• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First returns in election

-- no seats in Northern Ireland

By convention (and fear of being bombed) none of the mainland parties ever contest seats in Northern Ireland.

Conservatives are the party of UK because our first past the post system has given them the most seats.

Eh? so what? Almost all those seats are in England. Hence it is a primarily English and not British party, unlike Labour.

Yes but not if Lib Dems side against Labour and seeing Nick Clegg has acknowledged Conservatives right to seek to form Government. Brown has no chance of clawing power at num 10.
But hey, if Brown wants to amuse the nation for a few weeks then he can go right ahead but I see a no confidence vote.

No that is not what he said. He said that he thinks the biggest party should get a chance to form a government and he said this before the election. That is not saying that Cameron should be PM out of the bat. But according to the rules Gordon Brown has the right to try first.

What are you talking about?
All Scotland seems to go on about is leaving the Union with SNP in particular.
This is a perfect time, they can complain about lack of representation (which is funny seeing Scottish MP's can and have come down and voted on English issues and they have their own Parliament and powers) and leave.

And yet the SNP is not the biggest party in Scotland and the SNP even lost seats to Labour this round. All I see is another conservative being pissed that they have lost all support in Scotland. Even the SNP did not push for Scottish independence this time because it is not popular in Scotland. However a Conservative government might drive that popularity up to mega heights.

They will form Minority Government
As far I can see, Conservatives have a larger mandate to Govern not Labour. No matter how many parties they go begging to join.

And that minority government will hold till the first queens speech which is in under a month. If it survives that, then to the first disagreement.

Considering they needed a swing larger than that of 97. They did brilliant.

They did not win power. Hence it was not good enough.

They may not have won the "slam dunk" but they sure are more legitimate than Labour. Out of all the parties, they have made gains. Lib Dems and Labour has just had losses
Lib Dems as I have said, has given the nod to Cameron.

Oh I agree they are more "legitimate" than labour but Clegg has not given the nod to Cameron. He has just said that he believes that it is the job of the biggest party to attempt to form a government. That does not mean he thinks that the Conservatives should have first shot at doing so. What it does mean is that he will not (lets see) jump into bed with Labour at the start but wait to see what the Conservatives can do once Brown has had his shot.

And Conservatives doesn't necessarily have to budge on electoral reform.
As a Lib Dem voter, I'd be happy if Nick Clegg got Cameron's agreement on a tax reform, healthcare/education, written constitution, fixed terms, elected Lords, smaller number of MPs, referendum on Europe (please God).

I'd trade electoral reform for all of those and those listed above are do-able things that Cameron and Lib Dems can negotiate on.

Then you are not a lib dem voter. That you are willing to trade your future for some minor things here and now, that can be changed very quickly when your support is not needed anymore.. With electoral reform, you as a lib dem, have a chance of being in power in the future.. as it stands now, that will never ever happen.

By convention (and fear of being bombed) none of the mainland parties ever contest seats in Northern Ireland.

Yea you are right I think. They have proxies there that do. Heck some of the parties win seats but never show up .. ever..

Back
Top Bottom