• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Close To Dumping Trump As Coup Plotters Near Votes Needed To Cause Nomination Cha

Re: GOP Close To Dumping Trump As Coup Plotters Near Votes Needed To Cause Nomination

He has grown into the job, even I have to admit

I think Obama was a below average president, but considering what is coming next. Below average is good. I could certainly live with another four years of Obama if that meant no Trump, no Clinton.

I never thought I'd say I miss the guy, but I miss Obama already and the election hasn't even happened yet.

Re: GOP Close To Dumping Trump As Coup Plotters Near Votes Needed To Cause Nomination

I think Obama was a below average president, but considering what is coming next. Below average is good. I could certainly live with another four years of Obama if that meant no Trump, no Clinton.

I never thought I'd say I miss the guy, but I miss Obama already and the election hasn't even happened yet.

Now I am beginning to understand why some liberals call Obama a great president - because they are already comparing him to either Trump or Hillary. God help us all.

Now I am beginning to understand why some liberals call Obama a great president - because they are already comparing him to either Trump or Hillary. God help us all.

Throw W Bush into that mix, and O'Bummer starts looking like FDR on Steroids.

Perhaps it's just mirror comparisons. When elected all we saw was the lies and the screw ups and the childish self promotion. Surprisingly, he has listened and changed. However, simply looking good against the likes of Hillary and Trump is no reason to wax about a third term.

Ironically, G.W. Bush started out like a good president and ended up one of the worst. It is a strange office, one I would like to study first hand on the stresses and strains. Obama has aged fast, he looks 20 years older than when he went in. He has also matured. He used the word "enemies" real easy then. Now, he seems to be the voice of reason.

He has also, wisely been able to position himself as distant from Hilary, perhaps unapproving while doing the right thing in giving her his backing. History, I think will treat him better than I had tought two years ago.

LOL, I needed a good laugh. Thanks

Perhaps it's just mirror comparisons. When elected all we saw was the lies and the screw ups and the childish self promotion. Surprisingly, he has listened and changed. However, simply looking good against the likes of Hillary and Trump is no reason to wax about a third term.

Ironically, G.W. Bush started out like a good president and ended up one of the worst. It is a strange office, one I would like to study first hand on the stresses and strains. Obama has aged fast, he looks 20 years older than when he went in. He has also matured. He used the word "enemies" real easy then. Now, he seems to be the voice of reason.

He has also, wisely been able to position himself as distant from Hilary, perhaps unapproving while doing the right thing in giving her his backing. History, I think will treat him better than I had tought two years ago.

You may be right about history. I know for the longest time I had ranked him down there with Jimmy Carter. Probably the most honest president in my lifetime, but also the worst. Sometimes situations and events can make or break a president. With Jimmy it was the Misery index and the Iranian Hostages. That is what is remembered.

Would you believe I voted for him, twice? He was an excellent governor and Jimmy is the main reason Georgia didn't go through all gyrations like Mississippi and Alabama over the end segregation and the like. He brought us all together. But he was still a bad president.

You may be right about history. I know for the longest time I had ranked him down there with Jimmy Carter. Probably the most honest president in my lifetime, but also the worst. Sometimes situations and events can make or break a president. With Jimmy it was the Misery index and the Iranian Hostages. That is what is remembered.

Would you believe I voted for him, twice? He was an excellent governor and Jimmy is the main reason Georgia didn't go through all gyrations like Mississippi and Alabama over the end segregation and the like. He brought us all together. But he was still a bad president.

I read a Canadian written piece about Obama's speech last night, and even allowing that he was a Canadian media poster boy until Trudeau V.20 came along it was a revealing piece. In reading it I had to admire Obama not only because I, for once, agree with him, but his steadfast attitude. And, the fact he didn't use it as a political lob. That's statesmanship.

You voted for Jimmy Carter where I would have. However like Hunter S. Thompson who endorsed him, I quickly lost respect.

I agree he was a great governor, according to reports, but the presidency was beyond him. There is a phenomenon in upper management 'beyond the peter principle', where the individual in the position is so far out of his depth he ceases to function at the decision-making level. The Carter White House was plagued with red tape, and the old but true story that Jimmy spent his time organizing play times on the White House tennis courts. Everything I have read, except Carter's own words, shows an almost totally dysfunctional executive.

Carter never really won over his own party. He was hung out to dry on several fronts. The Iran hostage crisis followed the truly foolish decision to allow Shah Reza Pahlavi into the US for surgery. Carter, according to Canadian-Irani historians, completely under estimated the hatred Pahlavi had engendered, and from the reports he made Saddam look tame. But the failed rescue mission, imo, is what did him in, he looked weak and indecisive.

I interviewed Jimmy Cater around 1983, he was going through Vancouver to take in some Pacific salmon fishing, or so we were told. [He was one of two presidents I have met, although George Bush senior was vice president at the time, 1986]. At the time I found him somewhat arrogant. to the point I almost asked him on camera why he agreed to the interview. I was also surprised how easy it was top get past his security detail, but then he was ex-president and probably not worth the $$$

I read a Canadian written piece about Obama's speech last night, and even allowing that he was a Canadian media poster boy until Trudeau V.20 came along it was a revealing piece. In reading it I had to admire Obama not only because I, for once, agree with him, but his steadfast attitude. And, the fact he didn't use it as a political lob. That's statesmanship.

You voted for Jimmy Carter where I would have. However like Hunter S. Thompson who endorsed him, I quickly lost respect.

I agree he was a great governor, according to reports, but the presidency was beyond him. There is a phenomenon in upper management 'beyond the peter principle', where the individual in the position is so far out of his depth he ceases to function at the decision-making level. The Carter White House was plagued with red tape, and the old but true story that Jimmy spent his time organizing play times on the White House tennis courts. Everything I have read, except Carter's own words, shows an almost totally dysfunctional executive.

Carter never really won over his own party. He was hung out to dry on several fronts. The Iran hostage crisis followed the truly foolish decision to allow Shah Reza Pahlavi into the US for surgery. Carter, according to Canadian-Irani historians, completely under estimated the hatred Pahlavi had engendered, and from the reports he made Saddam look tame. But the failed rescue mission, imo, is what did him in, he looked weak and indecisive.

I interviewed Jimmy Cater around 1983, he was going through Vancouver to take in some Pacific salmon fishing, or so we were told. [He was one of two presidents I have met, although George Bush senior was vice president at the time, 1986]. At the time I found him somewhat arrogant. to the point I almost asked him on camera why he agreed to the interview. I was also surprised how easy it was top get past his security detail, but then he was ex-president and probably not worth the $$$

Carter was the result of the first modern primary system elections. Where all 50 states had primaries or caucuses. Some will say 1972 when 28 states had primaries, up from 10-15 for the previous 30 years or so. Some of those were non-binding, just popularity contests. But stop and think about, those smoke filled rooms gave us FDR, IKE, JFK. I didn't include Truman as he took over on the death of FDR and LBJ did the same on the death of JFK.

I never met a president, I really had no inkling to do so. I think Carter biggest mistake with Iran was allowing the Ayatollah Khomeini to return to Iran from France. The Shah was in the process of modernizing Iran which made a lot of the clerics mad at him. Allowing the Ayatollah to return just fueled that and the rest is history as they say. At that time the American military and Iranian military were quite close, under the Shah that is.

I am sure Carter told the Iranian military not to interfere with the uprising and overthrow. Strange, without Carter pressuring France, the Ayatollah would have never returned to Iran and without Carter tell the Iranian Military to stay out of it, the overthrow probably never would have succeeded. Then the Ayatollah pays Carter back by taking the 50 American hostages.

Back
Top Bottom