• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FOX and Beck are not political

Self-interested. If you really want that on your side, be my guest and call it.

Self-interested? Can you explain that?

Problem with your whole idea here Hoppie is that Fox is mostly correct, and Beck is on the money most of the time. So is it that they are pandering to a specific audience, or is it that the audience is coming to them in droves, simply because it, of all the netwrok news, is the most accurate, and engaging?

I vote the latter..

Next!

Tim-

To expand on you post Tim, when it comes to the news (I'm talking hard news, not political opinion), all the networks are basically accurate in their reporting. It's more a matter of the angle (or angles) each network takes when they report on a story, as well as which stories they report on, and which they choose to ignore. All the top news stories you see reported on by ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN, you will also see reported on by Fox News... but often it doesn't work the other way around. Fox will often cover big or significant stories that the other networks dismiss as unimportant (based on their political perspective and beliefs) and simply ignore. This is what sets Fox News apart from the others.

Fox News may tilt to the right, but they are very aware that there are two sides of the political spectrum in America. They understand that each side can put very different levels of importance on the news of the day, so they make sure they report on the stories that are most important to each, regardless of the political implications. That's something that's seriously lacking with the other networks.

Finding important stories Fox has covered in the past, that were ignored by most or all the other networks because of the political implications, isn't hard to do at all. Van Jones comes to mind off hand... But a person would be hard pressed to find a significant story or event that was covered by ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN, with or without political implications, that Fox didn't cover.

Self-interested? Can you explain that?
Beck cares about politics so far as his interests go. He supports politics that enriches his own person and protects his own person with zero thought to anyone else, ever.

If it doesn't directly effect or enrich him, he couldn't care less.

That's my theory.

Beck cares about politics so far as his interests go. He supports politics that enriches his own person and protects his own person with zero thought to anyone else, ever.

If it doesn't directly effect or enrich him, he couldn't care less.

That's my theory.

Do you believe that Beck isn't personally charitable? In essence, he makes his money and keeps it all for himself or uses it to glorify himself. Do you believe this?

Yes it's all one big plan to keep the dims in power.. It's only "clever" if it has even a remote chance of being true. Do you believe it is true, J6P? :)

Tim-
No, I never said Fox is conspiring to keep the Dems in power. What I said was they profit from Dems being in office. That's true no matter how you look at it.

What I thought was clever was the OP's idea that not every one at Fox necessarily wants Republicans in office. Althought clearly Rupert Murdoch does.

when it comes to the news (I'm talking hard news, not political opinion), all the networks are basically accurate in their reporting. It's more a matter of the angle (or angles) each network takes when they report on a story, as well as which stories they report on, and which they choose to ignore.

yeah.... uh, huh.... "angles". FOX has lots of "angles". consider:
This morning, the Bureau of Labor Statistics did not report that unemployment currently stood at 11.4 percent. They did not do so because the economic recovery act reduced unemployment by as much as 1.8 percent. That figure comes from the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office.
swell.. all the major outlets reported it. of course, not everyone reported it the same way. FOX, denies the validity of the report while never actually mentioning the facts.... its headline reads "Stimulus Figures Questioned Amid Call for Economic Team Firings".
House Republican Leader John Boehner, in a speech Tuesday, said President Obama should throw up his hands and start anew on the economy. He called on the president to accept the resignations of Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner, National Economic Council chief Larry Summers and the rest of his economic team.
ya see? Goerring would be envious. it is not so much that they do not report news, it is the "angles".... it is that they report the news in the way they want it to be read. they do not mention, for instance that:
Independent analysts concur that more than 2 million workers would be unemployed but for the stimulus bill signed into law by President Obama and vehemently opposed by Congressional Republicans
nor do they mention that many economists are arguing for ANOTHER stimulus to further fuel the economy and lower unemployment.
source: MediaMatters

it is not the only such incident... they do it all the time, often massaging the information to produce absolute falsehoods. such as claiming that the Stimulus was more costly than the Iraq War. trouble is, the stimulus number they used was inflated by 50b and the Iraq deflated by an even greater amount. fact: The war comparison is almost completely the opposite of what fox reported.

