• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida man dies after winning roach-eating contest

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What other silly contests do you have in there?

(CNN) -- A 32-year-old man downed dozens of roaches and worms to win a python at a Florida reptile store, then collapsed and died outside minutes later.

Edward Archbold was among 20 to 30 contestants participating in Friday night's "Midnight Madness" event at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach, authorities said.

The participants' goal: consume as many insects and worms as they could to take home a $850 python.

Archbold swallowed roach after roach, worm after worm. While the store didn't say exactly how many Archbold consumed, the owner told CNN affiliate WPLG that he was "the life of the party."

"He really made our night more fun," Ben Siegel told the station.

Soon after the contest was over, Archbold fell ill and began to vomit, the Broward County Sheriff's Office said Monday.

A friend called for medical help. Then, Archbold himself dialed 911, the store said in a Facebook post.

Eventually, he fell to the ground outside the store, the sheriff's office said. An ambulance took him to North Broward Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Florida man dies after winning roach-eating contest - CNN.com

What the hell - I guess that underscores how important it is to really chew your food before you swallow.

There is absolutely NOTHING I want desperately enough to eat even a single cockroach. I hope they're able to determine COD. Seems like it was too quick to have been from anything bacterial in the roaches.

I was hungry this morning.

Now.... not so much. :vomit:

leads me to wonder if this was allergy related. when i went to an ENT a few years back, they gave me the allergy screen. one of the sectors was an extract from cockroaches. the reaction was nearly instantaneous; i had a welt the size of a silver dollar, and it itched like you wouldn't believe.

the ENT explained to me that the insects get into ventilation systems in buildings, die, and then slowly turn to dust, which is then distributed to the whole building. result : miserable allergies for some people.

i'll also add that there's no prize that you could offer me that would incite me to enter an eating contest of any kind because **** that.

leads me to wonder if this was allergy related. when i went to an ENT a few years back, they gave me the allergy screen. one of the sectors was an extract from cockroaches. the reaction was nearly instantaneous; i had a welt the size of a silver dollar, and it itched like you wouldn't believe.

the ENT explained to me that the insects get into ventilation systems in buildings, die, and then slowly turn to dust, which is then distributed to the whole building. result : miserable allergies for some people.

i'll also add that there's no prize that you could offer me that would incite me to enter an eating contest of any kind because **** that.

That's an interesting proposal. I hadn't thought of allergies, but it's surely possible. When you're eating insects, you might ignore some of warning signs of an allergic reaction (scratchy, itchy throat, for example) thinking it's just related to the nature of a 6-legged, crunchy creepy crawly.

There also could be a pesticide factor?

That's an interesting proposal. I hadn't thought of allergies, but it's surely possible. When you're eating insects, you might ignore some of warning signs of an allergic reaction (scratchy, itchy throat, for example) thinking it's just related to the nature of a 6-legged, crunchy creepy crawly.

most likely anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

food poisoning generally takes 12 to 24 hours for onset, and it takes longer than that to be fatal. still, the idiots who designed this contest are idiots.

A minor tragedy. Nothing wrong with entering the contest or winning it, but I reckon a man ought to try eating a handful of roaches and worms before he tries eating a bucket full.

At least he died before he took the snake home, so it wasn't left without someone to take care of it.

he also won the darwin award for 2012

As I like to say, this was a case of natural selection. I doubt that validity of the cockroaches being captive bred. Lots of pet stores make claims that are false, just to serve customers at a fraction of the cost.

At least now eating live cockroaches won't catch on as a popular sport.

That's distasteful. His death wasn't that stupid and didn't indicate anything about his reproductive fitness.
Totally disagree. His death was eminently stupid.

I wonder if the store will be liable for simply holding the contest? I smell a lawsuit coming.

Just another weekend in Florida.

I was living in Florida when a state roadway worker was using a tractor with extended rotating blades to cut grass. It stopped cutting. He raised the blade hydraulically to assess the problem. The blade abruptly started again and whacked of the guy's johnson. Another worker found the missing unit and picked it up with one of those trash pick-up reachers and delivered it to the hospital. The hospital grafted it to the guy's arm to keep it alive while they gave his nether region a chance to begin healing. The arm dick thrived. Eventually they grafted the arm dick back on and the guy reported was able to return to a life of sex and short sleeve shirts.

When I read that story, while living in St. Augustine, it dawned on me that in Florida it was a non-story and that I had become as jaded and strange as all the other locals. People living in Florida see **** you wouldn't believe and they see it daily.

Back
Top Bottom