• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida: “Tread on us. Please.”

ataraxia

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Hilarious op-ed from FL:

“You see, Hurricane Ian has temporarily washed away our bootstraps with the storm surge. And now we can’t pull them up on our own…

Freedom, shmeedom. We’ve suddenly outgrown that pablum for the feeble-minded. Please send FEMA.

We realize that some people may point out that our beloved governor, when he was a Tea Party member of Congress, was one of just 67 U.S. House members who voted against allowing the Federal Emergency Management Agency to pay out claims to the New York and New Jersey residents who held federal flood insurance policies during SuperStorm Sandy.

"I sympathize with the victims of Hurricane Sandy and believe that those who purchased flood insurance should have their claims paid," DeSantis had said. "At the same time, allowing the program to increase its debt by another $9.7 billion with no plan to offset the spending with cuts elsewhere is not fiscally responsible."

I can assure you, Gov. DeSantis is not talking about fiscal responsibility taking precedence to federal payouts to Florida flood victims after Hurricane Ian.

In fact, while the storm was coming ashore this week, DeSantis was already asking President Joe Biden to order FEMA to write a blank check to Florida by providing 100 percent federal cost sharing for debris removal and emergency protective measures in the state for the next 60 days, with a 90 percent federal cost sharing burden after that initial period.

If DeSantis only knew that Biden’s immediate response to the Florida-bound storm would be magnanimous — “We’ll be there every step of the way,” Biden said — our governor may have been less petty and juvenile in his Fox News performances.

Oh, and Massachusetts, thanks for sending us whatever you can in storm relief.

I know, we’ve recently sent you some desperate asylum seekers from Venezuela, unceremoniously dropping them on Martha's Vineyard. Looking back on it, we behaved like a bunch of delinquents playing a game of ding-dong-dash but with people’s lives.”

Hilarious op-ed from FL:

“You see, Hurricane Ian has temporarily washed away our bootstraps with the storm surge. And now we can’t pull them up on our own…

Freedom, shmeedom. We’ve suddenly outgrown that pablum for the feeble-minded. Please send FEMA.

We realize that some people may point out that our beloved governor, when he was a Tea Party member of Congress, was one of just 67 U.S. House members who voted against allowing the Federal Emergency Management Agency to pay out claims to the New York and New Jersey residents who held federal flood insurance policies during SuperStorm Sandy.

"I sympathize with the victims of Hurricane Sandy and believe that those who purchased flood insurance should have their claims paid," DeSantis had said. "At the same time, allowing the program to increase its debt by another $9.7 billion with no plan to offset the spending with cuts elsewhere is not fiscally responsible."

I can assure you, Gov. DeSantis is not talking about fiscal responsibility taking precedence to federal payouts to Florida flood victims after Hurricane Ian.

In fact, while the storm was coming ashore this week, DeSantis was already asking President Joe Biden to order FEMA to write a blank check to Florida by providing 100 percent federal cost sharing for debris removal and emergency protective measures in the state for the next 60 days, with a 90 percent federal cost sharing burden after that initial period.

If DeSantis only knew that Biden’s immediate response to the Florida-bound storm would be magnanimous — “We’ll be there every step of the way,” Biden said — our governor may have been less petty and juvenile in his Fox News performances.

I know, we’ve recently sent you some desperate asylum seekers from Venezuela, unceremoniously dropping them on Martha's Vineyard. Looking back on it, we behaved like a bunch of delinquents playing a game of ding-dong-dash but with people’s lives.”
Weak, partisan shit in the midst of a massive natural disaster. Typical lefty dirty politics.

I guess DiSantis doesn't understand what a true leader does for his or her country. And yet he spends $12m to strand asylum seekers and relies on donations to aid his citizens.

Hilarious op-ed from FL:

Nice Work!

Putting that together took some time & thought......bravo!

Not an issue for mocking shit for brains DeSantis over.

Hilarious op-ed from FL:

As an aside, those Venezuelans?

Get a call into Justin Trudeau. Nova Scotia will accept them, pay them wage, feed them, clothe them and give full health coverage.

The only catch is they will be asked to help clean up the damage from "Fiona".

And....in three years we will give them full citizenship.

I am being a bit simplistic but we would take them in a heartbeat. Any peoples that can survive the trek AND De Sanitize surely have the qualities we seek in new Canadians.

We should help Florida, even if its Governor is likely to turn around and stab the rest of the country in the back once this has passed, because it's the right thing to do. Perhaps doing so might convince some MAGA that the rest of the world isn't and never was their sworn enemy, as they were led to believe.

We should help Florida, even if its Governor is likely to turn around and stab the rest of the country in the back once this has passed, because it's the right thing to do.

