• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Government Teaches By Example

Originally posted by Stinger:
I have no reason to believe he was innocent after the court found him guilty of killing the two troopers.

Let's look at a more clear cut case, how about the Atlanta courtroom killer, the guy who shot the judge and police officer in cold blood. Caught on the scene. Do you support the death penalty in that case?
You can say it, but your clearly FOS. If the court released her, then it is prima facia evidence that they didn't believe they could get a conviction or there would have been a re-trial.

Calm2Chaos said:
Answer - NO

Far more whites have been executed then blacks as of Dec 5 2005.

BLACK
34%
HISPANIC
63 6%
WHITE
58%
OTHER
2.3%

Not to mention there are more whites on death row then blacks....

Without taking into account the racial % of the population as a whole those numbers are meaningless.

Billo_Really said:
If she was guilty, they wouldn't have released her!

Specious statement. By her own words the evidence showed she was guilty, they just didn't execute her. She is STILL a felon she is STILL a murderess.

I have no reason to believe he was innocent after the court found him guilty of killing the two troopers.

Let's look at a more clear cut case, how about the Atlanta courtroom killer, the guy who shot the judge and police officer in cold blood. Caught on the scene. Do you support the death penalty in that case?
You can say it, but your clearly FOS. If the court released her, then it is prima facia evidence that they didn't believe they could get a conviction or there would have been a re-trial.

Well first I'm talking about him not her, her is in another message. And you failed to respond to my second part.

That being said she plead guilty to the lessor second degree admitting that the evidence showed her guilt. After 17 years with witnesses gone and evidence who knows where, I find the fact that they allowed her to plead not surprising, of course they were fully prepared to go to trial by there statements. But to say that is was prima facie evidence of her innocences is patent absurdity.

But please inform us of anyone who has been executed whom we now know was perfectly innocent, no ties to the crime at all. Can you name a few?

Billo_Really said:
I guess I'm not surprized that nobody has the balls to discuss the issues raised in post #2. Neo's sure know a lot about cutting and running.

I'm not sure what a Neo is but I must have a pretty big set since a responded directly to your post. I do note that YOU failed to respond in kind to the example I gave to you. Perhaps it is you who is the lacking party here.

Specious statement. By her own words the evidence showed she was guilty, they just didn't execute her. She is STILL a felon she is STILL a murderess.
That's bullshit! Post the proof she said that "in her own words". Her plea bargain agreement stated she did not admit guilt. That is an un-refutable fact. Riddle me this Batman, if she's guilty and they can prove it, why did they release her?

Billo_Really said:
That's bullshit!

Please try to control yourself.

Post the proof she said that "in her own words".

already did in my first post.

Her plea bargain agreement stated she did not admit guilt. That is an un-refutable fact. Riddle me this Batman, if she's guilty and they can prove it, why did they release her?

And her lawyer admitted that according to the transcripts that she acknowledged that the prosecutions evidence indeed was convincing. As far as your second question I answered that also in my previous post. do please try and read what I post I do not repeat myself.

Now why have you not responed to my direct questions? This the second time I have asked.

I have no reason to believe he was innocent after the court found him guilty of killing the two troopers
Do you not understand that you can't point to that guilty verdict as your proof if that guilty verdict was over-turned? Which means there was no guilty verdict in the case. So you can't use that as a phoenix and ressurrect it out of convenience.

I'm against the death penalty in any and all cases. I also think that people convicted of murder 1, have lost their right to live in society.

Well first I'm talking about him not her, her is in another message. And you failed to respond to my second part.
Well I just did, so we can put that one to bed.

That being said she plead guilty to the lessor second degree admitting that the evidence showed her guilt. After 17 years with witnesses gone and evidence who knows where, I find the fact that they allowed her to plead not surprising, of course they were fully prepared to go to trial by there statements. But to say that is was prima facie evidence of her innocences is patent absurdity.
This is where you are mis-representing the facts. How could she admit guilt if her plea bargain was done without an admission of such? That was the specific nature of her plea bargain.

