• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gazans increasingly back a two-state solution, as support for Hamas drops

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

Support for Hamas as a political party has fallen to 34% among Palestinians in Gaza and the occupied West Bank, a 12-point drop from December 2023, according to a poll released Wednesday by a leading Palestinian research institute.

This shocked me. I have thought that Israel's invasion of Palestine, complete with over 30,000 civilians killed, would have caused support for Hamas to skyrocket. It went just the other way.

It goes to show you that most Palestinians simply want to live. And those who still support Hamas may see them as their only option, not seeing the two-state solution as viable.

This shocked me. I have thought that Israel's invasion of Palestine, complete with over 30,000 civilians killed, would have caused support for Hamas to skyrocket. It went just the other way.

It goes to show you that most Palestinians simply want to live. And those who still support Hamas may see them as their only option, not seeing the two-state solution as viable.
The only way for this to end is to allow both indigenous populations to have their own state.

Listen, man, this is wonderful if true. Wonderful.

Hamas got 50% of the seats in a vote in 2006-07. If increasing numbers come to see that Hamas just wants this hell inflicted on them for their own 'martyrdom', wonderful. Truly.

That's what needs to happen for any solution to work. They need to turn on Hamas. And the more anti-Hamas sentiment, the greater the duty of the evil shit Netanyahu and his ****ing bastard Likud party to bend and work with them; in turn, the greater the legitimacy of Biden pressuring them and threatening them if they don't play ball.

This is what is necessary. Hamas undermined and gone or reduced to mostly irrelevance.

The only way for this to end is to allow both indigenous populations to have their own state.

That's just one moving part. True, but one part.

Hamas didn't trigger this because it was concerned about the plight of Palestinians. Hamas and its predecessors provoked that plight. A two state solution is part of the only possible set of solutions. But Hamas disempowered is, too, for without a loss of support giving a state would only put Hamas at its head, and Hamas wants only to kill Jews, destroy Israel, and die in pursuit of the idiotic pipe dream of a global caliphate.

You will note.... I'm focusing on Hamas support dropping. NOT the two-state thing. They go kinda hand in hand but not entirely. remember: a two-state solution was rejected the year before Israel was created, 'cause enough didn't want no Jews and definitely no Jewish country.

Nobody but the most evil of Likud members and Hamas wants a bloodbath. But money hasn't been near mouths for quite a while in enough of a critical mass to accomplish anything.

The problem is Israel doesn’t want a two state solution. Israel wants the land. And they will starve Palestinian children to death to get it.

I think they've viewed Hamas as a pain in the ass for years, but likely felt they didn't have the power to challenge them. Now, with most of their country gone, and with Hamas on the run, the dynamics are different.

The problem is Israel doesn’t want a two state solution. Israel wants the land. And they will starve Palestinian children to death to get it.

At the start of the war I wouldn't have agreed with this, but everything I've seen lately would seem to corroborate the above.

Listen, man, this is wonderful if true. Wonderful.

Hamas got 50% of the seats in a vote in 2006-07. If increasing numbers come to see that Hamas just wants this hell inflicted on them for their own 'martyrdom', wonderful. Truly.

That's what needs to happen for any solution to work. They need to turn on Hamas. And the more anti-Hamas sentiment, the greater the duty of the evil shit Netanyahu and his ****ing bastard Likud party to bend and work with them; in turn, the greater the legitimacy of Biden pressuring them and threatening them if they don't play ball.

This is what is necessary. Hamas undermined and gone or reduced to mostly irrelevance.

That's just one moving part. True, but one part.

Hamas didn't trigger this because it was concerned about the plight of Palestinians. Hamas and its predecessors provoked that plight. A two state solution is part of the only possible set of solutions. But Hamas disempowered is, too, for without a loss of support giving a state would only put Hamas at its head, and Hamas wants only to kill Jews, destroy Israel, and die in pursuit of the idiotic pipe dream of a global caliphate.

You will note.... I'm focusing on Hamas support dropping. NOT the two-state thing. They go kinda hand in hand but not entirely. remember: a two-state solution was rejected the year before Israel was created, 'cause enough didn't want no Jews and definitely no Jewish country.

Nobody but the most evil of Likud members and Hamas wants a bloodbath. But money hasn't been near mouths for quite a while in enough of a critical mass to accomplish anything.
There has been no other "election" since 2006. That alone indicates that Hamas does not accurately represent the Palestinians in Gaza.

