• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fourth of July weekend toll: 82 shot, 14 of them fatally, in Chicago.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Here is what took place over the 4th Weekend, while everyone was partying. The numbers speak from themselves. Although Chicago Police says the shootings were down from last year. It continued on Monday night with 6 more. What say ye?

For 10 minutes, it seemed like the shooting was everywhere in the South Chicago neighborhood.

It started when someone shot and wounded a couple, then two people fired at the shooter, then there was a chase and shots exchanged and a man sitting on a porch was hit. Responding officers kept cutting each other off on their radios as they reported other gunfire in the area late Sunday night and early Monday morning.

Then the heavy equipment rolled in: A helicopter and SUVs packed with lockers of rifles. SWAT teams in green coveralls patrolled the streets with uniformed officers.

It was just one of dozens of shooting scenes across Chicago over the long Fourth of July weekend. In all, at least 82 people were shot, 14 of them fatally, since Thursday afternoon when two woman were shot as they sat outside a two-flat within a block of Garfield Park. Five of the people were shot by police over 36 hours on Friday and Saturday, including two boys 14 and 16 who were killed when they allegedly refused to drop their guns.....snip~

82 shot, 14 fatally, in Chicago over July Fourth - Chicago Tribune

Here is what took place over the 4th Weekend, while everyone was partying. The numbers speak from themselves. Although Chicago Police says the shootings were down from last year. It continued on Monday night with 6 more. What say ye?

For 10 minutes, it seemed like the shooting was everywhere in the South Chicago neighborhood.

It started when someone shot and wounded a couple, then two people fired at the shooter, then there was a chase and shots exchanged and a man sitting on a porch was hit. Responding officers kept cutting each other off on their radios as they reported other gunfire in the area late Sunday night and early Monday morning.

Then the heavy equipment rolled in: A helicopter and SUVs packed with lockers of rifles. SWAT teams in green coveralls patrolled the streets with uniformed officers.

It was just one of dozens of shooting scenes across Chicago over the long Fourth of July weekend. In all, at least 82 people were shot, 14 of them fatally, since Thursday afternoon when two woman were shot as they sat outside a two-flat within a block of Garfield Park. Five of the people were shot by police over 36 hours on Friday and Saturday, including two boys 14 and 16 who were killed when they allegedly refused to drop their guns.....snip~

82 shot, 14 fatally, in Chicago over July Fourth - Chicago Tribune

What exactly does this tell you?

That the Southside ain't no joke.

This is why I don't traverse past Madison if I can help it.

It also tells me Rahm's idiocy in closing down the Task Force is a failure, like everything else he's done.

It also tells me, that gang bangers are gonna bang, and that honest, law abiding citizens need to arm themselves.

Heya OD.
hat.gif
besides hot times and summer in the city.

Well with the alleged Strictest Gun Laws in the Nation.....I don't think they are working. I don't seeing them getting guns out the hands of those who the LE's say they are and who they always say they will. Do you?

It also tells me Rahm's idiocy in closing down the Task Force is a failure, like everything else he's done.

It also tells me, that gang bangers are gonna bang, and that honest, law abiding citizens need to arm themselves.

Right. Because bullets flying randomly from multiple sources is sure to solve the problem

Right. Because bullets flying randomly from multiple sources is sure to solve the problem

Well, doing more of the same old **** doesn't seem to be working, does it?

Heya OD.
hat.gif

Well with the alleged Strictest Gun Laws in the Nation.....I don't think they are working. I don't seeing them getting guns out the hands of those who the LE's say they are and who they always say they will. Do you?

Hey MMC

I think cutting down on this kind of violence needs to be addressed on multiple levels. Gun laws are something I see as a critical part of the solution but clearly the violent culture within these communities needs to be addressed as well. To me this means get the illegal guns out, cracking down on those who posses and use them and dig deeper into the reasons young men turn to that life in the first place. I think very few people turn to a life of violence and thuggery because it's what they always wanted to be when they grew up. I think it's a choice some make because they are drawn to it and some make under duress. I don't know, it's some complicated and out of control. I can't offer solutions to a problem of this magnitude and I won't pretend I can. I just find it heart-breaking.

They are tearing it up.....aren't they Chez. :2wave: Which that's just the city proper. They shot someone for a phone.....people shooting each other over what they say out their mouths.....and of course the Bangers. Drive bys, and the Pee-Wees out cracking a whip. Then the Divide.....the People and the Folks. I don't even see the Cops out trying to get any Truces, none of it.

Where is Jesse Jackson? Where is Sharptones who had to come here for show. So he can say he lived on the West Side? Where are the Politicians out walking with Pastors and trying to calm people down?