Jacobs and her companion, Jesse Tafero, were sentenced to death for the murder of two policemen at a highway rest stop in 1976. A third co-defendant received a life sentence after pleading guilty and testifying against Jacobs and Tafero. The jury recommended a life sentence for Jacobs, but the judge overruled the jury and imposed death. A childhood friend and filmmaker, Micki Dickoff, then became interested in her case. Jacobs's conviction was overturned on a federal writ of habeas corpus in 1992. Following the discovery that the chief prosecution witness had given contradictory statements, the prosecutor accepted a plea in which Jacobs did not admit guilt, and she was immediately released. Jesse Tafero, whose conviction was based on much of the same highly questionable evidence, had been executed in 1990 before new evidence had been uncovered. (See Jacobs v. Singletary, 952 F.2d 1282 (11th Cir. 1992); “Play revives Broward death-penalty case,” Miami Herald, October 13, 2002).

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=45&did=1149
As far as the evidence after 17 years, I'm sure they still have the failed lie detector report from the prosecutors primary witness (the one he chose to with-hold and not tell the defense).

But please inform us of anyone who has been executed whom we now know was perfectly innocent, no ties to the crime at all. Can you name a few?
Stop playing your little bullshit word game. I posted 116 of them in post #2 of this thread. They're a little hard to miss.

This is no attack on you, but I find it pretty disgusting that in light of new evidence admitted into each of these cases, the courts ruling these people should be removed from death row and released, you somehow maintain they were still guilty. Do you feel that way for the DNA cases as well? Do you even care about the truth?

You have a right to your opinion and I thank you for them. However, on my end, I don't see a whole lot of humanity in them. If I am wrong about this, please let me know.

And her lawyer admitted that according to the transcripts that she acknowledged that the prosecutions evidence indeed was convincing. As far as your second question I answered that also in my previous post. do please try and read what I post I do not repeat myself.

Now why have you not responed to my direct questions? This the second time I have asked.
I went back and re-read the source you provided. And you are right about her not being Mother Theresa. You are also right about this being one of those cases in a grey area where we just don't know if she is or isn't. Do to all the years and contradictions involving this case. So I apologize if I got a little heated. But this case is not the issue, nor was it my original point. It was one of the many examples of capitol cases that were not administered with the best jurisprudence (you might say). And the fact that these are capitol cases where someone could lose their life, I would think the evidence against anyone would be overwhelming. And in light of the fact that 116 were released for one reason or another, that tells me we got serious problems with these type of cases and the evidence was not.

Billo_Really said:
Do you not understand that you can't point to that guilty verdict as your proof if that guilty verdict was over-turned? Which means there was no guilty verdict in the case. So you can't use that as a phoenix and ressurrect it out of convenience.

His guilty verdict was not overturned.

I'm against the death penalty in any and all cases. I also think that people convicted of murder 1, have lost their right to live in society.

So it doesn't matter if they are guilty or not.

This is where you are mis-representing the facts. How could she admit guilt if her plea bargain was done without an admission of such? That was the specific nature of her plea bargain.

It was a plea BARGIN.

>>Jacobs, now 57, pleaded guilty in 1992 to second-degree murder of two police officers under an "Alford plea," in which she accepted a guilty verdict without abandoning her claim of innocence.
A transcript of her plea-bargain hearing says she acknowledged that prosecutors could prove she took part in the fatal shootings if the charges went to trial. In return for her plea, she was released after nearly 17 years in prison. Jacobs' boyfriend had been executed for the crimes.<<

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...onerated_x.htm

She took part in the shootings, she was/is guilty. She remains a felon and a murderess.

Further in the USA Today story
"Meanwhile, the Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC), an anti-capital punishment group, says it does not consider Jacobs (played in the film by Sarandon) or Cook (played by Quinn) as innocent because both accepted plea bargains. DPIC Executive Director Richard Dieter says his organization has tracked 117 others "with evidence of innocence" who have been released from death sentences since 1973, but he says Jacobs and Cook don't qualify."

Even groups on your side don't agree with your position.

Quote:

Stop playing your little bullshit word game.

Again please try to control your emotions.
I posted 116 of them in post #2 of this thread. They're a little hard to miss.

You are claiming all 116 were executed and we now have absolute evidence they were all innocent? I don't think so. Try again. Give me the name of a person who was execute whom we later found out beyond any doubt that they were actaully innocent. And why do you call that simple salient question by the words you used. Can't stand to have your proclimations questioned or something?

