• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Foxconn Reconsidering Plans for a Wisconsin Factory Heralded by Trump

Just enough "interest" to dupe people into thinking Trump was going to bring their jobs back. Wouldn't surprise me if the entire thing wasn't a scam to win voters over

I think that's the point the thread is trying to make.

It would not be the first time jobs were promised for an election....

To the bolded:

Yep, I called the bolded the day of the election, too. Though I think Ohio and Florida are likely his, so I'd have to re-examine the map to take a total count.

But he only won the trio you mentioned by the skin of his teeth, and he's slipped far more than that since then. Trump's fall will be at the hands of what I call "Midwestern Sensibility". Midwestern Sensibility is definitely real, and that's what will cause Trump to slip in the Midwest. Midwesterners, particularly Upper Midwesterners, are indeed conservative, but they don't allow their conservatism to otherwise over-ride their sensibilities. There's a lot to like about that (& them).

Unfortunately, I can't speak for Indiana! :2razz:

I agree that Ohio and Florida are his, and likely Wisconsin too. They appear to have been made to believe that they will be getting great access to the Canadian dairy market, which is a lie.

The new NAFTA provides for a .3% expansion over existing limits mostly in skim milk powder and butter.

I wished I had known this 30 years ago, the fact Americans are so easily fooled that is, I would have become a zillionaire selling moon lots beech access.

This story is a little complex so I'm going to do a synopsis. It was heralded a year and a half ago as the start of a 'Midwestern manufacturing renaissance'. Foxconn, the Taiwanese electronics behemoth, would build a $10 billion Wisconsin plant to make flat-screen televisions, creating 13,000 jobs. President Trump later touted the project as “the eighth wonder of the world" and it would be right there in Wisconsin. Former Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and state lawmakers had agreed to more than $4 billion in tax credits and other inducements over a 15-year period, an unusually high figure, for a plant in Mount Pleasant, near Racine.

Basically Foxconn told Republican governors and Trump, "If you cut me 5 billion in taxes, I will invest 10 billion here in plants and bring 13,000 plant jobs for your voters. So they did, they gave Foxconn those billions in tax breaks. But now, Foxconn is saying we will build a research facility, a 'technology hub' instead. No jobs for those republican voters but jobs for highly skilled computer software engineers -probably foreign ones. Oh, and it will be an 'advanced manufacturing plant' meaning 'robots'.

The little towns, in which the plant would be located are at least half a billion out. It cost them that much to seize land and give it to the Foxconn company. So, the plant got free lands, etc. It's calculated that it would take the state until 2043 to recoup the $3 billion handout, which was the largest such subsidy in the state's history. Even if all 13,000 promised jobs went to Wisconsinites, the tab would be more than $230,000 per job created. This company has a history of doing this, all over the world they promise big plans and get great deals but they do not deliver and they always say the same" market changed, we changed the plan " Yesterday, Foxconn spokesperson announced that they have had a change of plan and the great factory in Wisconsin is never going to happen. The State of Wisconsin got screwed out of billions of dollars.

Foxconn Reconsidering Plans for a Wisconsin Factory Heralded by Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/business/foxconn-factory-wisconsin.html

It was heralded a year and a half ago as the start of a Midwestern manufacturing renaissance: Foxconn, the Taiwanese electronics behemoth, would build a $10 billion Wisconsin plant to make flat-screen televisions, creating 13,000 jobs. President Trump later called the project “the eighth wonder of the world.”

Now that prospect looks less certain.

Pointing to “new realities” in the market, the company said Wednesday that it was reassessing the plans, underscoring the difficult economics of manufacturing in the United States. “The global market environment that existed when the project was first announced has changed,” Foxconn said in a statement.

=============================================================

This was Scott Walker, Trump, Paul Ryan and Foxconn exec. doing the 'gold shovel' groundbreaking in Wisconsin
trump_77177296-e1530215713907.jpg

They promised Wisconsin 13,000 new jobs and billion dollar factory but in the end, absolutely nothing. It worked well to get blue collar votes for the 2016 election. Thanks to Scott Walker, Paul Ryan and Donald Trump, Wisconsinites were royally screwed in one of the biggest scams in recent history.

Democrat and republican politicians and government managers have been swing deals with big companies for decades in efforts to lure them to their areas. Only the ill-informed are unaware of how this has always worked. Don't criticize Trump or others for doing what has been done for decades. That is ignorant and unfair.

I agree that Ohio and Florida are his, and likely Wisconsin too. They appear to have been made to believe that they will be getting great access to the Canadian dairy market, which is a lie.

The new NAFTA provides for a .3% expansion over existing limits mostly in skim milk powder and butter.

I wished I had known this 30 years ago, the fact Americans are so easily fooled that is, I would have become a zillionaire selling moon lots beech access.
Nope, I don't think WI is his. They tossed Walker out for a Dem, in the 2018 wave. Like I earlier said, "Midwestern Sensibility" will prevail (I believe).

Back
Top Bottom