• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

It's good to know that you have no clue as to what is going on in NJ and NYC. You have no understanding about comparisons and context. This is why your post is both ignorant and pure nonsense.

Thing is, I do. I have a buddy who runs the Jersey City Art School, and I have a couple other friends who live in NJ, as well...not to mention family in NY. And the things they describe...are NO different, than the descriptions I would use for any other hurricane, really. Flooding. No kidding. High winds. Really? Look, it's not that I doubt the severity of the storm...it's that, already, there is a SONG being played on the radio COMMEMORATING the "storm of the century", and the thought that, one year from now, I'm going to be hearing about this **** on the Daily Show, Conan, CNN, Fox, and or any other news show worth watching. All I'm saying is, I've seen **** that would curl your god damn toes, make you real and vomit, yet none of that get's it's yearly mention, or it's own song, or anything else, just a mention on the news, and then on to the next story. Yet I'm supposed to care about THIS ONE STORM THAT HAPPENED TO HIT A POPULATION THAT WAS UNPREPARED FOR IT. Sorry. Call me an asshole, you sure as **** won't be the first to do so, lol. But a man's gotta stand for what he believes in, or fall for anything.

Nobody said this storm was worse than another. That is a delusion.

Local workers should be the ones who benefit from the work that needs to be done as a result of the disaster. PERIOD.

Indeed. Well, let's see...the very title of this thread is Frankenstorm. Then there is....

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugex...a8a826ce80e327&bpcl=37189454&biw=1360&bih=633

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d....r_pw.r_qf.&fp=d0a8a826ce80e327&bpcl=37189454

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugex...a8a826ce80e327&bpcl=37189454&biw=1360&bih=633

Above are google search links for Super Storm, Mega Storm, and Storm of the Century. You'll find links to Sandy within the top 5 on ALL of them on google.

You were saying?

I don't care one iota what you have or haven't seen. I don't care about a stupid song or what anyone says about the storm a year from now. Your assessment that this is just another hurricane are incorrect because you ignore context and comparison, LOCALLY. Preparation is irrelevant. It would be like Miami getting hit with a blizzard and folks complaining that they were unprepared and it was no big deal. It was a big deal to THEM because of context and comparison. That's the issue that seems to elude you. So, I corrected your inability to understand those concepts.

I am. It is no more populated than, say, the COASTAL land of FL. Ever been to Daytona, or Sarasota, Miami, Etc?

Which is irrelevant in context.

In a logistical context, there's no difference between Miami being snowed, or blown away by a hurricane.

What would both events have in common?

-No electricity, and all the problems that come with that.

-inability for civilian travel, or at least greatly inhibited

-lack of basic provisions: food, water and sanitation

-severely inhibited travel by EMS, law enforcement, FEMA, etc.

The only real difference I'm seeing is the ambient temperature.

The types and ways to prepare and clean up before and after a snowstorm are quite different. I doubt that Miami has much salt or plowing trucks on hand.

To be honest, I have TONS of replies to this...but frankly, they are wrong, and I am drunk. You are correct. If Miami got hit with a blizzard that left 5 feet of snow ( A dusting by new england standards) it would likely leave them in the end all be all of butt ****s, in terms of hurt. So, I agree.

Question.

What would the news coveragw look like, as oposed to, say, new england's crisis?

You make a good point.
Let me make another.
I kind of gave up on this string and it's macho dismissers:
"Oh I lived through Hurricane Andrew in Miami with 140 mph winds"

This storm 'only' had 80 mph winds but in the space of 24 hours hit everything from Nags Head, NC, to Narragansett, RI.
And of course up a hundred miles inland.
It was the most heavily populated part of the country as well.
It would, Roughly, be as if a storm hit All of Florida AND half the Gulf Coast in the same storm/day.

The great width of the storm (far bigger than most hurricanes) Piled water up higher in NY Harbor than was ever measured.
Higher than the 1821 Hurricane which was the previous known record.
Imagine how the Midlantic/NE coast has built up since then.
One can't expect that people should have anticipated it in light of that.
re CC's point specifically...
The Biggest victim of 2011's Irene? Vermont!

Another reason I stopped was it was simply too big to report. I couldn't fathom posting all the damage.
NJ, my NYC, LI, CT, so many stories; couldn't get my head around it.
Not to mention my own minor displacement and outage and the mayhem here in midtown Manhattan.
It's still going on.

1) Of course they are minimizing. That's what defines your posts.
2) Nothing I said indicated that I was having a hardship or anything of the sort. I was giving a report of what occurred. So, your sarcasm was an inaccurate presentation of what I said.
3) Your entire post above STILL demonstrates your inability to understand context and comparison. I am not sure whether this is an overall problem of yours or just specific to this issue.

So, based on what you have said in this thread, we have established that you are unable to understand context and comparison, and also cannot accurately interpret what another is saying. Good information to have.

I hope you understand that your pronouncement that you are drunk does not excuse the tone of your posts. You might want to log off.

Question.

What would the news coveragw look like, as oposed to, say, new england's crisis?

Irrelevant to the issue we are discussing.

The types and ways to prepare and clean up before and after a snowstorm are quite different. I doubt that Miami has much salt or plowing trucks on hand.

Miami doesn't have emergency vehicles that can travel through water that's 4+ feet deep, either. Neither does New Orleans, or Plaquemines Parish.

My point being, the challenges of travel, emergency response, electrical service and logistics would be the same in both scenarios.

I don't understand what your problem is.

FL is not known for having a lot of basements like the Northeast. People apparently took shelter in their basements from the winds without anticipating the massive flooding that trapped them there. Also, the NE urban areas have just woefully inadequate infrastructure to deal with that sort of massive flooding IMHO.

The Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy in Ocean City, NJ - Des Plaines, IL Patch

NJ is never gonna be the same. Ocean City has no beaches anymore.
It only feels that way now, the beaches will return, look for the old Christmas tree collection
program this winter.
They stake out piles of old Christmas trees to catch the sand and build the dunes.
From seeing Galveston, it takes about 3 years to get it all back. The down side is if your beach
blocks the flow of sand, other beaches get smaller.

I hear that after the hurricane a snow storm is going on now over there. How is it?

:afraid:

I hear that after the hurricane a snow storm is going on now over there. How is it?

:afraid:
Got at least a foot sitting on my yard in CT.

Got at least a foot sitting on my yard in CT.

Well, a foot isn't that much but it depends on the kind. Heavy, watery snow is nasty, fluffy snow is a joy.

Well, a foot isn't that much but it depends on the kind. Heavy, watery snow is nasty, fluffy snow is a joy.

Not much and a joy as long as your home is heated, warm, and functioning normally.

A whole 'nother kind of hell if you have no electricity, windows blown out, holes in your roof, no hot water.......or worse.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…