...in the end its the people who are in harms way. The governor is one guy. A bad guy. But solo just the same. Yeah, he has a gang.

Just get a bigger, badder, bolder gang!

Weak, partisan shit in the midst of a massive natural disaster. Typical lefty dirty politics.
Aww, the op-ed contains a little hyperbole for comic effect but are there any facts in the op-ed that are untrue?

As an aside, those Venezuelans?

Get a call into Justin Trudeau. Nova Scotia will accept them, pay them wage, feed them, clothe them and give full health coverage.

The only catch is they will be asked to help clean up the damage from "Fiona".

And....in three years we will give them full citizenship.

I am being a bit simplistic but we would take them in a heartbeat. Any peoples that can survive the trek AND De Sanitize surely have the qualities we seek in new Canadians.

Canadas immigration laws are pretty harsh.
I wonder if you really know what you're talking about.

Hilarious op-ed from FL:

BURN ! Well said.

But oh-----"you are playing politics"................come on Florida, wake up !!

Canada accepts more refugees than anyone else.

Well maybe "refugees", and if they help thats great, but Canadas immigration laws are quite stringent.
I know this because I am interested in a dual citizenship.

Well maybe "refugees", and if they help thats great, but Canadas immigration laws are quite stringent.
I know this because I am interested in a dual citizenship.
Tell them you're a refugee. Churches will fall over each other to sponsor you.
Seriously, I live on a remote island on the west coast, population just over 1,000, and we sponsored a Syrian family. Canada accepted 60,000 plus Syrians, if I remember right.
Why would you want Canadian citizenship?

Tell them you're a refugee. Churches will fall over each other to sponsor you.
Seriously, I live on a remote island on the west coast, population just over 1,000, and we sponsored a Syrian family. Canada accepted 60,000 plus Syrians, if I remember right.
Why would you want Canadian citizenship?

Well, I like the Toronto area. I have been thinking of leaving the USA for a long time, off and on. This just isnt my place man. Lots of cool and bright people of course, but WAYYYY more idiots, the idiots are having a contest to see who can be the biggest idiots I think. Its truly bizarre. And the gun nuts. PUKE. And the healthcare. I have a FREE BidenCare™ plan right now and it has been EXCELLENT, I've had everything 100% covered for 2 years and havent paid a DIME. And the way the tax code and everything else favors the wealthy. Just too many things to list, the way so many morons here shriek for these phony constant "wars".
Honestly though I really dont want to be farther north so I'm wishy washy on it, although like I said I like the Toronto area. Also pretty expensive up there for housing, although I would guess its cheaper in the sticks of which there are plenty there too.

Well, I like the Toronto area. I have been thinking of leaving the USA for a long time, off and on. This just isnt my place man. Lots of cool and bright people of course, but WAYYYY more idiots, the idiots are having a contest to see who can be the biggest idiots I think. Its truly bizarre. And the gun nuts. PUKE. And the healthcare. I have a FREE BidenCare™ plan right now and it has been EXCELLENT, I've had everything 100% covered for 2 years and havent paid a DIME. And the way the tax code and everything else favors the wealthy. Just too many things to list, the way so many morons here shriek for these phony constant "wars".
Honestly though I really dont want to be farther north so I'm wishy washy on it, although like I said I like the Toronto area. Also pretty expensive up there for housing, although I would guess its cheaper in the sticks of which there are plenty there too.
You like the Toronto area? Well, they'll like you. When I strayed in that direction as soon as they learned I was from BC they set about convincing me that Toronto was miles better than Vancouver.
Seems to me that the whole reason for a country like Canada is directly opposite the reason for a Toronto but thats just me.

Last edited:
Typical rightie, screaming bloody murder every time one of your heroes’ hypSoocrisy and stupidity is called out.
Where exactly did I scream? With posts like this I'd be careful accusing anyone else of stupidity and hypocrisy.

No its not. The slime bucket couldn't have given a **** about New York when Sandy hit. You bet your ass he has no problem concerning "funding" when it comes to aid for Floriduh. **** him! But I would still vote to give aid to Floriduh because the Federal Government is supposed to support all Americans and not just the wingnuts.

No its not. The slime bucket couldn't have given a **** about New York when Sandy hit. You bet your ass he has no problem concerning "funding" when it comes to aid for Floriduh. **** him! But I would still vote to give aid to Floriduh because the Federal Government is supposed to support all Americans and not just the wingnuts.
stupid misspelling don't strength your post.

Hilarious op-ed from FL:

Everyone is a Libertarian, until they need assistance.

Why can't the right just accept that government assistance is a good thing?

Back
Top Bottom