• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

From my research, it looks like New York state has a background check law similar to ours here in CA.

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Do you want criminals to continue to have access to guns so that they can continue being criminals?
Isn't that what background checks prevent in your mind?

Isn't that what background checks prevent in your mind?
Actual background checks that would effectively limit would, I would suggest that current BC's do very little to prevent criminals from obtaining guns.

So the gun is registered and licensed, correct? Are you registered and licensed as well? I'm next to positive that no insurance requirements are tied to the gun right?

No, the gun isn't registered and licensed. The user is. I wouldn't necessarily be averse to a registration requirement for the gun being publicly used. Nor to a liability insurance requirement for public use, equivalent to the minimum requirement for motor vehicles.

It's moot though, because so few will agree to limiting possession for motor vehicles equivalent to the limitations for guns.

Actual background checks that would effectively limit would, I would suggest that current BC's do very little to prevent criminals from obtaining guns.
But if background checks were developed that could limit criminal access to guns would you support using the same background checks to limit criminal access to cars.

But if background checks were developed that could limit criminal access to guns would you support using the same background checks to limit criminal access to cars.
Do you honestly believe that impeding criminals or reducing violent crime, is what motivates the persistent anti gun posters on this board?

I'm pretty sure all 50 states share DMV data already.

I'm pretty sure all 50 states share DMV data already.
Felons can still buy and sell cars. @RF667799 wants to ban the ownership and use of cars by felons in order to reduce crime.

That isn't what criminal background checks are.
It is however, a way that the 50 states share current info, a way deemed inappropriate for gun purchases.

Felons can still buy and sell cars. @RF667799 wants to ban the ownership and use of cars by felons in order to reduce crime.
No, I believe he is just talking about drunk drivers. Not all felons are drunk drivers and not all drunk drivers are felons.

It is however, a way that the 50 states share current info, a way deemed inappropriate for gun purchases.

The background checks for guns are overseen by the FBI. The data is supposed to be shared by the states.

No, I believe he is just talking about drunk drivers. Not all felons are drunk drivers and not all drunk drivers are felons.
No, not just drunk drivers.

All felons?
That's the standard for guns. Serious misdemeanors as well. People subject to orders of protection. Dishonorably discharged from the Armed Services. Addicted to illegal drugs.

All considered "Prohibited Persons".

That's the standard for guns. Serious misdemeanors as well. People subject to orders of protection. Dishonorably discharged from the Armed Services. Addicted to illegal drugs.

All considered "Prohibited Persons".
In that case, no I don't support your idea.

That isn't the fault of the states, is it? That's the fault of the FBI not completing their duties in a timely manner.
Really? Not states failing to provide prompt and accurate info?

In that case, no I don't support your idea.
So you are in favor of allowing criminals to have access to cars to help them commit crimes.

Really? Not states failing to provide prompt and accurate info?

Why would that slow down the process? If the state hasn't provided the info to the data base, it doesn't affect the process of the check itself, so far as I know.

Why would that slow down the process? If the state hasn't provided the info to the data base, it doesn't affect the process of the check itself, so far as I know.
If the check can't be completed in 3 days the transaction continues as I understand it.

So you are in favor of allowing criminals to have access to cars to help them commit crimes.
That's not what I said. Imo, crimes should be punished, not the possibility that a crime will take place.

If the check can't be completed in 3 days the transaction continues as I understand it.
Right. The states have nothing to do with that. The FBI conducts the check.

That's not what I said. Imo, crimes should be punished, not the possibility that a crime will take place.

Is prohibiting criminals from having guns just a punishment?

Back
Top Bottom