FOX is NOT a news reporting organization - it is a republican propagada machine.

geo.

First, I have to apologize for not being clear in my post. I was referring to network television news broadcasts, not stories on their websites. Stories on the web are a dime a dozen.

swell.. all the major outlets reported it. of course, not everyone reported it the same way. FOX, denies the validity of the report while never actually mentioning the facts.... its headline reads "Stimulus Figures Questioned Amid Call for Economic Team Firings".

If you want to prove your point in response to my post, you need to present how that story was reported on Special Report, Studio B, or another hard news show on Fox, compared to how it was reported by the other network news shows.

nor do they mention that many economists are arguing for ANOTHER stimulus to further fuel the economy and lower unemployment.
source: MediaMatters

Just to be clear, that is not related to the CBO report, just as a Republican economist questioning those figures isn't related to the report either.

If you want to dispute my post, I recommend you do your own investigating rather than relying on Media Matters to feed you spin, because it will only make you look foolish and uninformed in the end.

First, I have to apologize for not being clear in my post. I was referring to network television news broadcasts, not stories on their websites.
you were clear enough. If I am to cite a reference to a FOX source, i do not really have the ability to rebroadcast. FOX.com stories, including this one, are frequently printed versions of broadcasts.... you might note the lil flash embedded in the page.
If you want to prove your point in response to my post, you need to...
no, i don't. FOX is responsible for what FOX prints as well as broadcasts. FOX special reports are a dime a dozen too... and I can SAY whatever I want about a broadcast just as you can say whatever you like... if i cannot show it, MY opinion has no more merit than YOUR opinion... unless FOX does me the kindness of putting in in a format that allows me to do so... as they did in this case.
Just to be clear, that is not related to the CBO report, just as a Republican economist questioning those figures isn't related to the report either.
well, i am afraid you failed... you are not very clear.

short of climbing into Murdoch's window and asking him, I must needs rely on reliable sources - MM is a far more reliable source than FOX is.

geo.

Finding important stories Fox has covered in the past, that were ignored by most or all the other networks because of the political implications, isn't hard to do at all. Van Jones comes to mind off hand... But a person would be hard pressed to find a significant story or event that was covered by ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN, with or without political implications, that Fox didn't cover.

Maybe that's because Van Jones wasn't a story. The panic attack Glenn Beck had over some mid-level bureaucrat who had said some dumb things in the past was completely fabricated.

gotta get outta here, but... OK... MM is viewed as partisan, so how about Fairness And Accuracy In Media:
Conservatives often defend Fox’s rightward slant by claiming that it simply counterbalances a predominantly left-leaning media. But previous FAIR studies have found that, across the supposedly “liberal” media, Republican sources dominate—and Fox simply skews even farther to the right..Fox argues that its news shows, like Special Report, play it straight...the evidence shows that Fox’s news programming has been clearly ideological from the outset.
or SourceWatch:
Republicans made up 89 percent of Fox News' partisan guests, outnumbering Democrats 50 to 6. Avowed conservatives made up 71 percent of guests. When liberal guests do appear they are usually outnumbered by 2 to 3 to even 4 to one.

FOX deliberately caters to ignorance. PEW Research Center For The People And The Press ratings of viewers knowledge and viewing habits shows that compared to 53% of NewsHour viewers with a high knowledge of the stories presented, FOX rates at 35%. Even Limbaugh's audience and internet blogs beat FOX.

and it is no secret. Former FOX news people tell the story. according to former Fox News producer Charlie Reina
The roots of Fox News Channel's day-to-day on-air bias are actual and direct. They come in the form of an executive memo distributed electronically each morning, addressing what stories will be covered and, often, suggesting how they should be covered. To the newsroom personnel responsible for the channel's daytime programming, The Memo is the bible. . . .

The Memo was born with the Bush administration, early in 2001, and, intentionally or not, has ensured that the administration's point of view consistently comes across on FNC.

