• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free Speech

Only in the South could this happen.
Your ignorant, bias based assertion.
One school banned one book. That hardly compares to a southern state banning 54 math books.
Five classics. “To Kill a Mockingbird,” Mark Twain’s “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” John Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men,” Theodore Taylor’s “The Cay” and Mildred D. Taylor’s “Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry” from its curriculum.

One district banning books is all it takes to debunk your ignorant, bias based claim.
Virginia is a quasi southern state with an enormous northern interest.
You’ve gone from ignorant to stupid and dishonest with this ^ comment. Virginia is, in fact, a Southern state in every sense.

“Enormous northern interest”? Do you even know what you’re referring to? Of course not, because the comment is nonsensical crap.
The federal government is a dominant force in northern Virginia. Both the Pentagon and CIA headquarters are located in Virginia.
That there is also a significant federal government presence here makes no difference whatsoever.

Maybe I shouldn’t be so hard on you for making so many stupid, false assertions about the South and Southernors. After all, California barely cracks the upper 50 percentile in education.

Lurchadams:

Marrisa's and Johnny's teacher takes Marissa aside for five minutes at lunch or at recess but outside of the classroom and explains why some families have a mommy and a daddy, why some have two mommies, why some have two daddies and why some have only just one mommy or just one daddy. Problem solved because that's counselling an upset student outside of the classroom, not teaching them inside a classroom. There are legal ways around every foolish law if you care to be creative.

Please don't tell others to get out of your way in matters of politics in a free society as almost everyone has a legitimate place to speak their mind in a debate forum and in public life. It is your ideologically blinded politicians who are doing your society great harm. I live in a separate country and have quite literally zero impact on the American political landscape. I am harming no one here.

Oh, I am not a Republican. I am not an adherent of any one political party in Canada. I vote for politicians of different parties at different levels of government depending on their platforms and their reputations as good representatives and leaders.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
No. You're wrong. Teachers in FL are prohibited form discussing it. Get your facts straight, then come back and talk to me, @Evilroddy . You don't know what you're talking about.

Your ignorant, bias based assertion.
The Republican Party has captured the minds of those who live in the rural counties of America. Those voters are mostly farmers and rural shopkeepers. They lack education and they are not well-informed.
States controlled by Republicans -- a good many are in the South -- are enacting measures restricting what can be taught in schools. Florida’s “don’t say gay” law and Virginia’s executive order banning the teaching of critical race theory among them. Recently, Florida’s education department rejected 54 mathematics textbooks citing alleged references to critical race theory as well as other violations. Mostly though, the math books conflicted with Florida's Benchmarks for Excellent Student Thinking. That sounds creepingly Orwellian.

A number of Republican-led states are reducing access to voting in the wake of former President Donald Trump’s lies about widespread fraud in the 2020 election, none of which have been proven. Trump has been overruled in 60 courts, the Supreme Court, all 50 states, and the Electoral College. Most Republicans don't know that or don't want to know.

And, last but not least, Republicans want to control the health decisions of women. In doing so, they violated the Supremacy Clause (Article VI, Para 2) of our Constitution. Oklahoma, Kentucky and Florida put in place new restrictions on abortion that appear to violate the landmark Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade.

According to education challenged rural grassroots Republicans this is all okay to them. They don't know any better. The politicians say everything is fine, and they are gullible enough to believe it. Despite the fascist like laws restricting them, the rural voter isn't saying a thing, and Republicans are enormously popular in the rural counties of America. They are encouraged to enact more restrictive laws.

Republicans give lip service to warning people about the unwanted power of the state. Autocratic governments do the same. Autocratic governments -- like Russia -- warn their citizens about atrocities and government domination.

Then they proceed with their atrocities and government domination.

No. You're wrong. Teachers in FL are prohibited form discussing it. Get your facts straight, then come back and talk to me, @Evilroddy . You don't know what you're talking about.
lurchadams:

I am not wrong:

The law, HB 1557, bans “instruction” about sexual orientation or gender identity “in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards.” Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed it into law Monday. Parents will be able to sue school districts for alleged violations, damages or attorney’s fees when the law goes into effect July 1.

Lawmakers who support the law have repeatedly stressed that it would not prohibit teachers and students from talking about their LGBTQ families or bar classroom discussions about LGBTQ history, including events like the 2016 attack at the Pulse nightclub, a gay club in Orlando. Instead, they argue, it is about giving parents more jurisdiction over their children’s education.

