• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Group homes for aspergers

axelthefox

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I was diagnosed with Aspgergers at a early age. I wonder if some group homes have internet or not. I don't think i could ever live without computer. Don't kid yourself, just go to the mall and see how many kids/adults are hooked on tablets/laptops/iphones.

You can get the Internet on any smart phone so would not need a location with wifi.

You can get the Internet on any smart phone so would not need a location with wifi.

The internet right now comes from a big box that has wires that connect to my computer that is also wireless.

The internet right now comes from a big box that has wires that connect to my computer that is also wireless.

Any cell phone company can hook you up to a phone that goes online. No wires. No big box. Just the phone. That is now probably half of people go online now.

Any cell phone company can hook you up to a phone that goes online. No wires. No big box. Just the phone. That is now probably half of people go online now.

My tablet also has built in wifi.

I was diagnosed with Aspgergers at a early age. I wonder if some group homes have internet or not. I don't think i could ever live without computer. Don't kid yourself, just go to the mall and see how many kids/adults are hooked on tablets/laptops/iphones.

If you are diagnosed and part of your clinical/structural needs are that type of escape, then it will be taken into account.

I would work with your health care provider to help with that selection.

How old are you?

Assburgers is real I say!

42 years old

If you're going to be moved I'd recommend talking to whoever is responsible for your placement.

If your tablet has cellular data, you can probably use it to create a personal hotspot. If your computer is WiFi capable then it can connect to that.

My own personal experience as an Aspie is that my childhood felt like living in a windowless concrete room.
And at age fifteen my experiments with psychedelics, LSD, shrooms and peyote (ALL under the supervision of an experienced trusted friend who acted as a guide) is what broke me OUT of that windowless mental prison. Suddenly I felt human and I began to RELATE TO humans.
I suddenly felt the love and compassion of other people, I suddenly began to adapt and to learn how to harmonize with other people.
And finally, love found me.

I realize every Aspie is different, so this can't be a recommendation, but I don't see a downside as long as the person is under the supervision of a trusted guide, or better yet, a doctor who understands the therapeutic use of psychedelics.

As Leon Russell said, it's an "artificially induced religious experience".
It will change your entire outlook on people and the world in general.

My own personal experience as an Aspie is that my childhood felt like living in a windowless concrete room.
And at age fifteen my experiments with psychedelics, LSD, shrooms and peyote (ALL under the supervision of an experienced trusted friend who acted as a guide) is what broke me OUT of that windowless mental prison. Suddenly I felt human and I began to RELATE TO humans.
I suddenly felt the love and compassion of other people, I suddenly began to adapt and to learn how to harmonize with other people.
And finally, love found me.

I realize every Aspie is different, so this can't be a recommendation, but I don't see a downside as long as the person is under the supervision of a trusted guide, or better yet, a doctor who understands the therapeutic use of psychedelics.

As Leon Russell said, it's an "artificially induced religious experience".
It will change your entire outlook on people and the world in general.
I didn't even know it existed until.it "didn't" anymore.

But it definitely explained me to a tee. I was freakishly bright as a kid, and attributed it to that until I hit puberty. That's when everybody around me learned all the steps to a dance I couldn't even hear the music to. They kept trying to.put me in gifted schools, but they were even weirder than me. I wanted to "belong" to the larger group of people.

As a young adult I did as you did and overhauled the person I was, that my bent mother had contributed to making. Threw out what I didn't like and replaced it with things I thought worked better. I tell people.that the person they know isn't a "real boy".

It has been a challenge socially, but a massive boon functionally. I have more useable skills than anybody I know. 1st round draft pick for the apocalypse. Started as a kid when I realized that the people.who run the world are so stupid or greedy or power hungry that the whole thing was likely to implode at some.point. preparation is a gamble. Skills and knowledge are always with you.

All of this made new jobs super easy. I picked them.for the skills I would learn.

It's definitely a double edged sword, most "handicaps" don't come with a "bonus". There's real.world money in the focus that comes with it. And money makes you "eccentric" when you're weird.

I didn't even know it existed until.it "didn't" anymore.

But it definitely explained me to a tee. I was freakishly bright as a kid, and attributed it to that until I hit puberty. That's when everybody around me learned all the steps to a dance I couldn't even hear the music to. They kept trying to.put me in gifted schools, but they were even weirder than me. I wanted to "belong" to the larger group of people.

As a young adult I did as you did and overhauled the person I was, that my bent mother had contributed to making. Threw out what I didn't like and replaced it with things I thought worked better. I tell people.that the person they know isn't a "real boy".

It has been a challenge socially, but a massive boon functionally. I have more useable skills than anybody I know. 1st round draft pick for the apocalypse. Started as a kid when I realized that the people.who run the world are so stupid or greedy or power hungry that the whole thing was likely to implode at some.point. preparation is a gamble. Skills and knowledge are always with you.

All of this made new jobs super easy. I picked them.for the skills I would learn.

It's definitely a double edged sword, most "handicaps" don't come with a "bonus". There's real.world money in the focus that comes with it. And money makes you "eccentric" when you're weird.

ANOTHER fellow traveler? Wow, there may be more Aspies here than I might have guessed.
Funny thing is, I didn't get officially diagnosed until age 47. Thank you Dallas VA Hospital!
It was actually a relief to finally know what made me such a strange kid...I actually sort of "laughed and cried at the same time".
All the final puzzle pieces fell together. And once again, my mind adapted.

Yes, it's a blessing and a curse at the same time.
I have perfect pitch, I can memorize music or dialogue like a tape recorder, and visual scenes as well.
That comes in mighty handy if you're a film editor, by the way. (ha ha ha) 😏

One bit of advice however, to anyone who is either on the spectrum or who cares about someone who is:

DO NOT EVER LISTEN to ANYTHING from "Autism Speaks" because the fact is, Autism Speaks has NO autistic board members at all, ZERO.
It is a group run by NON-autistic people to advocate FOR autistic people, which is about as big an insult as you can imagine.
It's as if they don't trust spectrum people to be able to advocate for themselves, and I say screw that.
It's just wrong, sorry...and it's a slap in the face to everyone both on the spectrum and their families and friends.

There are plenty of high functioning people on the spectrum who can handle the responsibilities, even if they're non-verbal, as some are.
Me, I WAS indeed quite verbal. I did not speak until almost age three but according to family, when the time came, I just began speaking in full sentences...
And of course, I NEVER SHUT UP! 🤣

And then about a year later I discovered I could read.
No lessons, one day I just picked up a child's book my father had read to me and began reading aloud.
The parents assumed I'd memorized it, until I picked up an issue of LOOK Magazine that had just arrived and began prattling off from that as well.
I don't even know how I just managed to read, I was just suddenly able to read, that's all.

I
ANOTHER fellow traveler? Wow, there may be more Aspies here than I might have guessed.
Funny thing is, I didn't get officially diagnosed until age 47. Thank you Dallas VA Hospital!
It was actually a relief to finally know what made me such a strange kid...I actually sort of "laughed and cried at the same time".
All the final puzzle pieces fell together. And once again, my mind adapted.

Yes, it's a blessing and a curse at the same time.
I have perfect pitch, I can memorize music or dialogue like a tape recorder, and visual scenes as well.
That comes in mighty handy if you're a film editor, by the way. (ha ha ha) 😏

One bit of advice however, to anyone who is either on the spectrum or who cares about someone who is:

DO NOT EVER LISTEN to ANYTHING from "Autism Speaks" because the fact is, Autism Speaks has NO autistic board members at all, ZERO.
It is a group run by NON-autistic people to advocate FOR autistic people, which is about as big an insult as you can imagine.
It's as if they don't trust spectrum people to be able to advocate for themselves, and I say screw that.
It's just wrong, sorry...and it's a slap in the face to everyone both on the spectrum and their families and friends.

There are plenty of high functioning people on the spectrum who can handle the responsibilities, even if they're non-verbal, as some are.
Me, I WAS indeed quite verbal. I did not speak until almost age three but according to family, when the time came, I just began speaking in full sentences...
And of course, I NEVER SHUT UP! 🤣

And then about a year later I discovered I could read.
No lessons, one day I just picked up a child's book my father had read to me and began reading aloud.
The parents assumed I'd memorized it, until I picked up an issue of LOOK Magazine that had just arrived and began prattling off from that as well.
I don't even know how I just managed to read, I was just suddenly able to read, that's all.
Did the same thing with language. Early vocalization, frustration, time passed, full sentence verbalization.

Hey @axelthefox I don't know you or your living situation or even your "level of function" ***(A huge misnomer because one cannot measure aspie function by neurotypical standards)
but I will say this much:
If a doctor ever approaches you with a recommendation for psychedelics, take them up on it.
You have nothing to lose except maybe a day's worth if you have an unpleasant reaction, for which your doctor is well prepared.
But the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of you having a very pleasant, and fascinating reaction instead.
It will open doors in your mind you never knew existed.

Carlos Castaneda has recently been exposed as something of a fraud but not the kind that one would think of as "straight up and outright fraud".
Let's just say he took an incredible amount of "literary license" in making up experiences with people that did not actually exist, except maybe in his mind.
His book went from being a realistic account to being regarded as a work of fiction after his death in 1998.
But his landmark book "The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge", whether fraud or real, is worth considering if only because his imagination shows his heart was in the right place.

And it's not as uncommon as one might think...
Robert Louis Stevenson had barely left home when he wrote "Treasure Island" but it was his imagination, rather than real life experiences, that fueled his passion for this iconic work of his.
He eventually traveled the world but not as a young man.

I'd say the same goes for Castaneda.
I mumbled my way through it, not quite grasping the meaning and import of what he was trying to say.
Indeed, it is lucky I read it PRIOR TO my experimentation with psychedelics however, because suddenly everything I'd read in Don Juan made sense.
Had I read it AFTER my "journey" it's hard to say what I would have thought of the book but it served as a guide every bit as much as my trusted friends I tripped with.

And I am here to say that for me, on a personal level, I credit psychedelics as the change agent I needed the most as a young and very weird teen.
Today, at sixty-four, all of it is just second nature to me now.

I
Did the same thing with language. Early vocalization, frustration, time passed, full sentence verbalization.

Isn't that funny? (funny as in "interesting")
Yeah, my family says that I was "a walking television commercial" because I'd memorize EVERYHING, and I was a natural born mimic.
My brothers said I reminded them of an old man, a tiny "absent minded professor".

Hey, you guys.
I don't give two shits what everyone else thinks of people on the spectrum.
I'm not the least bit shy or ashamed. This is how I was wired as a child, the way I am now is how I rewired myself as a young man.
But deep down that Aspie kid is still there, only now he's a trusted ally instead of a source of shame or embarrassment.
I was a weird kid? **** yeah I was and so what? 😁

I think it would be great if there was a kind of sub-group or sub-forum.
I may be from "another planet" as a kid but I live here now, and it's my home.

1630982751929.png

Isn't that funny? (funny as in "interesting")
Yeah, my family says that I was "a walking television commercial" because I'd memorize EVERYHING, and I was a natural born mimic.
My brothers said I reminded them of an old man, a tiny "absent minded professor".
I also have a huge bank of song lyrics in my head and during my involuntary "vacation" I was the guitar tuner. Had a roommate who.played "eruption" over and over and over., so I knew what an open E sounded like. My meter is great too. I think a lot of that is I was surrounded by music as a kid, my mom liked all types, my first music teacher was a jazz singer.

If I was an aspie parent I would try to expose them to as many things as possible, and not get discouraged as they go through thing after thing. Mine thought I didn't "stick" with things. What was really happening was I was absorbing them until I got my head around them and then on to the next one.

I also had a weird "learning disability", almost failed first grade at the semester. My mom forced me to do flash cards etc.. by Tue end of the year I was consuming books at a prodigious rate and destroying the standardized tests. It wasn't until high school that I realized that I don't like things that require rote memorization. My mind is arranged more "holographically" than most people's are. It wants connections to existing information. Doesn't trust information that doesn't. A high school geometry teacher got through to me on that. Went from a D student to a tutor in one semester. Not sure if that is aspergers or the spacial/conceptual mind I got. Didn't understand that my "whiteboard" is huge and not everybody can manipulate complex machines in their heads until I was neat adulthood.

Hey, you guys.
I'm not the least bit shy or ashamed. This is how I was wired as a child, the way I am now is how I rewired myself as a young man.
But deep down that Aspie kid is still there, only now he's a trusted ally instead of a source of shame or embarrassment.

View attachment 67352463
Supposedly the most common childhood fanatsy of aspie kids is whoever left them here coming back to get them.

Hey, you guys.

View attachment 67352463
I have a son diagnosed with Asperger's. He's grown up a lot now that he's a grown man, but I still see a little there.

Aspergers (known as high functioning autism with the latest DSM) runs in my family and I have been diagnosed as extremely functioning by more than one clinician.

Everybody deals with Asperger's in a different way, so please don't interpret my psychedelic sabbaticals as a flat out recommendation.
That said, however, doctors have realized that there really IS medical value in such treatments and some have begun prescribing carefully supervised sessions, first on an experimental level and now in limited trials, with some remarkable success.

But that is still NOT a recomendation, other than to just keep an open mind about it.
It's not for everyone but for some it's a life changing experience for the better.
It sure was for me.

I still must say I am actually very surprised to see so many Aspies here.
I will bear that in mind from now on because it helps me understand people better.

And again: Do not listen to Autism Speaks.
They're a bunch of normies attempting to decide what's best for autistic people but they bar autistic people from playing ANY managing role in their work.

Everybody deals with Asperger's in a different way, so please don't interpret my psychedelic sabbaticals as a flat out recommendation.
That said, however, doctors have realized that there really IS medical value in such treatments and some have begun prescribing carefully supervised sessions, first on an experimental level and now in limited trials, with some remarkable success.

But that is still NOT a recomendation, other than to just keep an open mind about it.
It's not for everyone but for some it's a life changing experience for the better.
It sure was for me.
I just spent a few years studying human behavior and then I eventually internalized it

may emotional processing for things can be slow though as i have to translate how people communicate into my personal mental language and then retranslate when I respond

Most men have some autism. It's almost cliche when you hear a wife say "you can't leave the house wearing that!" or kicking her husband under the table for saying something insensitive at dinner.

Well, it is cliche. Not "almost."

Back
Top Bottom