• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Future "National Emergencies" from the left

Which is haymarket’s point. The country is not facing a national emergency at the border and will not be facing one because the president says so. If Trump gets away with a phony NE, it will set a bad precedent.

The law says the president alone is permitted to determine a national emergency, and grants specific powers to combat one. These do not include legislative powers, this “point” is not an argument

The law says the president alone is permitted to determine a national emergency, and grants specific powers to combat one. These do not include legislative powers, this “point” is not an argument

The president cannot redefine the meaning of EMERGENCY to include something which has been going on for decades and in fact has actually waned and decreased over time. That is NOT a power of the President. It is the wielding of mental delusion brought on by trying to extract himself from the very corner he painted himself into.

For you to intentionally will yourself to deny that is an argument puts you in the same category as Trump.

I still say the first thing to do that would be effective in finding illegals would be mandating that E-Verify be used and employers getting huge fines. Yes, there will always be employers that will take risks and still keep hiring but they can be weeded out and set as examples. Of course that would be filed under "Hostile actions against businesses" by opponents (Dem and Rep alike), but if the "crisis" is real than that would be a start.

As someone who sat in Michigan legislative hearings for days about the E=verify program (this was back in 2012), I can tell you there was lots of testimony from both workers and employers about the error rate and unreliability of the program. I do not know if it has been significantly improved in the intervening six years - but the distinct impression I came away with was that the program did not work as promised.

I have no idea as that is not my line of work . But feel free to explain how the situation on the border has seriously changed from ten years ago or five years ago or three years ago or a year ago and why this change now constitutes an EMERGENCY.

So you don't know but by golly you know that Trump is wrong!

So you don't know but by golly you know that Trump is wrong!

Two different things. I am rather surprised you have trouble with that concept.

I know that there is no emergency is southern border security as the situation has only gotten better in the last years. You cannot declare an EMERGENCY is not emergency exists.

Back
Top Bottom