• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ginsburg's last wish was to 'not be replaced until a new president is installed': report

2018? Correct. And in the one before that, the people voted for HIllary.

ANd also in that one the GOP said it was principle to not bring forth a nominee. Not party power. Principle. Principle.
No, the last Presidential election was in 2016 and Donald Trump won, not Hillary Clinton. He already has the people's consent to follow the Constitution.

That's my point. In the case of RvW the government based the decision based on the right to privacy under the 14th amendment. Basically, creating a right to abortion out of thin air.
That's right, and it should go back to the States.

That's my point. In the case of RvW the government based the decision based on the right to privacy under the 14th amendment. Basically, creating a right to abortion out of thin air.

The Framers of the Constitution did not believe that individual human rights are created by the government. And they made explicit reference to this aspect of the philosophy underpinning the Constitution in the 9th amendment:

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

So when Roe v. Wade was decided the Court did not create the right to an abortion...because it already existed (if you accept the idea that a fetus becomes a human being instead of fetus beginning life as a human being).

Last edited:
You don't actually believe that and are simply regurgitating McConnell's talking points. McConnell is moving the goalpost and literally no one buys it, least of all McConnell.
Pretty ballsy of you to claim you know what I believe more so than i know what I believe - but not surprising, considering you're a self proclaimed "progressive". It's impossible for you to believe anyone could realistically disagree with you.

As for moving the goal posts, goes for the Democrats too if you're being honest. Back in 2016, when it was an Obama nominee to replace Scalia, the slimy Senator Schumer told Republicans to do their jobs and hold hearings and vote on the nominee - now, the slimy Senator suggests that the Republicans should wait.

I could claim you're just regurgitating that position, but I won't insult you.

We'll see what happens - perhaps Democrats have a legal move they can make, but I doubt it. People like Senator Collins in Maine, up for reelection in November, will have to be careful. There are likely several Democrat Senators up for reelection in November in areas carried by President Trump in 2016. There is nothing more important to most conservatives than ensuring that people like Joe Biden don't get to select an appointment to the court - if anything can ensure a Trump reelection, it will be Democrats and moderate Republican Senators holding up this appointment.

Part of the reason Trump was elected was people wanted constitutionalist judges - not activist judges. Being in the liberal echo chamber, the didn't realize this.
No, you wanted activist RW judges. At least admit the truth.

No, the last Presidential election was in 2016 and Donald Trump won, not Hillary Clinton. He already has the people's consent to follow the Constitution.

The people voted for HIllary.

Obama was a Lame Duck... Republicans ruled the Senate.

Had the Senate been Democrat, well... Obama would have had his Boi. Din’t appen. So... quite whining.

I’m not whining. I want the GOP to do this. Prior to the election is better, but whatever. Table’s already been set.

Trump already won the presidency and the Senate

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It's not "the people" but rather an electoral system that allows a minority of the country to make those decisions. A minority of people allowed a Republican to be President twice in the 21st century alone, appointing over four Justices. The Senate is similarly set up, allowing a minority of people to confirm those justices.

So you'll want to be careful before using such language as "the people," because those "people" constitute a minority.
None of the senators won their seat with less votes than his opponent. You are conflating the presidential election with the senate elections. Every senator won by a majority vote.
What your unintentionally advocating for is having all the states redistricted to have equal populations. In all honesty its an interesting concept that I have personally contemplated. The practacle considerations of the transition mechanics are messy but if that could be overcome imagine the big picture ramifications. Depending on if you chose to divide the population into 50 states or another number, the midwest could end up being 1 geographically big state or citys like nyc could end up being their own state.
I know im going a bit off topic but think about it as food for thought. Imagine if we treated states like congressional districts and redrew the lines say every 50 years?

The people voted for HIllary.
In fact the people voted for a few Candidates but Donald Trump won. It seems you. like Hillary, don't understand how a Republic functions, though you really should. That's one of the reasons why the President wants to improve the education system.

In fact the people voted for a few Candidates but Donald Trump won. It seems you. like Hillary, don't understand how a Republic functions, though you really should. That's one of the reasons why the President wants to improve the education system.

I do. If you mean to say Donald Trump should nominate someone due to his office which he won via EC victory, sure. But nothing he does represents the will of the people. He’d have to resign.

I do. If you mean to say Donald Trump should nominate someone due to his office which he won via EC victory, sure. But nothing he does represents the will of the people. He’d have to resign.
He was elected President and can therefore act as President under the Constitutional guidelines. Hillary Clinton is an historical footnote.

Instead of thinking of her children, her grand children, she focuses on her hatred of Trump?

Sure, democrats would never lie...

What difference does it make that RBG had a dying wish - especially favoring a Democrat and being anti-Trump? Is this supposed to motivate Democrats to vote because Trump is going to do what is written in the Constitution ? Why should her dying wish matter at all?

The question we should all be asking is:
Which party will have more voters motivated to vote (for their Senators or for Trump) now that Trump has stated he will nominate and McConnell will vote for the nominee to SCOTUS?

That really is the question that could change the dynamics of the election - for Senators and for the President.

As always, you come up with statements that make little sense.
Over 60 million people voted for Trump in 2016. That's a lot of will from a lot of people.

I thought you would still be out protesting and burning buildings.

As always, you come up with statements that make little sense.
Over 60 million people voted for Trump in 2016. That's a lot of will from a lot of people.

I thought you would still be out protesting and burning buildings.

65m voted for Hillary. More will, more people.

Someone has to work to make sure red states can get their opioids.

What difference does it make that RBG had a dying wish - especially favoring a Democrat and being anti-Trump? Is this supposed to motivate Democrats to vote because Trump is going to do what is written in the Constitution ? Why should her dying wish matter at all?

The question we should all be asking is:
Which party will have more voters motivated to vote (for their Senators or for Trump) now that Trump has stated he will nominate and McConnell will vote for the nominee to SCOTUS?

That really is the question that could change the dynamics of the election - for Senators and for the President.
Really? Why the **** didn’t Bitch follow the Constitution?

This isn't going to go the way you think it's going to go.

1. 75% of Americans support Roe v. Wade. Earlier this year the Keiser Family Foundation released a poll where they found 75% of Americans do not want Roe v. Wade overturned.

2. A majority of Americans support ACA. This has been true, consistently, since 2017 based on an average of the polls. It has reached as high as 55% this year:

3. 62% of American adults agreed the vacancy should be filled by the winner of the Nov. 3 matchup between Trump and Democratic former Vice President Joe Biden. Eight out of 10 Democrats - and five in 10 Republicans- agreed that the appointment should wait until after the election.

4. The actions the Republicans are taking are resulting in record-breaking contributions to the Democratic Party and Democratic-Party candidates. The online fundraising organization ActBlue said grassroots donors gave $91.4m to Democratic candidates and causes in 28 hours after 8pm on Friday, around the time of the news of Ginsburg’s death. That figure, coming from 1.5 million donations, broke records for dollars raised in one day and dollars raised in one hour, said Erin Hill, the non-profit’s executive director. Donors gave $70.6m on Saturday alone, and $6.3m in one hour on Friday, Hill said, beating previous records of $41.6m in one day and $4.3m in one hour

Republicans have lost the popular vote in all but one of the last seven presidential elections. But they have appointed four of the last six picks to the Supreme Court, based on the support of GOP senators who represent less than half the American people.

What this is about is evangelicals and the rural, Trump-supporting states trying to implement what is a minority view on the rest of the country.

The only thing that is fringe, kookish, and authoritarian is what the GOP is trying to do to the rest of the country before their party literally dies of old age.

And all the Democrats have to do is replay the videos and audio clips of the GOP whining, moaning, and complaining about Obama wanting to appoint a justice during an election year and how unfair it was, and so on. They put that on repeat, and with 5 out of 10 Republicans, AGREEING with Democrats, and you have a recipe for disaster for the GOP this November. The Republicans look like total and complete hypocrites and even Republicans know it.

Dr. Chaos Theory,
You present some interesting opinions about what Democrats and Republicans are going to do now that RBG has passed on Trump has the authority to nominate a new justice to SCOTUS.
The truth is - no one really knows what is going to happen.
Are more Democrats going to mobilize to threaten and slow down the actions of the Republicans to vote to confirm? Or are more Republican voters going to motivate to help Republican Senator stay in office so that their Senate seats are safe after November 3rd?

How much do you really know about the future?

What we don't want are both Houses of Congress under the control of the Democrats.
That would be a disaster.

Would you like fromage (cheese) with your whine?

Nobody stole Garlands seat. Ahhhh... it wasn’t his seat.

You see, the Republicans ran the Senate. They do now too.

Elections have consequences.

May I suggest you man up? Hmmmm... Perhaps not possible...

Was this you?

I pity the guy she is married to. I sure hope they have the same political ideology.
And I hope I never live next to them.

None of the senators won their seat with less votes than his opponent. You are conflating the presidential election with the senate elections. Every senator won by a majority vote.
What your unintentionally advocating for is having all the states redistricted to have equal populations. In all honesty its an interesting concept that I have personally contemplated. The practacle considerations of the transition mechanics are messy but if that could be overcome imagine the big picture ramifications. Depending on if you chose to divide the population into 50 states or another number, the midwest could end up being 1 geographically big state or citys like nyc could end up being their own state.
I know im going a bit off topic but think about it as food for thought. Imagine if we treated states like congressional districts and redrew the lines say every 50 years?

Senators as a group, like the President, are making decisions for the entirety of the country. Two Senators from Wyoming have equal power to two Senators from California. That means that a far lower number of voters in one state have greater voting power than a far greater number of voters in another, and this is true across the board as states with smaller and usually more rural populations carry on this phenomenon.

So again, you'll want to be extra careful before saying what the will of "the people" is, unless what you're specifically stating is that "this is the will of a minority of people."

Senators as a group, like the President, are making decisions for the entirety of the country. Two Senators from Wyoming have equal power to two Senators from California. That means that a far lower number of voters in one state have greater voting power than a far greater number of voters in another, and this is true across the board as states with smaller and usually more rural populations carry on this phenomenon.

So again, you'll want to be extra careful before saying what the will of "the people" is, unless what you're specifically stating is that "this is the will of a minority of people."
The only way to get it how you want is to slice up the states

Back
Top Bottom