• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun control fuels crime: Just ask Canada

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Let's avoid raising crime in America via gun control laws

And always remember.

When seconds count the police are minutes away

=========================
Defending our constitutional right to self-defense

Contrary to the arguments and false logic on the left, gun control fuels spikes in violent crime. The recent push by Canada to ban handguns is a telling case study, and voters and policymakers here in the U.S. would be wise to scrutinize the consequences.

Instead of reducing crime, this draconian policy has emboldened criminals and left Canadian citizens defenseless. The most damning example has been the recent news from Toronto, one of North America’s largest cities, where police are urging residents to take unprecedented new measures to avoid contact with violent criminals:

“To prevent the possibility of being attacked in your home, leave your key fobs at your front door, because they’re breaking into your home to steal your car. They don’t want anything else.”

This advice from the Toronto Police Service is a nonanswer to crime, and it does more to empower and encourage crime than deter it.

Criminals in Canada already act with no care for the law. Now, they have yet another reason to be confident when planning a home invasion: Their statistical chance of running into an armed homeowner is low — and will eventually be near zero.

A disarmed Canadian populace is leading to a prevalence of “hot burglaries,” i.e., those that occur while the residents are home. Other countries that have strict gun control laws, such the United Kingdom, have similar problems. In fact, a study by the University of Chicago Law School found that half of the burglaries in Canada and the U.K. meet the definition of a “hot burglary,” while only 13% of burglaries in the United States can be defined that way.

Can anyone really be surprised by this gross discrepancy?

Gun control, defunding the police, abolishing bail requirements for criminals, easing criminal sentences, the list goes on and on and on...

Fomenting crime, embolding criminals, all the while criminalizing law abiding citizens - that's quite clearly their agenda.

Only one group stands to benefit from the absolute control that comes from "solving" the crisis the above creates.

And that's the group creating the crisis.

Domestic burglary and break in by country.

View attachment 67500652
From the article

In fact, a study by the University of Chicago Law School found that half of the burglaries in Canadaand the U.K. meet the definition of a “hot burglary,” while only 13% of burglaries in the United States can be defined that way.

From the article

In fact, a study by the University of Chicago Law School found that half of the burglaries in Canadaand the U.K. meet the definition of a “hot burglary,” while only 13% of burglaries in the United States can be defined that way.
This University of Chicago?

CHICAGO — University of Chicago police put out an alert about five off campus robberies that happened in a six-hour span Thursday that all shared similar details.

And always remember.

Uh.

You do realize that even before the handgun ban you weren't allowed to carry handguns on your person for 'self-defense' right?

Also concerning Toronto specifically, the police's embarrassing gaffes aside, robberies are lower than they were 10 years ago, and any increase in armed robbery preceded the handgun ban:

And always remember.

Yeah, I wish Canada could be as safe and crime-free as the USA. I think we should copy you guys exactly.

But honestly, much as I approve of Canadian gun laws for Canada (though I'd rather be allowed to carry a handgun while hunting) I'm on record here supporting Americans right to arm themselves however they see fit, up to and including full-auto. I live far enough from the border that the racket won't keep me awake at night and I'm at no risk from strays. And I'll buy shares in Remington or whoever produces the most ammunition.

Yeah, I wish Canada could be as safe and crime-free as the USA. I think we should copy you guys exactly.

But honestly, much as I approve of Canadian gun laws for Canada (though I'd rather be allowed to carry a handgun while hunting) I'm on record here supporting Americans right to arm themselves however they see fit, up to and including full-auto. I live far enough from the border that the racket won't keep me awake at night and I'm at no risk from strays. And I'll buy shares in Remington or whoever produces the most ammunition.

So you don't really approve of Canadian gun laws. You're at least opposed to the one that prohibits you from peacefully carrying a handgun while hunting.

So you don't really approve of Canadian gun laws. You're at least opposed to the one that prohibits you from peacefully carrying a handgun while hunting.
Yes, I approve of our gun laws. Don't play this game. Just because I would like to see one change in the whole list does not imply disapproval.
Jesus. "A list of twenty rules! One of them he doesn't like! He disapproves of the list!"
Do you lot know or care what honest discourse is or do you just focus on making juvenile gotchas?

Yes, I approve of our gun laws. Don't play this game. Just because I would like to see one change in the whole list does not imply disapproval.
Jesus. "A list of twenty rules! One of them he doesn't like! He disapproves of the list!"
Do you lot know or care what honest discourse is or do you just focus on making juvenile gotchas?

You're not in favor of the entirety of your Canadian gun control.

Most US gun rights advocates aren't in favor of the entirety of US gun control.

That's a pretty similar approach. I think you just like getting snarky about the US.

Gun control, defunding the police, abolishing bail requirements for criminals, easing criminal sentences, the list goes on and on and on...

Fomenting crime, embolding criminals, all the while criminalizing law abiding citizens - that's quite clearly their agenda.

Only one group stands to benefit from the absolute control that comes from "solving" the crisis the above creates.

And that's the group creating the crisis.
Bull ☮️

The article isn’t about murder. It’s about hot burglaries.
So having a gun to defend you car would accomplish what?

Back
Top Bottom