• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For Republicans/Conservatives: Party Support and SSM

How would it affect your vote if the republican party did not oppose SSM?

• Total voters
I don't disagree with you here, I'm more concerned about those who tend to quote scripture as a rationale for their position on a particular issue without accepting that there are many moral people in the world who aren't the least bit religious or who avoid religion because of the corruption that rules it. Those people may be more accepting of the position otherwise and are turned off by the stridently religious approach to government policy. Even many people of faith dislike their religious leaders and voices being too actively involved in government policy discussions.

....so your problem is that people may have different reasons for coming to their conclusions? :confused: I see no particularly better reason for you to be worried about my faith informing my views than me being worried about atheism informing anothers'.

....so your problem is that people may have different reasons for coming to their conclusions? :confused: I see no particularly better reason for you to be worried about my faith informing my views than me being worried about atheism informing anothers'.

I'm not worried about your faith informing your views, you miss my point such as it is.

I'm cautioning that using the doctrine of your faith as a means of justifying your position in a matter does not advance your position among those less or not religious and my, in fact, harm your position. You should be able to explain and promote your position without reverting to scripture in order to rationalize it. As an example, saying that gay marriage is evil because the bible says men shall not lay down with men is not a strong argument against gay marriage even though you may have a strong argument. People may simply dismiss your argument by referring to the depravity of some in religious hierarchy. However, if you make your argument based on sound, moral reasoning, even if that reasoning is founded in your faith, and that sound moral reasoning speaks to what people also feel themselves, they may be more accepting of your position.

Basically, people don't like being preached to but they do acknowledge and welcome people when they reason with them.

Repubs who decide their vote on this issue would likely stay home at best, which is where they belong on election day anyway.

Back
Top Bottom