Matt Gross, formerly of FOX, commented on Reina's comment:
Let me just say that the right-wing bias was there in the newsroom, up-front and obvious, from the day a certain executive editor was sent down from the channel to bring us in line with their coverage. His first directive to us: Seek out stories that cater to angry, middle-aged white men who listen to talk radio and yell at their televisions. (Oh, how I'd love to stick quotation marks around what is nearly a direct quote.)
and this deliberate ignorance fuels national policy:
A year-long study by the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes reported that Americans who relied on the Fox News Channel for their coverage of the Iraq war were the most likely to believe misinformation about the war, whatever their political affiliation may be. Those mistaken facts, the study found, increased viewers' support for the war.

who else?
U.S. District Judge D. Brock Hornby found the Fox News network to be unprofessional in reporting false and “outrageous quotations” without confirming the accuracy of such quotes. Hornby also called the network “gullible” for reporting portions of a fake story that was “so absurd” it “should have caused them to question the accuracy” of what they were reporting on the air.

FOX is a GOP house organ. You have to be a complete moron to consider it a legitimate news source.

geo.

Look GEO, it's really simple. Show me a story with political or ideological implications that all the other networks reported on in their newscasts, that fox didn't.

Fox not only covers the latest news that the other networks do, but they cover the stories that the other networks ignore because it doesn't fit with their ideological view of the world.

That's one of the reasons that Fox News is as successful as it is.

Hoplite - I read your post and substituted "all 24/7 news stations - other than Cspan" for "Fox News" and "all high-end, over paid fire-n-brimstone media dogs who yap on these channels alot" for "Glenn Beck" and found your post to be very true.

Very true *of everyone* who falls into the 'news for ratings' Genre.

Everyone at MSNBC
Everyone at CNN
Everyone at the BBC
Everyone at Fox

and so forth - you get my point.

Fox is not some sort of unusual beast with odd hosts and unique problem - EVERYONE has their 'wild card' host, the 'bitch' hostess. The 'asshole' host and the 'preacher' host . . . it's a world of host-stereotypes and political-fudge-packing partisan hackery.

True, it's annoying though.

The belief that Beck's thoughts are some how original, is insulting to all those who put a lot of work and sincere intent to create them.
He takes some good or decent ideas, runs them through his idiot audience machine and it makes people like me, who agree with a few of those ideas, look like an idiot because we share the same basic premise.

He doesn't run his ideas through his Keith Olbermann,s audience machine, he prays about them. He's made some pretty good choices the last few years, so I guess it's working. He also gives 10% to his church. So they are making out pretty good too. It's a win win situation. Maybe we all should pray on things more often. Just sayin'.....

He doesn't run his ideas through his Keith Olbermann,s audience machine, he prays about them. He's made some pretty good choices the last few years, so I guess it's working. He also gives 10% to his church. So they are making out pretty good too. It's a win win situation. Maybe we all should pray on things more often. Just sayin'.....

Ah yes - tithing. Such a status symbol for many.

Another means of dividing a man from his money - he's the type to be suckered into buying indulgences for the dead.

Look GEO, it's really simple. Show me a story with political or ideological implications that all the other networks reported on in their newscasts, that fox didn't.

Fox not only covers the latest news that the other networks do, but they cover the stories that the other networks ignore because it doesn't fit with their ideological view of the world.

That's one of the reasons that Fox News is as successful as it is.
Here's MSNBC
They covered Rev Wright...a little....after Obama was elected and was thrown under the bus
They covered Van Jones...a blurb...that he had resigned after wks/mo of being covered on Fox
They covered the corrupt Acorn...a bit...after someone finally came up with what they said was an edited tape
They covered the New Black Panther voter intimidation.....a little.....after all charges were dropped,
They covered Shirley sherrod after they found out she wasn't a racist and they could tell lies about Fox for weeks over it, while ignoring Naacp and the Obama administration.
They covered the Discovery Channel evacuation, crazy guy with bombs stapped to him and gun who was killed by cops. Then they found out he was an environmental militant who was a fan of Al gores and An Inconvenient Truth. No story there.

Back
Top Bottom