Heya OD.
hat.gif

No they aren't nor will they anywhere else. Chicago is a poster child for what not to do. They have been a sanctuary city for illegals for decades. The wealthy love having illegals to clean their houses for $40.00 a pop or do their lawn work cheap on the sly. They have promoted one government program after another making folks dependent while not demanding personal responsibility. They have practiced forever corporatism where the big wigs get their palms greased and the little guy gets the shaft. This seems to get by when the economy is good but let hard times hit and it all starts to fall apart. When people aren't made to work to eat, they tend to have a whole lot more time on their hands to get into trouble. When the handouts start to get cut, it's like cutting off a heroine addict and violence will follow.

Hey MMC

I think cutting down on this kind of violence needs to be addressed on multiple levels. Gun laws are something I see as a critical part of the solution but clearly the violent culture within these communities needs to be addressed as well. To me this means get the illegal guns out, cracking down on those who posses and use them and dig deeper into the reasons young men turn to that life in the first place. I think very few people turn to a life of violence and thuggery because it's what they always wanted to be when they grew up. I think it's a choice some make because they are drawn to it and some make under duress. I don't know, it's some complicated and out of control. I can't offer solutions to a problem of this magnitude and I won't pretend I can. I just find it heart-breaking.

One of the problems now is the age of Bangers OD.....they are a lot younger and its being young and holding Rank. A lot of them know what surrounds them.....a lot think they can make the dash. Get the cash.....and figure to play it loose and fast. The drugs will bring the money.....then money brings everything else. They listen to no one.....not those older to them and for many, they will even take out their own.

Plus Emanuel knew this when he closed down a lot of schools. Forcing neighborhoods to go other schools wherein they crossed gang lines/ neighborhoods. Which it was all leading up to as soon as they got out for summer.

The calls were coming in so fast that the cops couldn't even finish the call they was on.

I really hate when Innocent people pay the price because of the bangers. But your Right.....they live with violence from the time they can walk and play outside. Somewhere the cycle has to be broken.

No they aren't nor will they anywhere else. Chicago is a poster child for what not to do. They have been a sanctuary city for illegals for decades. The wealthy love having illegals to clean their houses for $40.00 a pop or do their lawn work cheap on the sly. They have promoted one government program after another making folks dependent while not demanding personal responsibility. They have practiced forever corporatism where the big wigs get their palms greased and the little guy gets the shaft. This seems to get by when the economy is good but let hard times hit and it all starts to fall apart. When people aren't made to work to eat, they tend to have a whole lot more time on their hands to get into trouble. When the handouts start to get cut, it's like cutting off a heroine addict and violence will follow.

Heya V
hello2.gif
and at the same time Guitierrez(sp) is trying to get BO to push Congress to give Comprehensive Immigration Reform.

We also Had the one Major Organization snitch out another to a task force and that a lot of fighting was due to the drug trafficking coming from the cartels. Which naturally has Latinos and Blacks going after each other.

hey are a lot younger and its being young and holding Rank. A lot of them know what surrounds them.....a lot think they can make the dash. Get the cash.....and figure to play it loose and fast. The drugs will bring the money.....then money brings everything else. They listen to no one.....not those older to them and for many, they will even take out their own.

I really hate when Innocent people pay the price because of the bangers. But your Right.....they live with violence from the time they can walk and play outside. Somewhere the cycle has to be broken.

To me the key word here is Innocent and you're absolutely right. I won't for a second prioritize the right of someone like that 62yr old woman that was shot at under the kid who's raised in and around violence, but that kid is a victim too. This does not diminish his level of responsibility but helps us to see him as a human with a different potential if provided opportunity and direction. I raised a son on my own, I get it. They need a firm hand and direction and sometimes honestly just a smack upside the head. (most of them) I'm saying this because I don't want to seem out of touch with the reality of what it would take to "re-direct" these kids. I'm not suggesting we waltz in with a bucket of flowers and a smile and everything will be okay.

Take it like the border issue. Its not really a problem.

Heya Crue :2wave: That's more shot in a weekend than that of our Troopers in Afghanistan for the whole year. Pretty much all in less than 72 hrs.

To me the key word here is Innocent and you're absolutely right. I won't for a second prioritize the right of someone like that 62yr old woman that was shot at under the kid who's raised in and around violence, but that kid is a victim too. This does not diminish his level of responsibility but helps us to see him as a human with a different potential if provided opportunity and direction. I raised a son on my own, I get it. They need a firm hand and direction and sometimes honestly just a smack upside the head. (most of them) I'm saying this because I don't want to seem out of touch with the reality of what it would take to "re-direct" these kids. I'm not suggesting we waltz in with a bucket of flowers and a smile and everything will be okay.

Well they did come out with some strategies.....but even Mentors can't be around all the time. Parents or parent do have to be involved. So should other relatives. Still for many.....their whole family is part of the same organization. They still get guns.

OVERVIEW OF CHICAGO’S VIOLENCE REDUCTION STRATEGIES

I. PREVENTION: IMPROVING & EXPANDING OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUTH

With an increased focus on violence prevention, the City has nearly tripled its investment in meaningful opportunities for youth, including:

• $13 million in afterschool opportunities for nearly 16,000 youth. This represents a 25 percent increase in funding since I took office in 2011 allowing the City to serve 3,000 more youth each year.
• $14.5 million in summer jobs for more than 22,000 youth. This represents a 150 percent increase in funding, more than doubling the number of youth served by City-funded programs since 2011.
• The City has partnered with the University of Chicago to design the Match tutoring program. The program pro- vided nearly 700 at-risk students with intensive one-on-one tutors. Early results show a drop in student misconducts by 67 percent, a drop in violent arrests by 50 percent and re- duced course failures by 37 percent. The pilot also closed the achievement test gap by two thirds.
• Launched three new student re-engagement centers that have counseled more than 700 disconnected youth, creating individual success and graduation plans for each student they met. More than 50 percent of these students either re-engaged or are on-track to re-engage with school this coming year.
• Tripled the City’s investment in the “Becoming a Man” (BAM) mentoring program, which has reduced violent arrests for participants by 44 percent, increased graduation rates by approximately 10 percent, and reduced failing grades by 37 percent. The City has committed to increasing funding for BAM to $2 million. More than 3,000 youth have been enrolled in men- toring programs like BAM, which was featured in the New York Times for its outstanding results. Both President Obama and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan have spent time observing the program in Chicago. In fact, a BAM participant introduced the President at the “My Brother’s Keeper” announcement event at the White House......snip~

They are tearing it up.....aren't they Chez. :2wave: Which that's just the city proper. They shot someone for a phone.....people shooting each other over what they say out their mouths.....and of course the Bangers. Drive bys, and the Pee-Wees out cracking a whip. Then the Divide.....the People and the Folks. I don't even see the Cops out trying to get any Truces, none of it.

Where is Jesse Jackson? Where is Sharptones who had to come here for show. So he can say he lived on the West Side? Where are the Politicians out walking with Pastors and trying to calm people down?

Well, say what you want about Daley, he shut Gangster City down.

Same methods need to be employed but expanded throughout the South and West sides...(in Uptown and parts of Rogers Park too, on the North)

With some of the most intrusive and strict gun laws in the country and with a Democratic led government since, who can remember when -- Why does the Left continue to push forth the same failed policies that have done absolutely nothing to solve the problems of this city?

It's like they're stuck on stupid. I mean damn...

With some of the most intrusive and strict gun laws in the country and with a Democratic led government since, who can remember when -- Why does the Left continue to push forth the same failed policies that have done absolutely nothing to solve the problems of this city?

It's like they're stuck on stupid. I mean damn...

Yeah, and VanceMack had a thread up from last weekend when 13 got shot.

That some people are poor shots or are arming themselves with the wrong type of firearm.

14 out of 82 is pretty bad and it's not mentioned how many shots were fired and couldn't even hit their target.

Here on the "Left Coast" the L.A.Co. Sheriffs Dept. did a study and found that 70% of those who were shot in drive byes were innocent bystanders. That black and Latino gang members are such bad shots that your safer if you're the target.

That some people are poor shots or are arming themselves with the wrong type of firearm.

14 out of 82 is pretty bad and it's not mentioned how many shots were fired and couldn't even hit their target.

Here on the "Left Coast" the L.A.Co. Sheriffs Dept. did a study and found that 70% of those who were shot in drive byes were innocent bystanders. That black and Latino gang members are such bad shots that your safer if you're the target.

This seems to be a pretty good argument for gun control.

Yeah, and VanceMack had a thread up from last weekend when 13 got shot.

I've actually thought about taking book on summer violence here in the city... Over/Under for this weekend is currently 10...

This seems to be a pretty good argument for gun control.

Or that some demographics with in America aren't capable of exercising their Constitutional Rights.

In California, most of its progressive commie gun laws are a result of the Black Panthers, Crips, Bloods and Latino gangs. These bull **** laws only affect law abiding citizens. Criminals ignore the law, that's why so many are sitting in prison waiting for Governor Jerry (Moonbeam) Brown to release them back into society.

Now this isn't racist but just plain old dumb stupid math.
When you crunch the numbers of gun violence in America and don't include gun violence committed by blacks and Latinos, guess what ? Our gun violence in America is about the same as northern Europe and even lower than most eastern and southern European nations.

random is not an accurate depiction. Disarming honest people is not a particularly intelligent way of restraining scumbags

Back
Top Bottom