• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

G.M. Will Sell Only Zero-Emission Vehicles by 2035

This is a bold plan but it makes sense. If the automobile were invented today it would be electric - quieter, more powerful, fewer parts, good for a million miles.

Link
I'll believe it when I see it. The auto industry will have two choices, if a care can last a million miles they will sell less cars in the future so they will make prices much higher, The other problem is making electric, vehicles like diesel rigs for over the road hauling, and heavy duty industrial equipment like road paving equipment and such. Also how do you deal with mass transit, which requires more power and that take hydrocarbon fuels which burn hotter to produce the energy, like large ships, and planes. It's all about the money, no real reason to get off carbon fuel. Kerry said all the emissions are coming 90% from outside the U.S. and we can't have much impact by ourselves, about 2%.

This is a bold plan but it makes sense. If the automobile were invented today it would be electric - quieter, more powerful, fewer parts, good for a million miles.

Link

This is encouraging news. Business has been a laggard in addressing climate change, but is now moving in that direction. The science is solid. No scientifically credible objections against climate change remain.

Having said that, I suspect electric cars will likely be a bridge to hydrogen-powered cars.

The cars may emit 0 carbon, but what about the process that produces the electricity?

Eventually yes but since natural gas is the least polluting fossil fuel it will likely be in use for years after oil and coal burning has largely stopped.
Energy is a national security issue and we need multiple sources. Not just windmills and the sun. Nuclear is fading away, hydro is limited, etc. Aviation still uses and always will use fossil fuel. In the mean time the developing nations will be given a pass to do whatever they want. Tons of our wealth will be seized and pissed away in the name of Paris Accord.

The cars may emit 0 carbon, but what about the process that produces the electricity?

Incremental generation will be handled by natural gas and renewables. Natural gas already burns cleaner than gasoline. Renewables will also increasingly take share over time. Overall, it will be a big net reduction in emissions.

If I cant drive 500 miles in one stretch without stopping to plug in my car, I'll never be on board with. When the energy czar says we can't impact the carbon emission more than a few percentage points and that 90% of the pollutants are coming from outside the U.S. and the Paris Accord doesn't make China, Russia, India, Pakistan make any changes until 2030 and later. Why bother, the U.S. already has the strictest regulations among industrial nations and we are putting our the least amount of carbon pollutants.

I'll believe it when I see it. The auto industry will have two choices, if a care can last a million miles they will sell less cars in the future so they will make prices much higher, The other problem is making electric, vehicles like diesel rigs for over the road hauling, and heavy duty industrial equipment like road paving equipment and such. Also how do you deal with mass transit, which requires more power and that take hydrocarbon fuels which burn hotter to produce the energy, like large ships, and planes. It's all about the money, no real reason to get off carbon fuel. Kerry said all the emissions are coming 90% from outside the U.S. and we can't have much impact by ourselves, about 2%.
Industry runs on electrical power, lots of it and it needs it full time all the time. Now people want millions of cars charging up adding to the load on the grid and they want ALL fossil fuels gone. Not going to add up. John Kerry has no business getting on a jet aircraft flying all over the world harping about fossil fuels. A jet airliner burns a million times more energy in low quality kerosene and there is no catalytic converter to deal with the pollution.

If I cant drive 500 miles in one stretch without stopping to plug in my car, I'll never be on board with. When the energy czar says we can't impact the carbon emission more than a few percentage points and that 90% of the pollutants are coming from outside the U.S. and the Paris Accord doesn't make China, Russia, India, Pakistan make any changes until 2030 and later. Why bother, the U.S. already has the strictest regulations among industrial nations and we are putting our the least amount of carbon pollutants.
If something doesn't change everywhere, there's going to be a lot less roads to drive anything on. Instead we'll be here arguing about energy efficient boats.

Industry runs on electrical power, lots of it and it needs it full time all the time. Now people want millions of cars charging up adding to the load on the grid and they want ALL fossil fuels gone. Not going to add up. John Kerry has no business getting on a jet aircraft flying all over the world harping about fossil fuels. A jet airliner burns a million times more energy in low quality kerosene and there is no catalytic converter to deal with the pollution.

Increased load will be handled by natural gas and renewables. The transition away from natural gas is a different matter entirely.

Yes there will be naysayers there always are. In America we have a tradition of ignoring the naysayers or we would have never become the country that went to the moon first.
BTW making plastics out of oil is not a problem for the environment since it can be recycled. It is burning the stuff that is causing the rapid warming. reserving oil for manufacturing uses is yet another good reason to stop burning it.
Im not a naysayer. Quite the opposite. Im one of the biggest proponents of the development of viable green energy there is.

.... and don't forget the fact that 41% of all electricity is made using coal.
I think its tragic that so many DO forget that facts. Personally, I'd like to see those that are demanding an immediate end to the Keystone Pipeline and American fossil fuel development self identify and then have them removed from the grid.

DEVELOPING viable green energy sources is fantastic. However we also have a NEED to live while consuming fossil fuels. Responsibly.

I think its tragic that so many DO forget that facts. Personally, I'd like to see those that are demanding an immediate end to the Keystone Pipeline and American fossil fuel development self identify and then have them removed from the grid.

DEVELOPING viable green energy sources is fantastic. However we also have a NEED to live while consuming fossil fuels. Responsibly.

We already are.

