• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fighting racism at schools

What's' your opinion?

• Yes, teaching diversity classes to high school kids is a good idea

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No, don't teach diversity classes

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
I see a problem with "diversity" classes.

That problem being that somebody has to decide what is diversity, what is a problem, and what should be taught.

That decision is always100% agenda driven.
You're right, the agenda is to get closer to equality.

If the goal of the diversity class is to build empathy by simply encouraging white students to hear their fellow students of color and see where they're coming from. White folks are very sensitive, though; the facilitators need to be very warm and inviting in their approach.

Well, that raises the question: Is there any independent evidence that diversity classes ease division, decrease racial animus, and help foster bonds among different racial/ethnic groups?

You're right, the agenda is to get closer to equality.
Except that it is not equality. It is about equity of outcome, not equal opportunity. Those are two very different things. We should all be striving for equal opportunities for everyone, never equity of outcome because that is entirely subjective and can only lead to a totalitarian fascist government.

Except that it is not equality. It is about equity of outcome, not equal opportunity. Those are two very different things. We should all be striving for equal opportunities for everyone, never equity of outcome because that is entirely subjective and can only lead to a totalitarian fascist government.
Nice try. How do you see this creating equal outcomes? Equality in the schools is an opportunity, not an outcome.

Racist parents do not want their kids turned against them. That's all it comes down to.

Well, that raises the question: Is there any independent evidence that diversity classes ease division, decrease racial animus, and help foster bonds among different racial/ethnic groups?

Exposure and education work. See any field where people experience sudden integration. I saw many a man lose his prejudice in the army. Just pierce someone's bubble a little bit and they learn something.

The problem is not a question of whether education is effective. It's effective and that's what some parents fear. Racist parents don't want their kids turned against them. That's the only problem. Those parents will make up all kinds of excuses from "no time for math" to "white victims".

If the goal of the diversity class is to build empathy by simply encouraging white students to hear their fellow students of color and see where they're coming from. White folks are very sensitive, though; the facilitators need to be very warm and inviting in their approach.

As proven in this very thread. 😄

So there's this wealthy Dallas suburb. A viral video showed a bunch of high school kids making racist remarks.

The suburb is 80% white and 4% black.

There was a school meeting and black kids said that they faced racist jokes and remarks on a daily basis.

So the school decided to have a mandatory "diversity" class where kids would be taught to be sensitive to minorities.

White parents lost their minds. School board meetings became a shouting match.

Elections for school board trustees became highly competitive. A lot of out-of-state money was donated to campaigns. People who were against the diversity class were elected.

The diversity class was shut down.

2/3rds of this suburb voted for trump.

A viral video forced a wealthy Texas suburb to confront racism. A 'silent majority' fought back. (nbcnews.com)

My opinion is: I don't see a problem with teaching a kids "diversity" class. Every job I've held has a diversity/sexism class. If schools prepare kids for life, letting kids know that racist behavior isn't allowed in public is a good idea.

What's' your opinion?

agree.....conservatives today just cannot get over desegregation of schools......they essentially are being slowly swallowed by people of color.......first it was desegregation, then blacks proved they could run faster and jump higher, then white girls started noticing those big handsome black guys and wondering 'what it would be like' and then blacks started getting law degrees and now have the audacity to want to teach truth.......what's next....tear down statues of General Lee?....oh wait they just did that.....well the day is coming, and they know it, when they will be stuck in their all white neighborhoods having to watch and root for their alma mater's latest group of black All Americans....hmmm...well never mind I guess

When I went to school it was up to the one being bullied to put an end to it. It was not the place of the school. The bullied need to learn how to deal with bullies, it is an integral part of their education. Which is why schools and parents need to butt out, otherwise the bullied will never learn and become bullied their entire lives.
So let the 6'2" 230lb dude beat the shit out of the 5'4" 130lb dude?

So let the 6'2" 230lb dude beat the shit out of the 5'4" 130lb dude?
Or visa versa. That is the first lesson you have to learn when confronting a bully - you aren't going to win every fight.

However, even those fights you don't win can still end the bullying. Bullies do not want anyone standing against them. So just confronting a bully, regardless of whether you win or lose, may be sufficient to end the bullying.

The second lesson you have to learn when confronting a bully is getting others to confront the bully for you will not work. It is most likely only going to make the bullying worse because you will have demonstrated your cowardice to the bully, giving him encouragement to bully you further.

When I went to school it was up to the one being bullied to put an end to it. It was not the place of the school. The bullied need to learn how to deal with bullies, it is an integral part of their education. Which is why schools and parents need to butt out, otherwise the bullied will never learn and become bullied their entire lives.
Were you disabled?

In Minneapolis schools, they are fighting racism by creating more racism....at least the Teacher's Union is.

NO.

"Diversity classes" are a big waste of time & money.

What is needed is for certain folks to improve their attitude and behavior. Then "racism" would disappear naturally.

You cannot force people to like people who act badly.

Who “acts badly”? Please be more specific.

It’s always amazing to see the latent racism of the right wingers so quickly come out in the open in a thread like this. And they are always very proud of their racism, and do a whole lot of “I am a racist too” signaling to their fellow right wingers.

My problem is that “diversity” has taken on a meaning that suggests affirmative action, quotes and legislative action. I don’t want a situation where entities have to keep and report statistics on the number of LGBQT, people of color, oldsters etc. they employ, and have some nameless bureaucrat pronounce judgement on the entire - maybe even adjudging fines and penalties.

Diversity has to happen naturally, with little effort otherwise it’s just another administrative burden.
If diversity happens naturally, we must stop nature.

You are receiving a semi-coveted bronze MAGA depicting the construction of Trump's beautiful wall:

MAGA

Back
Top Bottom