Moreover, because the Palestinian population skews young, this means many if not the majority of today's Palestinian voters didn't vote for Hamas 17 years ago. Again, Hamas does not represent the wishes of today's Palestinians.

Btw, given the lack of elections, HOW do you expect dispossessed, displaced, starving Palestinians to reject/get rid of Hamas?

Moreover, "ending the war" isn't one-sided. The dominant power, the Government and military of Israel, also has the power to stop destroying Gaza, to stop making Palestinians homeless, to stop slaughtering Palestinians who are trapped in Gaza and are defenseless against Israel's modern military might.

They finally realized that Hamas went too far on 10/7 & the only way to stop the constant attacks from Israel is to stop supporting the idiots who provoke them.

They finally realized that Hamas went too far on 10/7 & the only way to stop the constant attacks from Israel is to stop supporting the idiots who provoke them.

Except for the inconvenient fact that Israel has no interest in peace.

There has been no other "election" since 2006. That alone indicates that Hamas does not accurately represent the Palestinians in Gaza.

I don't see how you single out that one point.

Your inference stems from the length of time. Until another measurement, apparently now, there is no basis to infer one way or the other.

EDIT: I know you said more. In the middle of cooking a fancy anniversary dinner. Will have to circle back.

I don't see how you single out that one point.

Your inference stems from the length of time. Until another measurement, apparently now, there is no basis to infer one way or the other.

EDIT: I know you said more. In the middle of cooking a fancy anniversary dinner. Will have to circle back.
Of course, I "single out" the ONLY election, which took place 17 years ago. Assuming Hamas has the endorsement of many if not most Palestinians is a non-starter, given that seventeen-year-old election.

Of course, I also pointed out that the demographics of Palestinians in Gaza skew very much toward the young. That, naturally, is also an indicator that there's no way to infer many if not most Palestinians support Hamas, because so many of today's Palestinians did not participate in that long-ago solitary election.

There already is a two state solution as determind in 1947 by UN Resolution 181.
1711069375545.png

In addition a two state solution has been offered many times always refused byPalestinians.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-Israel-offered-Palestine-the-two-state-solution-multiple-times-If-yes-what-is-stopping-Palestine-from-becoming-an-independent-state-in-2023
The Palestinians have actually had numerous opportunities to create an independent state, but have repeatedly rejected the offers:
  • In 1937, the Peel Commission proposed the partition of Palestine and the creation of an Arab state.
  • In 1939, the British White Paper proposed the creation of a unitary Arab state.
  • In 1947, the UN would have created an even larger Arab state as part of its partition plan.
  • The 1979 Egypt-Israel peace negotiations offered the Palestinians autonomy, which would almost certainly have led to full independence.
  • The Oslo agreements of the 1990s laid out a path for Palestinian independence, but the process was derailed by terrorism.
  • In 2000, Prime Minister Ehud Barak offered to create a Palestinian state in all of Gaza and 97 percent of the West Bank.
  • In 2008, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert offered to withdraw from almost the entire West Bank and partition Jerusalem on a demographic basis.
  • In addition 1948 to 1967, Israel did not control the West Bank. The Palestinians could have demanded an independent state from the Jordanians. On the contrary whilst Jordan was in control Arafat said there was no longer a claim as it was no longer part of Palestine. Once it was back in Israeli hands it miraculously became disputed land again! This is one of many reasons Jews and Israelis are cynical."

It's hard to imagine how Palestinians could want to live with Israel (worse than Hamas) after the history. Yet they are. It's like asking Jews to permanently live with a Nazi government it agreed to stop the Holocaust, expecting them to just be glad it ended and not pursue any justice, or they'd be called 'terrorists' for doing anything against the Nazis.

We have movies celebrating militants hunting former Nazis. Why not of militants hunting the people who did war crimes to the Palestinians? Israel (worse than Hamas) is largely 'Nazis pushed as the good guys'.

It's hard to imagine how Palestinians could want to live with Israel (worse than Hamas) after the history. Yet they are. It's like asking Jews to permanently live with a Nazi government it agreed to stop the Holocaust, expecting them to just be glad it ended and not pursue any justice, or they'd be called 'terrorists' for doing anything against the Nazis.

We have movies celebrating militants hunting former Nazis. Why not of militants hunting the people who did war crimes to the Palestinians? Israel (worse than Hamas) is largely 'Nazis pushed as the good guys'.

Or asking Jews to live peacefully with evil Islamic neighbors who's religion calls them to kill every Jew who doesn't submit to Islam.

Back
Top Bottom