Most Car engines will last a very long time it is the thin steel bodies that rust out
Diesel trucks can and do get a million miles on them
and like I said D/C motors are very powerful , they run Trains and Submarines and some very large surface ships,
and the can be downsized to fit cars and Trucks so that should not be a real problem
and I can see these new Glass lith .batteries starting to be used in houses that have solar power.
they last, they hold a charge for a long time it is like most everything else the Price
it it can be bought at a reasonable price that too will take off
These new batteries can have a lot of uses
Have a nice day

41% of all electricity is produced from coal .... the human brain naturally processes information in ways that allow it to be influenced to see certain things but not others so it can easily be misdirected. Are you watching the magician's right hand or the left? Or is it the magician doing the trick or someone else?
Here in America coal produces 20% of our electricity down from 33% in 2014.

EIA_coal_1845_1101_80.jpg

How Miserable Is A Winter Tesla Road Trip? -18°C & Broken Superchargers

Engineer compares 2000 mile summer trip versus winter trip in a Tesla.

Im not a naysayer. Quite the opposite. Im one of the biggest proponents of the development of viable green energy there is.

This was pounded into the ground in the 70s and has been since the 70s. 50 years and we're still on the outside looking in on it?

It's like labeling turkey bacon as "low fat" when it's 70% of calories from fat. It's all puffery.

This was pounded into the ground in the 70s and has been since the 70s. 50 years and we're still on the outside looking in on it?

It's like labeling turkey bacon as "low fat" when it's 70% of calories from fat. It's all puffery.
One of the considerations is that 'green energy' is not magic..it just hasnt proven to be reliable and viable. Try to run a city like LA or NYC on green energy. And if we COULD be more dependent on green energy...if it was more reliable...we would be using it more.

How Miserable Is A Winter Tesla Road Trip? -18°C & Broken Superchargers

Engineer compares 2000 mile summer trip versus winter trip in a Tesla.

This was interesting.

This probably isn't the safest way to do a video. :) Driving 80 miles an hour on a snow covered road talking into a camera, driving with one hand and gesturing with the other.

This was interesting.

This probably isn't the safest way to do a video. :) Driving 80 miles an hour on a snow covered road talking into a camera, driving with one hand and gesturing with the other.
It seems that EV's don't allow for stress free trips. Local from home driving is likely ok.

I have 2018 Civic and on road trips (highway) 47-49 measured at pump. mpg , gas was <$ 2.00 / gal. I made stops because I wanted to. 500 mile range , gas is everywhere. I don't have to plan and think about every little detail.

Last edited:
It seems that EV's don't allow for stress free trips. Local from home driving is likely ok.

I have 2018 Civic and on road trips (highway) 47-49 measured at pump. mpg , gas was <$ 2.00 / gal. I made stops because I wanted to. 500 mile range , gas is everywhere. I don't have to plan and think about every little detail.

That's true. 240 miles on a highway trip isn't a great range at all... and even he pointed out the concern about 'what if a charging station isn't available?' He even started charging every 100 miles to cut down on charging time. And while it might be comfortable for him and his cat - what about a family of 4-5 and their luggage. And this is arguably the best electric car in the world.

Interestingly, they talked about summer weather.... up north... with temperatures in the low 70's. While I'm sure cold weather is the biggest challenge, what about when it's 90-100 outside and the A/C is running full blast? What about trips in more rural areas, where there isn't a charging station every 50 miles?

I'm sure they would work fine for 90% of the driving we do... around town, etc. But that other 10%? That doesn't even address 'work' vehicles. Until they can make EVs that will fill 100% of people's needs, at a comparable price, can't phase out ICE's.

That's true. 240 miles on a highway trip isn't a great range at all... and even he pointed out the concern about 'what if a charging station isn't available?' He even started charging every 100 miles to cut down on charging time. And while it might be comfortable for him and his cat - what about a family of 4-5 and their luggage. And this is arguably the best electric car in the world.

Interestingly, they talked about summer weather.... up north... with temperatures in the low 70's. While I'm sure cold weather is the biggest challenge, what about when it's 90-100 outside and the A/C is running full blast? What about trips in more rural areas, where there isn't a charging station every 50 miles?

I'm sure they would work fine for 90% of the driving we do... around town, etc. But that other 10%? That doesn't even address 'work' vehicles. Until they can make EVs that will fill 100% of people's needs, at a comparable price, can't phase out ICE's.
The cost of an EV is already a disadvantage. They have their place. Just beware of the limitations and the planning needed to go off for the day or on a trip. For now, I have no interest.

This is very true. they have been working on making these batteries smaller , hold a charge longer and charge faster . well that is just what they have finally done , there was a breakthrough I believe in 2016 and that is why this has been a big thing and will finally be getting off the ground
https://thedriven.io/2020/04/06/li-...lass-battery-that-could-upturn-auto-industry/
here is some interesting reading and more about it here

Have a nice evening

This is very true. they have been working on making these batteries smaller , hold a charge longer and charge faster . well that is just what they have finally done , there was a breakthrough I believe in 2016 and that is why this has been a big thing and will finally be getting off the ground
https://thedriven.io/2020/04/06/li-...lass-battery-that-could-upturn-auto-industry/
here is some interesting reading and more about it here

Have a nice evening

Does little to address the new electric demands. NYC already has brown outs and rolling black outs. Left hand needs to know what the right hand is doing when it comes to making something " green" or is this another case of in name only "green" will do?

One of the considerations is that 'green energy' is not magic..it just hasnt proven to be reliable and viable. Try to run a city like LA or NYC on green energy. And if we COULD be more dependent on green energy...if it was more reliable...we would be using it more.

The same cities with common black outs.

It is quite a commitment. But with rapid advancements in battery technology, public acceptance and supporting infrastructure it's probably not only possible but they may just beat their own timeline.
When has the government ever met a timeline? Obama promised all this stuff and we got next to nothing. Biden will waste trillions and we will get nothing for it. He starts with job killing before he even has any jobs ready to take their place. How stupid is that!!!!

Back
Top Bottom