• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Five Possible Futures for the US Navy

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Technology, especially networked algorithms, is changing the game. But which path will it take the Navy down?

defense-large.jpg

Lots of things that are possible will not happen.

Simpleχity;1065876540 said:

Technology, especially networked algorithms, is changing the game. But which path will it take the Navy down?

defense-large.jpg

Good article, thanks
If you are interested in military futurists there is a fun novel called "Ghost Fleet" out there.

I've seen a lot in almost a half a century of building killing machines but the degree of automation that has come down the pike is hard for me to comprehend.
Its for the kids to deal with now.

Only thing I can add is I don't think we have to worry too much about being out-invented.
We have DARPA
They don't.

The U.S. Navy is in no danger. We have more supercarriers than the rest of the carrier-carrying fleets combined.

:shrug:

Yes over confidence can be your undoing

Simpleχity;1065876540 said:

defense-large.jpg

The navy will stay down the same path, albeit with newer technology. The reality of war between nations seperated by oceans is that those who control the seas control the war. In both days past and now, no country can keep an invading army going if it can not supply it's troops, and when supplying its troops means crossing an ocean, a powerfull navy is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom