• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany legalises cannabis, but makes it hard to buy

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Another country sees the light. Marijuana needs to be fully legal in all 50 states.

The German parliament has backed a new law to allow the recreational use of cannabis.

Under the law, over-18s in Germany will be allowed to possess substantial amounts of cannabis, but strict rules will make it difficult to buy the drug.

Smoking cannabis in many public spaces will become legal from 1 April.

Possession of up to 25g, equivalent to dozens of strong joints, is to be allowed in public spaces. In private homes the legal limit will be 50g.

Already police in some parts of Germany, such as Berlin, often turn a blind eye to smoking in public, although possession of the drug for recreational use is illegal and can be prosecuted. 

Use of the drug among young people has been soaring for years despite the existing law, says Health Minister Karl Lauterbach, who is instigating the reforms.

He wants to undermine the black market, protect smokers from contaminated cannabis and cut revenue streams for organised crime gangs.

But legal cannabis cafes will not suddenly spring up all over the country.

A ferocious debate about decriminalising cannabis has been raging for years in Germany, with doctors' groups expressing concerns for young people and conservatives saying that liberalisation will fuel drug use.

Simone Borchardt of the opposition conservative CDU told the Bundestag, Germany's parliament, that the government had gone ahead with its "completely unnecessary, confused law" regardless of warnings from doctors, police and psychotherapists.

But Mr Lauterbach said the current situation was no longer tenable: "The number of consumers aged between 18 and 25 has doubled in the past 10 years."

Interesting, but not stated was whether (or not) “cannabis clubs” (with up to 500 members) would be allowed to grow it.

Cannabis is a little like religion or alcohol. In small amounts, it makes people feel good, helps them cope, and they’re probably not too bad for them. You’re never going to get people to stop using them anyway, so you might as well along with it and just try to regulate it as best you can- just educating them on the dangers of their excess.

Interesting, but not stated was whether (or not) “cannabis clubs” (with up to 500 members) would be allowed to grow it.
It said in the article that growing is allowed.

It said in the article that growing is allowed.

Yep, but was stated as having a per household limit of 3 plants, but it was unclear how that impacts the 50g legal possession limit in homes. A single plant could yield 500g (or more) of buds. Would a 500 member club be allowed to grow 1,500 plants or would it be limited to growing 3 plants?

Seems like Germany is going with the 'work in progress' plan, might be a bit of time before their ambitions are realized.

The rules for purchasing Pot is quite severe. "Buyer must listen to "Roll out the barrel" 150 times"
Has everyone forgotten they share a border with the Netherlands? One does not even have to slow down when crossing; indeed sometimes you don't even know you've crossed the border. Hard to buy within Germany maybe but hardly difficult to obtain with the proximity of a country where it virtually as common as sugar and with so many commercial vehicles crossing daily.

Sorta like Canada having strict firearm laws but sharing a border with the U.S. Oxymoronic!

this was an every confusing pingpong since the beginning - first they said 3 plants and 25gramm shall be allowed. 25?!? - made by people with no clue... Changes for me? May be the fence doesn´t need to be that high anymore.. ;o)

this was an every confusing pingpong since the beginning - first they said 3 plants and 25gramm shall be allowed. 25?!? - made by people with no clue... Changes for me? May be the fence doesn´t need to be that high anymore.. ;o)
You Germans need real leadership. Not this nonsense you have now. With all the failures, they toss Germans a joint.
'Here. Get stoned. Things will look better.'
If you're a farmer, get your tractor and help the protests.

You Germans need real leadership. Not this nonsense you have now. With all the failures, they toss Germans a joint.
'Here. Get stoned. Things will look better.'
If you're a farmer, get your tractor and help the protests.

Who are you to tell me what I have to do, boy? Do you even know who does the farmers protests? I´m in the assosiation too because I have to, but there is no farmer there with any might - all big industrial farming cooperations or food supply chains tell the more foolish farmers who is fault of their situation. Instead the big ones are guilty themselves for this mess...

Who are you to tell me what I have to do, boy? Do you even know who does the farmers protests? I´m in the assosiation too because I have to, but there is no farmer there with any might - all big industrial farming cooperations or food supply chains tell the more foolish farmers who is fault of their situation. Instead the big ones are guilty themselves for this mess...
As a senior citizen, thanks. It's nice to be called "boy" again.
Better be on the lookout. I understand the AfD is coming for your wives and daughters.

Giggle...

As a senior citizen, thanks. It's nice to be called "boy" again.
Better be on the lookout. I understand the AfD is coming for your wives and daughters.

Giggle...

Nope, they are coming for our dignity, humanity and democracy

Nope, they are coming for our dignity, humanity and democracy
Well then. That we can agree on.

Thanks for the compliment.

Wait...I re-read your post. You think the AfD is somehow undemocratic? If that's the case then...oh lord...how's that Kool-Aid?

Anyway...thanks for the compliment and...
Hail.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom