police, but "hypocritical" and "inconsistent" mean two different things.

For Haley to endorse Trump would be inconsistent with her recent positions.

If, on the other hand, she condemned people who vote for Trump while voting for him herself (or vice versa), that would be hypocritical.

Her trump endorsement in 5...4...3...2...

Not trying to be the word police, but "hypocritical" and "inconsistent" mean two different things.

For Haley to endorse Trump would be inconsistent with her recent positions.

If, on the other hand, she condemned people who vote for Trump while voting for him herself (or vice versa), that would be hypocritical.
I see your point, but do not agree. So, if we are going to have a nerdy semantic discussion, here is how I see it and why I used "hypocrite"... but I concede how you might not see it the same way. Hypocrite should be a strong word reserved to egregious inconsistency of behaviors vs teachings. I agree its been watered down. I actually am not using he watered down version. I think hypocrite well reflects the circumstance as it would well reflect the outrage one should have should Haley turn and endorse Trump, as it going against her teachings; everything she seemingly represented to us over the past few months. Consider:

She led a movement (galvanizing people) around the notion that Trump was unfit for office. She professed a belief, and in the process of preaching that belief, lead people away from Trump. To turn around and endorse him would not only be inconsistent with her preaching, it would be hypocritical as her actions (endorsing Trump) would be contrary to her stated belief (Trump was unfit to serve) that she asked others to accept as true. She would have played a part (a preacher of the unfitness of Trump) that she then showed not to be true (she was willing to change her preaching to fit the circumstance -- she really did not believe what she espoused).

hypocrite /hĭp′ə-krĭt″/

noun​

1. A person given to hypocrisy.
  2. One who plays a part; especially, one who, for the purpose of winning approbation of favor, puts on a fair outside seeming; one who feigns to be other and better than he is; a false pretender to virtue or piety; one who simulates virtue or piety.
  3. A person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives.

How long before she endorses Trump? I give it til the end of the day.
She's changed with the wind far too many times now to expect anyone to think she stands on principle.

How long before she endorses Trump? I give it til the end of the day.
It’s both sad and fascinating to observe how some Republicans will readily abandon their professed values for the sake of securing political appointments. Numerous Republicans have criticized Trump, calling him a scourge on the Republican Party (Lindsey Graham), an existential threat to democracy and the United States (Marco Rubio), a pathological liar (Ted Cruz), and immoral and corrupt (Mitch McConnell). It’s intriguing to see how the party that champions small government is willing to sacrifice their children’s future for the sake of maintaining power. I may not have agreed with Mitt Romney, but it takes courage and true moral fortitude to do what he did - something that seems to be desperately lacking in the Conservative and Republican movements.

Diving Mullah

Back
Top Bottom