• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Future "National Emergencies" from the left

It's no different than when property is bought to be used for a road. The land owners will be compensated. Is property being "taken"? No, the property will be purchased. And the land owners will still have thousands of acres that they own.

Except more than compensation for the "strip of land" taken is due - in Texas, what used to be riverfront property, typically doubling or tripling its value per acre, is no longer that.

I agree, the true "crisis/emergency" is the lack of adequate interior immigration law enforcement. Expecting about 6K ICE/ERO agents to round up and deport between 12M and 20M illegal immigrants scattered throughout the entire US interior is mission impossible. Perhaps it's time to enlist the help of state/local LEOs by offering them federal bounties for each illegal immigrant turned over to federal immigration agents.

I still say the first thing to do that would be effective in finding illegals would be mandating that E-Verify be used and employers getting huge fines. Yes, there will always be employers that will take risks and still keep hiring but they can be weeded out and set as examples. Of course that would be filed under "Hostile actions against businesses" by opponents (Dem and Rep alike), but if the "crisis" is real than that would be a start.

Your pic as due to a river flood that erodes the ground. New and better built walls with this in mind can help prevent such accidents from reoccurring

No matter what kind of wall you build, an inner tube will take you around. But why when the vast majority of drugs and terrorists come through ports of entry and we weren't even inspecting most containers before the government was shut down.

EndOfTheWall.jpg

Except more than compensation for the "strip of land" taken is due - in Texas, what used to be riverfront property, typically doubling or tripling its value per acre, is no longer that.

Tripling it's value would make it worth, what? $1000 an acre in a place like Langtry, or Dryden?

Last edited:
A true EMERGENCY is one thing. This farce sham is a horse of a different color. There is no such EMERGENCY for Trump to declare.

How many people entering the country illegally would it take before you consider it an emergency?

No matter what kind of wall you build, an inner tube will take you around. But why when the vast majority of drugs and terrorists come through ports of entry and we weren't even inspecting most containers before the government was shut down.
A very small amount of people even attempt to cross into the US by sea, while it can be done its often riskier for the health of the would be crosser but also because its a lot easier to be detained. Entering by ocean their is only 2 small sections of ocean that need to be covered and with border patrol agents stationed their as well as coast guards help the apprehension rate for that style of crossing is high.

Majority of drug do come through point of entry do to the shift over the last 30 years of the type of drugs the cartels in Mexico are importing. Heroin for instance is pretty small in size compared the money that is available to be made their for can be easier concealed. While I agree that we should spend money to help the agents at the points of entry to be better able to detect these drugs that does not solve all the problems. Mexican TCOs also rely on traditional drug smuggling methods such as the use of backpackers, or "mules" on clandestine land trails to cross remote areas of the south west border into the United States. According to the latest DEA reports.

An acre is roughly 208 feet wide by 208 feet long.
A mile being 5280 feet long
Their is roughly 25 linear acres in a 1 mile long 208 foot wide stretch.
Texas having 1,241 miles of border with Mexico you would need 31,025 acres linear to posses all the land on the Texas Mexico border.
I don't know how much the federal government already owns or how the land values change along that border stretch but I imagine it varies greatly.

The land owners will continue to use there's land as they have been. Nothing will be stopping them.

And where are you getting this from? What happens when a landowners property goes right up to the border?

Texas having 1,241 miles of border with Mexico you would need 31,025 acres linear to posses all the land on the Texas Mexico border.
I don't know how much the federal government already owns or how the land values change along that border stretch but I imagine it varies greatly.

You are missing my point which was that riverfront property (acreage) looses value once it is no longer riverfront property.

How many people entering the country illegally would it take before you consider it an emergency?

I have no idea as that is not my line of work . But feel free to explain how the situation on the border has seriously changed from ten years ago or five years ago or three years ago or a year ago and why this change now constitutes an EMERGENCY.

And where are you getting this from? What happens when a landowners property goes right up to the border?

They'll loose a 30-40 foot easement and they get paid for it.

You are missing my point which was that riverfront property (acreage) looses value once it is no longer riverfront property.

I can agree to that but isn't their a way to calculate its value then also be able to calculate the depreciated value of the entire properties value do the change in geography? That value can be taken into account along with the value of the actual purchased property when assessing costs to the government to own that land.
Also I think that a person who owns property on the border that is working with traffickers that the land becomes way more valuable to them for their operations way more then any riverfront property values.

I thought the federal government has 30 foot easements on the border already for the border patrol to be able to use. But easements and ownerships that would fence off the private landowners are very different things.

I thought the federal government has 30 foot easements on the border already for the border patrol to be able to use. But easements and ownerships that would fence off the private landowners are very different things.

I think you're right.

In Texas, Big Bend is about it.

So much for property rights and so much for the phony conservatives who mouth hollow platitudes about them.

So much for property rights and so much for the phony conservatives who mouth hollow platitudes about them.

By your logic, there will never be a new road built, ever again, in The United States.

The problem is that, on those issue, they are entirely time-based. A democrat could only declare an emergency on those issues for, at most, 8 years. Once the wall is built however well...it's built. There is no need to have a national emergency for 8 years with it. The other issues are simply too time-transcedent to have any real effect. As soon as a democrat is replaced, people buy guns and run gas guzzling cars once again.

As soon as Trump makes his move to declare a national emergency in order to confiscate funds appropriated for legitimate purposes, Dems/Congress will sue. Until the suit is settled nothing happens. No wall. Nothing. It’s anybody’s guess what SCOTUS will say, but I’m betting they’d shut Trump down on the basis of there being no justification for proclaiming a national emergency in the first place. Doesn’t really matter to Trump though, because he never really cared about any wall. It was a campaign ploy for his base. If he gets shut down he can say “I did everything I could and those terrible Democrats wouldn’t allow me to save you”. A win for Trump.

By your logic, there will never be a new road built, ever again, in The United States.

I have no idea what that means or what you are talking about.

You would think that someone like myself who lives close to the border should be seeing something? Instead the only thing that I have seen is less illegals and less signs of said illegals.

That being said I do have real concerns about safety due to things like a friend who was killed by two drug cartel members less than 10 miles from my house. The problem is that Trumps wall will take away funds that would keep murderers out. In a nut shell the wall is a stupid false since of security. I would still like someone to point me too an actual border plan instead of just build a wall crap.

Back
Top Bottom