But legal experts have said the broad language of the law could open districts and teachers to lawsuits from parents who believe any conversation about LGBTQ people or issues is “inappropriate.”

The law restricts instruction not conversation or counselling. The law may be twisted by legal activists in the future but as it stands right now the law is only about teacher instruction ie. teaching in the classroom.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

In the United States, teachers do not have authority to strike because they disagree with lawful legislation.
RaleBulgarian:

By what authority do you assert this point above? Are you a lawyer or a legal scholar? Teachers are responsible for delivering impartial education to students. That is their authority as nobody else is doing that job but them.
There may be a process for handling disputes regarding curriculum, but I doubt it would allow for striking over lawful legislation.
Do you know? No. Try and see if it works.
I believe you’re confusing authority with certifications/qualifications.
By what authority do you claim to be able to decide who has authority in matters of education?
Throwing stuff at the wall, hoping something sticks doesn’t sound like a good defense against anti-CRT legislation or book banning.
I gave you three specific grounds and surmised that trained legal professional could come up with more. Protecting the first amendment's separation of Church and State hardly seems like you're casting stuff at walls. The ones throwing stuff at walls are the state legislators who are trying to overturn the foundational secular principles which have guided public education for about a century and a half.
The issue isn’t that Trumpster parents are simply ignorant through no fault of their own. The issue is willfully ignorant Trumpster parents that are vehemently anti-logic and anti-fact.
So they don't get qualified and certified to serve on educational boards and all they can do is rage at their own impotence. This is good.
A federal library review tribunal would almost certainly be a violation of the 10th amendment.
Not if it does not restrict books but rather protects books from being banned.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

None of your continued yammering deserves any answer.

You posted insulting ignorant, stupid, and dishonest broad brush assertions against all Southernors.

If you had any integrity at all you would acknowledge it.

Feel free to continue showing your ass. I’m done with you.

By what authority do you assert this point above? Are you a lawyer or a legal scholar? Teachers are responsible for delivering impartial education to students. That is their authority as nobody else is doing that job but them.
Maybe authority means something different in Canada than it does in America.
A607B9C3-4158-47DF-A6B0-B7C8883763D4.jpeg
Hint; Responsibility and authority are not synonymous.
Do you know? No. Try and see if it works.
That I said “I doubt” should make clear that I don’t claim to know, but believe otherwise.
By what authority do you claim to be able to decide who has authority in matters of education?
You’re really stuck on authority.
I gave you three specific grounds and surmised that trained legal professional could come up with more. Protecting the first amendment's separation of Church and State hardly seems like you're casting stuff at walls. The ones throwing stuff at walls are the state legislators who are trying to overturn the foundational secular principles which have guided public education for about a century and a half.
“Surmised” is an overly generous description.

Religion doesn’t figure into issues being discussed.
So they don't get qualified and certified to serve on educational boards and all they can do is rage at their own impotence. This is good.
There is no qualification/certification program.
Not if it does not restrict books but rather protects books from being banned.
That’s not how our Constitution works.

@RaleBulgarian

A more fulsome definition of authority can be found here:

https://www.oed.com/oed2/00015072;jsessionid=5F45D6FBD7EED18BB327932188DCCCF7

Teachers are given the authority to command obedience, to influence others, to shape minds and to quite the lives and the learning of their students. Ergo, they meet many criteria for having authority.

Shall we move on now?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
Glad you don’t teach in America. Considering your perspective, it’d be no surprise if you ended up being fired and/or arrested for forcing your authority on students.

None of your continued yammering deserves any answer.

You posted insulting ignorant, stupid, and dishonest broad brush assertions against all Southernors.

If you had any integrity at all you would acknowledge it.
In post #103 I provided facts concerning the Republican Party. You were unable to deal with those facts. So, your entire reply consisted of personal insults.

Unfortunately in many American communities, politics, specifically far right wing politics are having a negative effect on learning because the government is restricting teachers from teaching facts/history in full. Teachers are literally being told that they have to present a counter argument for historical figures and events in order to give “opposing views”.

Texas school leader tells teachers to balance Holocaust books with 'opposing' views​

“Peddy then said: "Make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust, that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives."
1650546996153.png

Back
Top Bottom