• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun Control Compromise

***IF***

Do read.
The Constitution wouldn't be the tool to ban guns. It would take the repeal of the 2nd and then a new law passed by Congress.

You may as well write "if the Constitution made gunpowder an inert mixture".

The Constitution wouldn't be the tool to ban guns. It would take the repeal of the 2nd and then a new law passed by Congress.

You may as well write "if the Constitution made gunpowder an inert mixture".

Of course

You'd have to pass an amendment to repeal the 2nd Amendment, and ban guns
Then Congress would be able to pass a law to ban guns

This is how alcoholic drink was banned. The 18th Amendment was ratified
Then Congress passed the Volstead Act

I'm not aware that the Constitution has ever been used to convict anyone, it can however grant constitutional authority for laws that do give authority for criminal proceedings.

I realized that my compromise would have insurmountable obstacles. I'm asking, if it could be done, would you accept the compromise?
To draw a parallel, if gravity weren't a thing, would you accept riding a unicorn to work?

Any area of the country down to cities and towns can pass any gun control legislation they want but any city or town is also free to not have any gun control legislation they are against. No higher authority is allowed to override the city or town's legislation. A county cannot override a city, a state cannot override counties or cities and the federal government cannot override states, cities or counties. Basically we have the 2A at the federal level but any cities or towns can have their own laws, superceding 2A. Now, keep in mind this is a COMPROMISE between the two sides. I'm very well aware that those on both sides can tear my compromise idea apart on legal grounds. I'm just kind of wondering, disregarding the Constitution and other legal arguments, would this be a good compromise to you? I guess, since this is my thread, I would be in favor of the compromise.

hell no, even taking in to consideration your knowledge and disclaimer bolded above that bat shit insane and everything America is not. This is one of the worse ideas i have ever read and would not be a compromise that i can see in anyway and would be an absolute nightmare.

I believe that in mythology, only virgins could ride unicorns.
Hell, since we're dealing with non-reality anyway, let's say you were again pure and chaste.

Any area of the country down to cities and towns can pass any gun control legislation they want but any city or town is also free to not have any gun control legislation they are against. No higher authority is allowed to override the city or town's legislation.

This is pretty ****ed up.

Exactly why the country in is the midst of a civil war.

We need a strong central government and abolishment of states rights.

Any area of the country down to cities and towns can pass any gun control legislation they want but any city or town is also free to not have any gun control legislation they are against. No higher authority is allowed to override the city or town's legislation. A county cannot override a city, a state cannot override counties or cities and the federal government cannot override states, cities or counties. Basically we have the 2A at the federal level but any cities or towns can have their own laws, superceding 2A. Now, keep in mind this is a COMPROMISE between the two sides. I'm very well aware that those on both sides can tear my compromise idea apart on legal grounds. I'm just kind of wondering, disregarding the Constitution and other legal arguments, would this be a good compromise to you? I guess, since this is my thread, I would be in favor of the compromise.

The Supreme Court ruled twice that states aren't bound by the Second Amendment.

The Second Amendment is to protect the states from the fed, and if states want to give up those rights fine.

But that's changed now, for some reason.

And the Supreme Court is refusing to hear gun cases, so a lot of restrictive laws stand. You can't buy an assault style rifle in New York, for example.

A right implies that you have the freedom to choose exercise it or to not exercise it. If they choose to not exercise their 2nd amendment then that is their right. They however do not have the right to deprive others who do want to exercise that right and live in what ever city they want.
You touched on it, and the OP completely ignores it. Rights are something only individuals possess. Government has no rights, nor are rights something the government can bestow. Every individual, regardless of where they live, has the individual right to keep and bear arms for any reason they desire, and government at every level (local, State, and federal) is prohibited from infringing on that individual right.

This is pretty ****ed up.

Exactly why the country in is the midst of a civil war.

We need a strong central government and abolishment of states rights.
In other words, you want to cram your values down 100% of the country.

