• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Got into a pretty bad car accident

Nomad4Ever

Dark Brandon Acolyte
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
On my way to my national guard, it’s a bit of a drive so I come up the night before and stay in a hotel. A semi broke down in the highway and it was pitch black no cars coming towards me that might have lit him up. Didn’t see it until my own headlights got to him but by then I was maybe 30 feet away. Swerved but I still head dead on the passenger side going about 80 MPH.

I’m in the hospital right now and I’ve let all the important people know about my situation. But my car is completely wrecked and I don’t even want to know how much this is going to cost me.

Anyone been is a similar situation before? It hasn’t really sunk in yet how big of an impact this is going to have.

Last edited:
On my way to my national guard, it’s a bit of a drive so I come up the night before and stay in a hotel. A semi broke down in the highway and it was pitch black no cars coming towards me that might have lit him up. Didn’t see it until my own headlights got to him but by then I was maybe 30 feet away. Swerved but I still head dead on the passenger side going about 80 MPH.

Luckily I’m mostly ok. I’m in the hospital right now and I’ve let all the important people know about my situation. But my car is completely wrecked and I don’t even want to know how much this is going to cost me.

Anyone been is a similar situation before? It hasn’t really sunk in yet how big of an impact this is going to have.

Thank God you are alive though.
Sorry this happened to you.
Please keep us all updated --- without saying you are okay.

We all hope you're okay.

Luckily I’m mostly ok. I’m in the hospital right now and I’ve let all the important people know about my situation. But my car is completely wrecked and I don’t even want to know how much this is going to cost me.

Damn, I am so sorry....really glad you're "mostly ok".

When you can, contact your insurance agent.

Good luck. And thanks for letting us know. Stay in touch.

I’m in the hospital right now and I’ve let all the important people know about my situation. But my car is completely wrecked and I don’t even want to know how much this is going to cost me.

Wow...really sorry to hear. I haven't been in a situation like that one, but the key thing right now is your health. When you can, notify your insurance company and they'll take it from there.

Last edited:

I am so glad that you are okay. That is quite the impact velocity. I agree with the earlier advice to remove details from the OP while you can as should anybody who quoted you. And for now, you should get some rest and focus on healing and centering yourself.

I am so glad that you are okay. That is quite the impact velocity. I agree with the earlier advice to remove details from the OP while you can as should anybody who quoted you. And for now, you should get some rest and focus on healing and centering yourself.
Thank you. I’ve had all my scans done and I’m just laying in the hospital right now trying to distract myself and not stress out.

You wouldn’t believe I’m alive looking at the car, or what’s left of it. If I hadn’t swerved looking at the passenger seat I probably wouldn’t be.

Thank you. I’ve had all my scans done and I’m just laying in the hospital right now trying to distract myself and not stress out.

You wouldn’t believe I’m alive looking at the car, or what’s left of it. If I hadn’t swerved looking at the passenger seat I probably wouldn’t be.
May I ask what make and model of vehicle?

Whichever it was, some crash safety design engineers probably earned a fist bump tonight :)

Kinetic energy at 80 mph is 78% more than kinetic energy at 60 mph. That's not even including less time to slow down or swerve.

Don't be in such a hurry next time. ;)

May I ask what make and model of vehicle?

Whichever it was, some crash safety design engineers probably earned a fist bump tonight :)
2020 Prius Prime. I didn’t take a detailed look at it but there was metal sticking into the passenger seat and the roof was caved inwards. But the driver side was mostly ok and the airbag probably saved my face.

Kinetic energy at 80 mph is 78% more than kinetic energy at 60 mph. That's not even including less time to slow down or swerve.

Don't be in such a hurry next time. ;)
I remember watching a vehicle crashing at increments of 10 MPH on YouTube. It was crazy how the car basically got a dent at 60 and then just completely collapsed at anything above 80.

Real life physics learning moment 😬

Wow. Prius is a small car. I'm glad you survived! Important thing now is to rest and recover. I hope you have family there that can watch over you.

Wow. Prius is a small car. I'm glad you survived! Important thing now is to rest and recover. I hope you have family there that can watch over you.
Unfortunately no, and I don’t have anyone that can come get me from the hospital. So I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to do after I’m released.

Unfortunately no, and I don’t have anyone that can come get me from the hospital. So I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to do after I’m released.

Apparently it's a drill weekend. Get ahold of your CO.

2020 Prius Prime. I didn’t take a detailed look at it but there was metal sticking into the passenger seat and the roof was caved inwards. But the driver side was mostly ok and the airbag probably saved my face.
Wow.

2020 Prius Prime does have standard automatic emergency braking. Depending on whether the system was radar or vision based (I'd have to research) I would expect it to have kicked in. These systems can shed velocity very quickly so it's quite possible that it may have shed 10, 20mph just before impact which would go a long way toward protecting you.

And, of course, smaller engine = more flexibility to design a crash structure around that non-deformable block of metal.

I am glad that you did not have somebody in the passenger seat or this night probably would be very different.

The trucker should have had emergency flares lit.

I hope your recovery is fast and without lasting effect.

Busses are a lot safer than cars (though I don't know why, perhaps sheer size.) It would be like getting on a pony after falling off a horse.

Apparently it's a drill weekend. Get ahold of your CO.
Let them know already. I’m sure they are asleep and I’m still like 2h from where I drill. It’s about a 4h drive so I’m 2h from where I live too 🥲

The trucker should have had emergency flares lit.

I hope your recovery is fast and without lasting effect.
Just had his hazards and was partially turned trying to get off the road presumably as his truck broke down, so I couldn’t even really see those and the one that was visible appeared nearly off the road. Maybe had less than a second to react once my headlights got him since I wasn’t using my high beams.

Dude, best wishes, take care of yourself, that sounds pretty nasty.

Let them know already. I’m sure they are asleep and I’m still like 2h from where I drill. It’s about a 4h drive so I’m 2h from where I live too 🥲

I should think your command would be able to help you since you're active this weekend. At least send transportation for you. Good luck.

I do not know where you live, but here in Los Angeles, there are many caregiver agencies. A caregiver will come and take you home.

Also, the TV is full of commercials from lawyers telling accident victims to contact them immediately (in addition to your insurance company).

Best wishes on a fast and complete recovery.

Holy cow. Youre alive so be thankful for that. Get well soon.

Are you 100 miles or closer to Nashville? I would consider coming and giving you a ride home. 👍

Does your insurance policy have a rental car provision? Or, if its a no fault accident you can have the truckers insurance pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom