• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

for those who installed WIndows 7 - 32 bit or 64 bit question

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This isn't a Mac vs PC or Linux vs Microsoft thread - I have a Mac and I have a linux PC - I need to upgrade my tablet pc and am wondering whether to go 64 or 32 bit - but it's an older computer.

If you have the time and you have upgraded to windows 7 (not bought it as standard on a new computer) which version did you buy and do you have any feedback on whether you bought the right version or not for the hardware you use?

Thanks in advance.

This isn't a Mac vs PC or Linux vs Microsoft thread - I have a Mac and I have a linux PC - I need to upgrade my tablet pc and am wondering whether to go 64 or 32 bit - but it's an older computer.

If you have the time and you have upgraded to windows 7 (not bought it as standard on a new computer) which version did you buy and do you have any feedback on whether you bought the right version or not for the hardware you use?

Thanks in advance.

Ultimately, for most people it boils down to a simple question:

How much RAM do you have?

If its below 3.3 Gb, than go with 32 bit, if its more than go with 64 bit. (Technically the limit is 4gb, but there are some other address spaces and a few other things you have to take into account.)

If you aren't sure how much RAM you have, right click on "my computer" and choose properties. It will tell you on the general tab.

It can get more complicated with other stuff like PAE and what not, but if you know that stuff, you wouldn't need to ask.

Last edited:
I checked mine and it is 64 bit. I have 12G memory.

Ultimately, for most people it boils down to a simple question:

How much RAM do you have?

If its below 3.3 Gb, than go with 32 bit, if its more than go with 64 bit.

Thanks, I have 3GB but would install more.

-- It can get more complicated with other stuff like PAE and what not, but if you know that stuff, you wouldn't need to ask.

I don't know that stuff.. I am mainly unsure whether the CPU or motherboard would enable the 64bit version to run. Basically I run an Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 2Ghz) in the thing and I wanted to know if it's too old to support 64bits. I didn't want to spend the money buying 64bit Windows 7 and then have the installer tell me the installation wouldn't work.

3 GB is usually more than enough for the normal user.

I don't know that stuff.. I am mainly unsure whether the CPU or motherboard would enable the 64bit version to run. Basically I run an Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 2Ghz) in the thing and I wanted to know if it's too old to support 64bits. I didn't want to spend the money buying 64bit Windows 7 and then have the installer tell me the installation wouldn't work.

Intel® Core

That would be a no... surprisingly. It can not handle a 64 bit OS according to the above link. Thought they stopped making those kind of chips long ago, and while this chip is 4 years old, ... still

I checked mine and it is 64 bit. I have 12G memory.

booooooooooooooooooooooooooo I hate youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... mumbles over his 4 GB ram.. grrrr

If you put in more ram later and want to actually use it, you will need to be 64bit and that will require a reinstall of the OS (you can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit).

Intel® Core Looks like it can't do 64bit. So I guess your choice has been made for you.

3 GB is usually more than enough for the normal user.

I do lots of heavy Photoshop work with really large files. I also need to run various graphic heavy software - usually simultaneously.

-- Intel® Core

That would be a no... surprisingly. It can not handle a 64 bit OS according to the above link. Thought they stopped making those kind of chips long ago, and while this chip is 4 years old, ... still

-- Intel® Core Looks like it can't do 64bit. So I guess your choice has been made for you.

OK, 32bit it is then, I'll probably upgrade to a brand new tablet in a year or so. Thanks for the help guys.

My workhorse is still a dell XPS M1330 which is a dual core. I run 64 bit, 8 gb memory. From our findings 8gb is the MINIMUM you want to run with 64 bit.

This system, runs fine. faster even than the previous 32 bit operating system

I do lots of heavy Photoshop work with really large files. I also need to run various graphic heavy software - usually simultaneously.

OK, 32bit it is then, I'll probably upgrade to a brand new tablet in a year or so. Thanks for the help guys.

system.jpg

Last edited:

With your processor, if you install a server version of windows, you can work around the 4gb limit, but even then you can still only dedicate 2gb to a process, so you might run into some trouble depending on the size of the pictures.

Upgrade then. Ram > all with that, and you cant get more than 3.2 gb ram.

You mean laptop right? :)

-- You mean laptop right? :)

Yeah it's a laptop but with a swivel screen and a pressure sentitive wacom digitiser built into the screen. Fujitsu and a couple of other companies make slates too which I might go for instead. Less weight to lug around when I'm out and about in the field - perfect for Art / Design and Visualisation.

Back
Top Bottom