The Supreme Court ruled twice that states aren't bound by the Second Amendment.
Repeatedly you are corrected on this false assertion, yet repeatedly you spew the garbage, hoping this time someone won't call you on your bullshit.

McDonald v. Chicago majority opinion page 2 said:
Caetano v. Massachusetts concurring opinion by J. Alito page 2 said:

If you have a citation that overturns McDonald and Caetano, please provide it. Otherwise, stop lying about it. It cannot be simple ignorance after being corrected on so many occasions.

Yes, I do realize that. That's the reason for the compromise. Only the local areas would have the say and higher up governments would have no say. The state or the feds could not force gun control legislation on an area that did not want it. In my compromise, the left could not mandate gun control on those localities that refused it, no matter what the left wanted to do.
Why would anti-2nd amend trash agree to this so called compromise? They want to severely restrict or ban guns for everybody.Not just those in liberal controlled cities. And what would stop them from backing out this so called compromise years down the road?

Last edited:
Both a bad idea and unworkable. Constitutional rights don't work the way you want. They can't be violated by ANY government, federal, state, county or city.

On a detail level this would result in a crazy quilt of conflicting laws. The town you live in allows concealed carry, so you put a pistol in your holster and go out the door. Two miles away, that's illegal, then legal again, then illegal in the next town. Crazy.

Both a bad idea and unworkable. Constitutional rights don't work the way you want. They can't be violated by ANY government, federal, state, county or city.

On a detail level this would result in a crazy quilt of conflicting laws. The town you live in allows concealed carry, so you put a pistol in your holster and go out the door. Two miles away, that's illegal, then legal again, then illegal in the next town. Crazy.
I agree BUT I stated at the beginning that it was unworkable and impossible but wondered if it COULD be worked out, would you (both sides) accept the compromise? I realized in the OP that this was nothing but pure fantasy. We seem to have a situation where we have blue city areas and red suburban and rural areas and that the only logical solution is to let the blue have what the blue wants and let the red parts of the country have what they want. In both cases, not many in the blue areas would have their 2A rights violated because they would want gun control in the first place and in the red areas not many people would want gun control anyway. I guess I'm asking that if your scenario could be compromised on in some way, would you accept this compromise? Both sides seem hell bent on forcing their values on the 100% and that compromise is simply not even a question to be considered.

It's similar to abortion in that the left seems to think the issue is 100% about women's rights while the right think it is 100% about the legalized murder of fetuses, there is nothing to compromise on with either side.

I agree BUT I stated at the beginning that it was unworkable and impossible but wondered if it COULD be worked out, would you (both sides) accept the compromise?
No. There's no compromise here. It's just a license for localities to impose whatever limits they want with nothing being offered to gun owners.

A compromise means both sides get some version of something they want.

No. There's no compromise here. It's just a license for localities to impose whatever limits they want with nothing being offered to gun owners.

A compromise means both sides get some version of something they want.
You are defending people who don't want to exercise 2A rights anyway because they are for gun control. The compromise is, blue areas get what they want and it doesn't infringe on the rights of anyone (except a very, very small minority) and, in return, the right get what they want, a guarantee written in stone that in red areas no gun control issues can be passed at any higher level and imposed on them against their will (which can and does happen). Of course that creates obstacles on BOTH sides but that is what the idea of compromise is. Both sides seem unwilling to compromise in any way, shape, or form, just as on the abortion issue. It's either my way or the highway, no compromise, and I'm going to force my values on the 100%. You seem to be willing to defend to the bitter end the 2A rights of people who don't want 2A rights in the first place.

Last edited:
You are defending people who don't want to exercise 2A rights anyway because they are for gun control. The compromise is, blue areas get what they want and it doesn't infringe on the rights of anyone (except a very, very small minority) and, in return, the right get what they want, a guarantee written in stone that in red areas no gun control issues can be passed at any higher level and imposed on them against their will (which can and does happen).
I'm a gun owner in a blue state and the idea doesn't appeal to me at all. If my city had their way all guns would be confiscated. So no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom