• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Growing number of GOP senators oppose impeachment trial

Hamish Howl

Horrible Bastard
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
So it looks like Marco Rubio is totally okay with a little treason.

“I think the trial is stupid, I think it’s counterproductive,” said Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.. He said that “the first chance I get to vote to end this trial, I’ll do it” because he believes it would be bad for the country and further inflame partisan divisions.

Wouldn't surprise me to find out all the GOP senators are ok with it. Other than perhaps Romney and maybe Murkowski. Collins of course will be deeply concerned, but she'll be ok with it in the end.

If so, nearly ever Democratic official should be removed from office for "treason." Most MSM commentators should be in prison for "treason" too.

When are they finally going to break it to Chuck and Nancy that Trump is no longer President?

maxresdefault (1).jpg

I'm thinking a lot of GOP Senators would rather stay in their positions of power than take part in the Trump-hating ****-fest.

(But I don't think it'll help them. The Republican rank and file is wise to them.)

Republican Senators are probably not significantly different from the American public in general when it comes to protecting their egos -- their view of themselves. By and large, they've demonstrated fealty to Mr. Donald Trump in both words and, in voting to support his legislation, deeds. To vote for impeachment would be to admit that they were wrong. They would be, through their vote, admitting that not only to themselves but making it an open declaration to the public at large.

Again, they're not significantly different from you and me in this. Given time, and living out of the Trump/Anti-Trump spotlight for a period of time, perhaps decades, they will be able to quietly join the mainstream of American politics without losing face.

But that is then, and this is now.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the prophylactic Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Reminder. I try to respond to all who quote my posts. If you do not get a response from me, it may be that you've made it onto my 'Ignore' list.

Their opposition has nothing to do with right or wrong, and everything to do with maintaining power. Let them oppose the impeachment. Dems needs to immediately nail them for supporting domestic terrorist and an insurrection.

Although, I doubt the Dems would have the courage to do it.

i suppose letting them go on the record as supporting attempted insurrection will have to be good enough.

here's the scary thing to think about : if the insurrection had worked, those lawmakers would have been completely onboard with an illegal Anus P. McPuckerface administration, and many citizens who weren't would be like, "um, well, shit. democracy is broken, and this is really close to a dictatorship now. i hate this, but i've read books. what happens to me if i speak out about this? i think that i might just ho hum my way around it and go to work and pay my bills, because **** that. my name's Paul, and this is between y'all"

it's scary. it didn't happen, but we were close enough to smell that ocean inland when the breeze was right.

No surprise here.

We know Republicans are the party of racist white supremacist.

They have to be. It is the only voter base they have left. Of course sadly it seems the majority of white voters are racists

"Treason" isn't involved. You might need to review the article of impeachment.

Given that impeachment is a process to remove someone from office, and Trump is no longer in office, it is pretty pointless.

Rubio, like virtually every other republican senator, does not want a senate trial because it means they will be on the record, either for or against. That is a lose/lose for them, simple as that.

The alternative is to have the DOJ immediately build a case and bring charges against Trump and his cronies, but that would allow the republicans in the senate to keep their hands from getting dirty.

Rubio, like virtually every other republican senator, does not want a senate trial because it means they will be on the record, either for or against. That is a lose/lose for them, simple as that.

The alternative is to have the DOJ immediately build a case and bring charges against Trump and his cronies, but that would allow the republicans in the senate to keep their hands from getting dirty.

Well we will see what the senate does with it. I believe they get it today

Personally I am enjoying the no trump news. I hope this trial doesn't give trump access to his bully pulpit once again. I would prefer to never hear about trump again.

Last edited:
then they support insurrection.

Well we will see what the senate does with it. I believe they get it today

Personally I am enjoying the no trump news. I hope this trial doesn't give trump access to his bully pulpit once again. I would prefer to never hear about trump again.

Turn on CNN. Wall to wall Trump. Sucks for Biden. This thread is a great example of TDS.

If the Senate fails to convict for Trump’s inciting and insurrection in a final bid to retain power despite his election defeat—and a failure to convict is the base case—that will demonstrate that nothing warrants impeachment and removal/conviction by contemporary standards. That was not the intent of the Constitution’s authors, but that will be the precedent that will be established. Thus, one part of the Constitution will have effectively been nullified. That will reduce disincentives to future self-coup efforts and open the door for some future President to ignore other parts of the Constitution or Supreme Court rulings if he or she possesses strong partisan support in the Senate. In short, the bad precedent will extend far beyond Trump’s fate.

Back
Top Bottom