• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Garage Flooring

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Anyone have any experience with interlocking tiles in a garage?
We had the garage floor epoxy coated about eight years ago. In the meantime we have a new vehicle with newer tires. The tires heat up while driving and the newer tires have pulled patches out of the floor. The warranty was one of those “as long as you own your house” deals and to be fair, the company sent out a rep to patch the trouble spots. About a week after the patching, another patch pulled up. According to the interweb, this is a common problem with epoxy coated floors and newer tires. Doesn’t make much sense to park outside until the tires cool and then pull into the garage.
There are a few options; there are solid tiles but the seams aren’t water-proof and I worry about water trapped under the tiles. There is an open tile that claims the water will drain and find the incline to drain out the door.

These are the solid tiles.^^^

These are the open tiles.^^^

We had the garage floor epoxy coated about eight years ago. In the meantime we have a new vehicle with newer tires. The tires heat up while driving and the newer tires have pulled patches out of the floor. The warranty was one of those “as long as you own your house” deals and to be fair, the company sent out a rep to patch the trouble spots. About a week after the patching, another patch pulled up. According to the interweb, this is a common problem with epoxy coated floors and newer tires. Doesn’t make much sense to park outside until the tires cool and then pull into the garage.
There are a few options; there are solid tiles but the seams aren’t water-proof and I worry about water trapped under the tiles. There is an open tile that claims the water will drain and find the incline to drain out the door.

Instead of the whole floor you could just lay down flooring or material for just the tire track.

You're basically counting on the insulation of the flooring to slow down heat transfer for long enough that the tires cool. Eventually it will get through.

So maybe a combination of post #3, and metal runners over the tile. To spread the heat and make it less likely to penetrate the tiles.

Interesting. I wasn't aware "hot tires" could cause such issues with epoxy flooring, or tile flooring for that matter.

Not sure I like those tiles in the second link though with the ridges. In Colorado, our vehicles pick up all manner of slush and road gunk that would readily clog those tiles. Can't imagine the effort it'd take to clean them.

I was really wanting to epoxy coat my garage floor a few years ago. But two people I know who had epoxy coatings professionally applied eventually had severe problems. One of those people is my elderly father, and I’ve got to spend some time this spring getting his garage floor fixed.

Concrete is a porous material and it breathes. From what I’ve seen, epoxy coatings don’t allow the concrete to breathe, or dry. If you have any underground seepage or drainage issues around the foundation, not allowing the concrete floor to breathe is a recipe for disaster, especially with older concrete surfaces. Then, not only do you get the epoxy coating coming up from hot tires, but you may cause chunks of concrete to come up with it, along with possible massive cracks.

I may look into the tiles, but I would lean towards the ones with the hollow ridges. Just not sure about cleaning them throughout the winter.

I’m getting sample tiles from two of the manufacturers. They claim that the tiles are molded with a channel on the bottom to drain away any water. Most garages have to have a drop toward the door by code. Mud may be a problem, but we don’t go off road at all.

We have had the rubber tiles in a coin pattern for about 15 years and they have withstood everything. Prior to that , the floor was coated with garage floor paint and it kept coming up and cracking. Go for it.

We have had the rubber tiles in a coin pattern for about 15 years and they have withstood everything. Prior to that , the floor was coated with garage floor paint and it kept coming up and cracking. Go for it.
Finished the floor Sunday, Pictures state they are too large to upload??

IMG_3693.jpeg

Finally got a down-sized image.

Back
Top Bottom