This is no attack on you, but I find it pretty disgusting that in light of new evidence admitted into each of these cases, the courts ruling these people should be removed from death row and released, you somehow maintain they were still guilty.

Because most were not removed from death row because they were innocent. It was because a judge over-ruled the death sentence and left them to serve out a prison sentence. Going from murder in the first to murder in the second is NOT an exoneration.

Do you feel that way for the DNA cases as well? Do you even care about the truth?

Feel what way? If the evidence exonerates someone then they should be let out of prison and properly compensated. But you and those who make the same defenses as you do confuse getting off death row to serve a life sentence or at the least a long term with a declaration of innocence. Most of the time it isn't, it is a technicality.

You have a right to your opinion and I thank you for them. However, on my end, I don't see a whole lot of humanity in them. If I am wrong about this, please let me know.

And I see that your arguements have weaken to the point of having to get personal with it. So be it.

And in light of the fact that 116 were released for one reason or another, that tells me we got serious problems with these type of cases and the evidence was not.

It tells me the appealate system works pretty good. Have we ever executed someone who we now know beyond doubt that they were innocent, no one has produce a name in all the years I have asked.

As far as Williams we are now free of this animal and no longer have to deal with him nor apply valuable resouces keeping him in prison where he could work on sculpturing his body.

It tells me the appealate system works pretty good. Have we ever executed someone who we now know beyond doubt that they were innocent, no one has produce a name in all the years I have asked.

As far as Williams we are now free of this animal and no longer have to deal with him nor apply valuable resouces keeping him in prison where he could work on sculpturing his body.
Rueben Cantu. See the link for his story. http://www.virtualp.us/blog/?p=1280

Do you believe in St. Paul?

You are claiming all 116 were executed and we now have absolute evidence they were all innocent? I don't think so. Try again. Give me the name of a person who was execute whom we later found out beyond any doubt that they were actaully innocent. And why do you call that simple salient question by the words you used. Can't stand to have your proclimations questioned or something?
I wouldn't mind it if you would just get my proclimation right. Show me where I said the 116 were executed. They were on death row and evidence came in after the trial that proved they shouldn't have been there in the first place! So the system is inherrently flawed, and it errored in their cases.

Billo_Really said:
I think that was a condition of the plea bargain if that was the case. I haven't seen that statement in her transcripts. Mainly because, I haven't seen her transcripts. But I would think that if they could prove she took part in the shootings, they wouldn't be giving her a plea bargain and releasing her from prison with that being closure for the case. No parole. No probation. Exoneration.

I do not want the guilty walking the streets. If they release someone after 17 years, I doubt she was guilty. We live in a prison state. Releasing people is the last thing on the govenments' mind.

It is interesting they call it the Dept. of Corrections. What are they correcting?

There correcting the problem we have by these people being on the streets and not in jail...

Billo_Really said:
Rueben Cantu. See the link for his story. http://www.virtualp.us/blog/?p=1280
http://www.virtualp.us/blog/?p=1280

"Doubts are being cast..............."

I said without a doubt. There are lots of doubt about the recantations. If indeed Cantu, no angel to be sure he shot a policeman a few months after this murder, did not take part in this murder then Garza should be charged with murder for fingering Cantu.

" In the wake of the recent revelations, Bexar Co. District Attorney Susan Reed (a former district judge who in the late Eighties denied one of Cantu's appeals) says her office will reopen and review the Cantu case."

"Kathy Walt, spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Perry, seemed less than impressed with the recent revelations – the recanted testimonies are hardly "unique," she said. "We've had these kinds of confessions before in other death-penalty cases," she told the daily. "It's happened before.""

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2005-12-09/pols_naked5.html

I await their findings.

Do you believe in St. Paul?

No.

Originally posted by Calm2Chaos:
There correcting the problem we have by these people being on the streets and not in jail...
70% of the people in prison are there for victimless crimes. Like drug charges. Something, that at one time was legal, then we get a bunch of hypocritical self-rightous bastards in a room that say, "From now on, this _____ is illegal."

However, it is OK for the CIA to kill people in Chile, El Salvador and Nicaragua.

116 people have been exonerated and released from death row. That means our judicial system screwed up 116 times that we know of. When you look at the total number of people on death row, there's a good chance we executed the innocent.

Back
Top Bottom